1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Parts and Accessories Bin

Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 PM

Swenson 1911 parts?

I see these listed on the Midway USA web site and the price looks pretty good. I just wonder about the quality of the parts. I'd like to start replacing some of the MIM parts on my ATI with higher quality parts but have a limited budget to work with. Just wanted to make sure that these half way decent quality before I ordered them. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM

I put a stainless skeletonized hammer on one of my commanders. Fit was excellent and looks sharp. I've also used their grip bushings and screws with good results. No experience with other parts though.

Find Us On Facebook!
Class 01 FFL Dealer
Old 04-17-2012, 09:49 AM

I did some more checking on a few other sights. Guess their small parts like triggers and grip bushing are ok but their other parts seem to be MIM stuff so I'm going to stay clear of them. Figure I'll go Les Baer since the price is about the same. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
I see these listed on the Midway USA web site and the price looks pretty good. I just wonder about the quality of the parts. I'd like to start replacing some of the MIM parts on my ATI with higher quality parts but have a limited budget to work with. Just wanted to make sure that these half way decent quality before I ordered them. Thanks.
Those Swenson parts are just a name that Midway owns, which is rumored that they are rebadged Mason parts. Do you have a list of the parts you'd like to replace?

Last edited by crashoverrideplik; 04-17-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:27 AM

Run, don't walk, away. These are not of the quality that should be associated with the Swenson name. For the most part (at least with parts I have seen and measured) they are usually either grossly out of spec, made of inferior material or just plain not well quality controlled.

If money is an issue I would recommend going with Wilson factory plus or Ed Brown. Both companies are of proven quality. The Factory plus parts may not be in the same league as the Barstock (Hardcore or Bulletproof series') but they are usually dimensionally stable.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:13 AM

The only thing that I'm getting that'll be Swenson will be the light weight trigger. It's on sale for $9.99. I'll polish the sides so it'll work smoothly. Other then that I'm going Les Baer or Colt, maybe Wilson Combat for some parts. I'd have to get into my "Wish List" on the Midway USA site to get a list of parts that I'm going to replace and who makes them. Might have to set down and commit that list to paper so I can post it up here for ya'll to see.
Figure a few higher quality parts would go a long way to keeping my ATI running right over the long run. Plus, I just love working on guns and especially 1911's, kind of a hobby of mine. It's really neat to put a high quality part on a gun and get it tweaked in. Also, I'd like to go with some stainless parts for contrast against the matte blue finish on the gun, think it'll "Class it Up" a bit.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM

Ok, parts I plan on getting are, in order:
Swenson Trigger(on order)
Les Baer Ejector(on order)

Next order will be:
Les Baer Extractor
Cylinder & Slide FPS
Colt Titanium Firing Pin.

Next order:
Cylinder & Slide Thumb Safety
Les Baer Slide Stop

Last order:
Les Baer NM Barrel Bushing
Les Baer Disconnector.

May do the Sear and Hammer and Hammer Strut at a later date. Also would like a Stainless checkered Main spring Housing too but not a priority.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN.Frank View Post
Ok, parts I plan on getting are, in order:
Swenson Trigger(on order)
Les Baer Ejector(on order)

Next order will be:
Les Baer Extractor
Cylinder & Slide FPS
Colt Titanium Firing Pin.

Next order:
Cylinder & Slide Thumb Safety
Les Baer Slide Stop

Last order:
Les Baer NM Barrel Bushing
Les Baer Disconnector.

May do the Sear and Hammer and Hammer Strut at a later date. Also would like a Stainless checkered Main spring Housing too but not a priority.
You could do one of the cylinder & Slide & piece kits like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/844...ies-70-80-blue

It would make a big difference in your ATI.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
You could do one of the cylinder & Slide & piece kits like this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/844...ies-70-80-blue

It would make a big difference in your ATI.
While that IS a good idea I simply won't have the funds all at once. Plus, I've already installed a Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Sear Spring and 21# main spring so I'm "good to go" on those parts. I just plan on getting parts $50-$60 bucks at a time since my "allowance" if $50 bucks every two weeks. Money my wife gives me for taking care of the house and having dinner ready for her when she gets home from work while I'm unemployed,LOL. Kind of sucks being out of work.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:54 PM

I wouldn't be scared of a Swenson part but don't expect Wilson quality. Like you I am building in the most cost effective manner I can so I just bought a Swenson slide stop in matte stainless. First off the finish is horrible but after I got the finish off it did polish out nice. There were some minor tool marks from the factory. After polishing it up and smoothing things out it just dropped in no fitting required. I did not try to fit it before polishing so I don't know if it would have gone in so easy without some minor fitting but isn't fitting parts half the fun of a 1911. So far it's functioned flawlessly but if in the near future it breaks or starts causing malfunctions I'll post again and let everyone know but so far so good like I said before the only draw back I've found is the finish.