1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 04-14-2012, 01:01 AM

Gun Safe; best bang for the buck

Need some help, i'm Looking to buy a gun safe, and didn't want to buy one just because of a name painted on it. A mid size rifle safe that would have the standared dial type nob. Just looking for a good quality safe that would be fire rated. I,m open for learning more so any personal experiance good or bad will help.
Thanks up front
Old 04-14-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKandU View Post
Need some help, i'm Looking to buy a gun safe, and didn't want to buy one just because of a name painted on it. A mid size rifle safe that would have the standared dial type nob. Just looking for a good quality safe that would be fire rated. I,m open for learning more so any personal experiance good or bad will help.
Thanks up front
Sturdy Safe

m
Old 04-14-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp_foo View Post
Wow that looks awesome, just watched all their videos.. Seems awesome!
Love USA made things!

-Nigel
Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 AM

Price range and capacity will get you more answers. But, my first safe was a liberty made centurion 12 gun safe. Made in china, 12ga steel with 20minute fire rating about $400. I still have it and it's filled with ammo now.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:54 AM

Check out this one at Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_292952-10283...afe&facetInfo=

I have one of these and it is excellent for the money. Usually priced at around $400 but sometimes on sale for under $300. Hundreds of reviews on the Lowes website, with most four or five stars.

Last edited by johnbrowning1911; 04-15-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 AM

Keep in mind a gun safe only buys time, and for the most part, protects you against the smash and grab burglars. But if they sell the info to a gang who might be more interested in what is in that safe, they may show up with more equipment to defeat your protection. Been there and done that complete with a shoot out! Had two large safes full of guns, mostly high dollar competition guns. Added up to more than 175 guns/rifles/shotguns. Never lost a one of them. One was a Treadway, one a custom. I had installed a fire sprinkler head over each just in case of fire as it was an older house. Even with efforts of pros, the safes were hard to get into in a reasonable time without a plasma cutter. Neither was exotic nor expensive...less than $500.
I had both of them bolted to the floor and the wall behind. By themselves they were heavy enough to require some heavy duty moving equipment and with the guns and ammo they were nearly impossible to move without dedicated moving equipment.
I also installed a 15/20 Watt bulb that constantly burned for humidity control. Never had any problems.
Semper Fi
Rocky
Old 04-14-2012, 07:56 AM

Might check out Tractor Supply.. they sell a Cannon 30 rifle safe for about $699. Good value/price.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 AM

I have a patient who is a locksmith by day and runs a gun shop by night. I picked his brain for this same question and he recommended the value line from American Security so that is what I am looking at right now. Looks pretty nice and made in USA FWIW.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:05 AM

I really like my Liberty. Plus, their customer service is spectacular.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 AM

I bought american and bought a Sturdy Safe 3627-6 safe last year. It's a beast and I'm very happy with it. It weighed 1080 lbs empty and has 7gauge body steel and thick door. The 6 foot height makes a nice difference as well.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Thanks Again; I was thinking I'd have to spend $1,000 to get a average safe that would buy me some time against a break in. If you guys think that a $500.oo safe will do the job that will save me alot of money. I've heard it said buy a little bigger safe than you need now. My goal was to be able to have some room left over in the safe to store some personal electronics. Is it ok to store ammunition in the same safe as your guns I thought it be fine but thought I'd ask.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKandU View Post
Thanks Again; I was thinking I'd have to spend $1,000 to get a average safe that would buy me some time against a break in. If you guys think that a $500.oo safe will do the job that will save me alot of money. I've heard it said buy a little bigger safe than you need now. My goal was to be able to have some room left over in the safe to store some personal electronics. Is it ok to store ammunition in the same safe as your guns I thought it be fine but thought I'd ask.
It really depends on what you mean by, "do the job." Only you can define the level of security that you need. Do you need a Residential Security Container (RSC) or do you need a real safe? Do you understand the difference? Real safes cost real money. A lot more than $500.

And I'm not making any judgments here. They all have their place. And lord knows trying to sort through the intricacies of buying a safe can be confusing. But it's important that you know and understand the level of security your buying, both so that you can get the most bang for your buck and so that you have a very clear understanding of just how much security you do...or don't...have.

