1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 04-15-2012, 06:40 AM

AMT Backup 45 ?

What kind of experience have to you had with the stainless-steel AMT Backup in 45 ACP ?

Old 04-15-2012, 07:29 AM

I had both the .45acp and 9mm AMT Backup....bought them new...hated them both...they will eat your hand up....couldn't get rid of them fast enough....
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 AM

I'd agree with above... for every one person that loves it I read probably 5 that hate it.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM

Had the .45, please don't do it. There is a reason why this company no longer exists.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM

I have the 380 backup..........I stick it in my pocket when i'm going fishing or something. Don't really like it , plus it's a pain to take apart......
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 PM

The 9mm was very reliable and small. Although a little heavy it made a great pocket gun. Now shooting a box of cartridges was a different matter but I like a little pain. The 45 has to be quite a handful.

I got a good one. There were some lemons that usually make the discussion. It was ahead of its time.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM

A friend had one in .45 ACP that I shot a few Hydra Shoks through. It was painful. Up until then, I was thinking it was a neat carry gun.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM

AMT was taken over by High Standard; the DAO is still a catalogued item in .380 in the small frame; 9mm, 38 Super, .357 SIG, .40 S & W, .400 CorBon, and .45ACP in the larger frame. I have seen a High Standard marked version at a gun show in Houston(where High Standard is located) although it was several years back. It would be fun to get a .40 S & W version and have the chamber reamed out to 10mm dimensions.

I have an AMT from the first or second year of production. Had it tuned by Teddy Jacobsen right after I bought it. Mine is reliable with both standard and +P loadings, will draw blood at the web of your hand, has manageable recoil, and is surprisingly accurate. Trigger is still heavy but much smoother after the tune-up.

I wish it had an aluminum frame. It is about 5 ounces too heavy for pocket carry, especially when loaded with 230 grain FMJ. If it had an alloy frame and was loaded with specialty ammo like the RBCD 90 grain or the Glaser Safety Slug it would make it as a true pocket pistol. When I need a pocket carry I find myself grabbing my Airweight S & W Bodyguard (pre-lock .38 Special) instead of the AMT. If I needed a deep carry I would not hesitate to grab the AMT and a Thunderwear pouch holster.

One of these days I'll pull it apart, knock the sharp edges off the bottom of the slide, polish off the safety warnings (will fire with mag removed, read the manual), and refinish it in no-glare black. I think it's a neat design of relatively limited usefulness.

Last edited by AreB; 04-15-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM

Have one, shoot one with 230 ball ammo and it runs 100%. I like it for being a very compact size 45 cal pistol. The AMT Backup 45 is not for everyone espeacially if your recoil sensitive and its not really for target shooting with the groove sight but it works great for me and I take advantage of that small powerful size pistol in certain carry situations.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM

Are all the AMT'S double action only ?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 PM

Yes, they are DAO, with a long trigger pull.

In answer to the OP, I've got one and carry it now and then. Like Compact45, I shoot 230 gr. ball. At the range, I'll run a box of ammo through it and then it's time to put it away...

The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREEMAN View Post
Are all the AMT'S double action only ?
The original AMT BackUp in .380 was single action. I believe it is out of production. All of the larger calibers are DAO.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 AM

Amt buck up 45 is great

I have an Amt b/u 45. It shoots great, it is a heavy all stainless steel pistol with an equally heavy trigger pull. It is a pistol designed for self defense not target shooting. I stripped the gun down to pins and springs, it is a well designed and simple gun. I plan to post pics on my website of it. The Amt got a bum rap if it were released new today in the height of concealed carry movement it would be a success(My humble opinion). Amt b/u will run great with a fresh recoil spring and a strut/mainspring. The heavy trigger pull is the result of a stiff strut/mainspring which serves two functions. First as safety requiring a "deliberate" trigger pull. Second the hammer powered by the uber stiff strut/mainspring forcefully thrusts the slide foward thus stipping a round from the shortened 1911 magazine into the chamber via the polished power feed ramp(another 1911 feature) and firmly locking the slide into battery(of course the recoil spring is involved in the aforementioned process). It's heavy weight and trigger pull are viewed as cons but they make the recoil manageable as well. With Winchester pdx1 230 grain hollow points or Hornady critical defense 180 grain the gun runs perfect. Basically anything that mimics a round nose fmj bullet. When firing the absence of sights may be discomforting to some, but it worked quiet while with the concept of point and shoot with both eyes open(which defense shooting consist of). Overall great gun way ahead of it's time, and chambered in the classic man stopper .45 AUTO!

Gunwrite.com

Mr. Gunwrite

Last edited by Gunwritedotcom; 05-31-2012 at 11:49 AM.