1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM

Dye my boots ??

First time post from a new member. I traded a shotgun for a nearly new Kimber SCHD and absolutely love it. These forums have helped in many ways and I've learned alot. Thanks.
A few years ago I had a pair of boots made from an alligator i killed. They are really nice except for the color. (i picked the wrong color) Does anyone know of a product I can use to make them a normal brown color. Thanks again, Ken
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM

Take them to your local shoe smith. He will be able to advise as to what dyes will work best.

Also, ask whomever made them. They would know too.

I've used liquid and spray dyes on holsters and boots, but never alligator, which is a whole different surface.

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM

Teal,if they are already blue,wear them to the BBQ with your best old Colt. That way you are never over-dressed.

Please tell us what color the boots are now. PM me a link to a pic?

Last edited by Shad Roe; 04-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:42 AM

Boots are "Peanut Brittle" color and were made somewhere in Texas. I was hoping to do it myself. I can't find the fella's name that made them
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal fun View Post
Does anyone know of a product I can use to make them a normal brown color.
What caliber are these boots? .45 ACP, 9mm... What are we looking at here??
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 PM

Horoscope,

Sounds like some kinda Wildcat Cartridge to me!

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM

Can't even think of something to say; easy to reload?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM

yea, you guy's are real funny. To bad none of ya are any smarter than I am either
Old 04-17-2012, 03:06 PM

Try taking them to a local boot and shoe repair shop or saddle shop. It really depends on how they were sealed as to whether or not you can get new dye to penetrate and give you the color you want. You could also take them to a local Tandy Leathercraft shop and ask the folks there if they could recommend a cleaner/sealant remover and new dye for you.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM

Did you kill the gator with the shotgun or the Kimber?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM

Word of caution: I have a pair of distressed, goat/lizard, Lucchese boots I took in for heel caps. The shoe maker after he was done, he tried to be nice and applied a clear coat, and buffed them to a shine. Outraged, I took them to the boot store where I purchased them and they just shoot their heads. Essentially, the shoe maker ruined their original finish, and look by applying the clear. You might be better off leaving your current finish as another poster said, it depends on how they were finished originally as too how they turn out. I now leave instructions: Please do not to do anything I didn't ask for, thank you.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:29 PM

As a real shoe and boot maker, not a cobbler, let me "splain". Brown is one of the hardest colors to get even and consistent. Now that you have worn them the only thing to do to get an even color of any kind but black is to strip the color with solvent. Febings makes about 14 shades of brown dye Dyo-flex and LCI each have about 6 and mixing instructions for more. The solvent will most likely activate the glue in the soles, heel counter and toe stiffener. My stock answer in my shop is like Henry Ford's you can have them any color you want as long as it is black.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 PM

If you can find this dye it works great.

http://www.angelusshoepolish.com/
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal fun View Post
Boots are "Peanut Brittle" color and were made somewhere in Texas. I was hoping to do it myself. I can't find the fella's name that made them
I wear boots everyday and have seen and done several attempts at the home dye job, it doesn't work. I also agree that brown is the hardest color to match and not streak. My recommendation is head on down to Lousianna and find another Gator for a new pair of boots, this will mean you have 2 pair of boots at least and are on your way to having enough to last you awhile. Good luck...

Pray for our Soldiers as you pass that Church...
Proud Father of a Cav Trooper...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:39 PM

Thanks for some great replies and advise. I killed the gator with a powerhead after I harpooned him, 11'1". I think if I do dye them I'll go with black. I will take them to a quality shoe maker first. Thanks again for some good information. Ken
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM

This has nothing to do with holsters or any gun accessories.