For example, it would be a shame if you thought you had a top line, real safe with top line fire protection and decided to forgo buying firearm insurance, only to find out that the 1200 degree, 30 minute fire rating on your RSC, probably won't protect your valuables if you ever experienced a total burn down house fire that can hit 1700 degrees or more. And even the top of the line safes are only rated at 30 minutes against a "knoweldgeable" thief with tools. Imagine how quickly that thief could probably get into a RSC.

There's no quick way to shortcut the safe buying process (IMO). Internet opinions on brands can be helpful but at the end of the day, you have to spend a bit of time educating yourself on safe construction so you have a clear understanding of what you're buying.

Here's a couple sites that might help...

Brown Safe - These are the real deal. The price will make you faint...it makes me faint. But there's a ton of good information on this site...although it's not laid out the best.
http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/...ire_Safes.html

Gun Safe's Buyer Guide:
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Good luck!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 PM

Its important to decide what you want the safe to do:

1. Protect the contents no matter what? Fire? Professional thief with tools? Etc?
2. Prevent access to the guns by unauthorized personnel (children, guests, etc)?
3. Protect the contents from the grab and go type BG?

Personally, I'm not as worried about theft of my guns as I am about access by unauthorized personnel. My safe is part of a layered security strategy. If they make it past the other security measures and then still have the time and tools to crack the safe, not a big deal. The guns would not be the most attractive items to steal in any event. I'd rather buy a lower end safe and spend the rest of the money on the higher layers of security like a sophisticated alarm system and dog food.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbrowning1911 View Post
Its important to decide what you want the safe to do:

1. Protect the contents no matter what? Fire? Professional thief with tools? Etc?
2. Prevent access to the guns by unauthorized personnel (children, guests, etc)?
3. Protect the contents from the grab and go type BG?

Personally, I'm not as worried about theft of my guns as I am about access by unauthorized personnel. My safe is part of a layered security strategy. If they make it past the other security measures and then still have the time and tools to crack the safe, not a big deal. The guns would not be the most attractive items to steal in any event. I'd rather buy a lower end safe and spend the rest of the money on the higher layers of security like a sophisticated alarm system and dog food.
Great points! A person can also buy an awful lot of insurnace for the price of a large TL30 rated safe. There's a balance to be struck but that blance will vary for each of us. And while I'm sure we all have some things that we would regard as irreplaceable if they were lost, I suspect a good portion of what goes into most safes is, essentially, just stuff. Granted is expensive stuff, but a good portion of it is probably replaceable. There's not a gun I own that can't be replaced. And I'm not implying that we shouldn't do our best to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals. But from a purely monetary standpoint firearms are replaceable for the most part.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post

Here's a couple sites that might help...

Brown Safe - These are the real deal. The price will make you faint...it makes me faint. But there's a ton of good information on this site...although it's not laid out the best.
http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/...ire_Safes.html

Gun Safe's Buyer Guide:
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Good luck!
I've been thinking about a Fort Knox safe for a while but dang those Brown safes are sweet! Going to have to look into those a little more.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM

American Warrior

http://www.patriotsafe.com/American-...ion_p_551.html

If you let the salesman sweat for about a week they usually come down to around $2500 shipped/delivered and brought into the first floor.

"The tree of liberty must be replenished from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-14-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky! View Post
I've been thinking about a Fort Knox safe for a while but dang those Brown safes are sweet! Going to have to look into those a little more.
Yes, they would be my first choice if I had the money. They have a couple of testimonials up on two safes that survived the San Diego wild fires of 2007. My father lost his house in that one. Got his horses hitched up and were pulling out of the drive just as the flames came over the back of the house. Seriously scary.

http://www.brownsafe.com/categories/...onialIntro.htm
Old 04-14-2012, 08:34 PM

Well, we can talk about safes until we are blue, but the proof is in the real world. I'm sure all of the safes listed so far are good, but here's one that survived a real test:

As you can see this is a Liberty Centurion. I took this picture in Dec 2011. This happened on Thanksgiving day. The owner was out at his in-law's house for Turkey dinner. The thieves broke into the house and worked on the safe for three hours. They never got in. They left a bunch of broken tools behind. The safe was located in a closet and bolted to the floor. Liberty replaced the safe for free including removing the old safe and installing the new one. This is Liberty's bottom of the line safe.

