1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 04-14-2012, 09:58 PM

Range Officer Accuracy

We have all heard how great the Range Officer is in regards to accuracy. Well, I put to the test today with some of my hand loads. 50yds using a Ransom Rest produced a 1.82" group with a seven shot string. Pictures are of the same target, just reversed as we shot from the backside and by chance, everything centered around the X ring when flipped. I am really impressed with this gun considering the cost.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 PM

Everything I have heard about the Range Officer makes me want to buy one over any other handgun I've considered. Might have to have it refinished blued, however.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:49 PM

The RO is a great gun and I agree if it would be nice to have one with more luster.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:12 AM

I dunno. I like my RO the way it is. I've never been a big fan of shiny guns, but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbutt View Post
I dunno. I like my RO the way it is. I've never been a big fan of shiny guns, but that's just my opinion.
Amen!

I'd prefer it was dull, dark, and ugly.

Then folks would not snatch them up from the LGS on the day they arrive.

I've been shooting handguns since the 1950's, shot NRA 2700 matches in the 1960's, and for the past few years have been shooting the local, very informal Bullseye matches. My average .45 score jumped about 10 points when I tried a Range Officer a couple of months ago. I've since shot the best scores ever in Bullseye practice and matches.

Simply the best .45 ACP I have ever owned, and maybe --- the best handgun I've owned (and all this is from a guy that prefers revolvers!!!!).

JMHO
Old 04-16-2012, 07:25 PM

Yep. Those Ransom rests can really humble a shooter, especially with a nicely built 1911 like the RO.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:39 PM

Only problem is now you know its you and not the gun and ammo when you stray out into the 8 ring. Since I haven't bench rested my gun/ammo I can still blame them for my 8's
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM

That's a helluva problem. That must be a well fitted 1911 to shoot like that.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:04 PM

I've had my RO for about 15 months and have been extremely satisfied. Here is a 5-shot group from 25 yds (supported)..
Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithNyst View Post
I've had my RO for about 15 months and have been extremely satisfied. Here is a 5-shot group from 25 yds (supported)..
Looks like you had a flyer. I'd call SA and send it back for repair.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM

SA must really be throwing out some nice and very well fit ROs. I can shoot one hole groups with my WC at 25 yds, but cannot with my TRP or TM. My best supported group with my TRP Operator was a smidgen under two inches at 25 yards. Slightly worse with my TM.

Nothing to complain about here fellas. Nice to see groups a little further out the than the usual ragged hole 21 ft.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 PM

On the day I shot the group posted, I had fired 5 targets, 5-shots each and really took my time. The target I posted earlier in the thread was the best of the five ... the other 4 were somewhat larger groups, but even the biggest group was sub-2". It's quite amazing what the RO is cabable of for the money, one of the best buys out there for .45 target shooting from my perspective. I also love my Model 41 S&W.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
On the day I shot the group posted, I had fired 5 targets, 5-shots each and really took my time. The target I posted earlier in the thread was the best of the five ... the other 4 were somewhat larger groups, but even the biggest group was sub-2". It's quite amazing what the RO is cabable of for the money, one of the best buys out there for .45 target shooting from my perspective. I also love my Model 41 S&W.
Absolutely a valid perspective. Never handled a 41, but they are supposed to be amazing. A couple weekends ago, I hit a soda can at 61 yards free hand with my single six, first shot out of the holster. After I hit it and the jaws dropped, I had to go find my rangefinder and commence the bragging lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:33 PM

They truly are a great value for the money. Fit a nice match bushing to one and they tighten up even a little more. We have worked on several of them, and crawled all over them with a microscope. They are fit extremely consistently.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
As a result of time considerations, this was my only string of the day with this load. Ended up being the best of all, but only one string. Might have been able to improve by doing 5 strings of the same load and picking the best.

200gr Magnus LSWC, 3.8gr VVN310, CCI Primer, new Starline case with a .469 crimp and 1.250 OAL.