If the low end one can handle this, how good are the upper level ones?

This sold me. I now have a Liberty Fat Boy Jr. in my house. I would have bought the regular Fat Boy, but it wouldn't fit through the door.

One more thing. Whatever you get, be sure to get a bigger one. As big as mine is, I'm already thinking about a larger one.

www.blackrivertraining.com
Old 04-14-2012, 09:47 PM

I too would recommend Cannon Safes. Costco sells them at a really good price shipped.

This one the run on sale for $699 all the time. http://m.costco.com/?p=aHR0cDovL3d3d...RvcG5hdj0mcz0x

Check out their website for all the info on them. Www.cannonsafe.com
Old 04-15-2012, 04:52 AM

the best safe is the one you can afford,we would all like to own big thick steel made in USA safes because that is the best of the heap but thats not always the case...
Many safes are sheetrock wrapped in metal which helps to keep the price down but wont keep out a trained thief ......That being said do u live in an area with trained thieves,or tornadoes that may knock your house down ,do you keep thousands of dollars worth of guns and money ? This determains IMO what safe you need
Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Banned

I bought a Gardall about twelve years ago and could not be happier with it.

http://www.gardall.com/
Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 AM

We had a break in last year and guns stolen.

Now we have a safe. But not just a safe.....also home security with motion sensors and cameras recording 24/7 around the house and around where the safe is.

Take it from someone who has had guns stolen. SUPPLEMENT your safe with a good security system......they go hand in hand. The days of protecting your valuables ina safe (with no security system) are long gone. I could now not imagine leaving the house without the security system on (even with a safe).

Learn from me......I learned the hard way.

Last edited by shooterinpa; 04-15-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastoff View Post
Well, we can talk about safes until we are blue, but the proof is in the real world. I'm sure all of the safes listed so far are good, but here's one that survived a real test:

As you can see this is a Liberty Centurion. I took this picture in Dec 2011. This happened on Thanksgiving day. The owner was out at his in-law's house for Turkey dinner. The thieves broke into the house and worked on the safe for three hours. They never got in. They left a bunch of broken tools behind. The safe was located in a closet and bolted to the floor. Liberty replaced the safe for free including removing the old safe and installing the new one. This is Liberty's bottom of the line safe.

If the low end one can handle this, how good are the upper level ones?

This sold me. I now have a Liberty Fat Boy Jr. in my house. I would have bought the regular Fat Boy, but it wouldn't fit through the door.

One more thing. Whatever you get, be sure to get a bigger one. As big as mine is, I'm already thinking about a larger one.
I bought a 35 gun Liberty Lincoln model just the other day for the house I'm about to close on. Not a cheap safe, but with it's warranty I have a LOT of confidence in it. Had planned to get the model below it but they were out, so for more bolts to keep the door secured and a longer burn time, I knew I'd never regret the upgrade. Sad thing is I only have a few long guns! Guess its time to buy more or fill it up with ammo!

http://www.concealedcampus.org/
Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM

My first post here, I hope it is considered to be a good one.

My thoughts. I should take a second to explain that I have been a locksmith and safe technician for well over 30 years now.

I am the guy that has to open up the safe after the "bungling burglars" gave their hand a try.

Any safe is better than no safe or a simple wooden gun cabinet with a padlock on it.

As was mentioned above. You need to weigh your needs for protection from theft & fire against cost. Yes the better safes cost a lot more, as they should. No one but yourself can figure out that answer. My best suggestion is to talk to as many different safe company's as you can and go look at the various models so you can to determine what will suit your needs the best.

Whatever safe you go with, make sure you bolt it down. This will stop most thieves from simply pulling it out of the house and taking it to another location where they will have as much time as they need, to get it open.

Lastly, buy as big a safe as you can afford. You will run out of room inside of it. Everyone does sooner or later. LOL

To answer a question that was asked above.

It is not a good idea to store your ammo or gun powder in your gun safe. If your safe is in a fire, the high heat could set off the powder and turn your safe, into a safe grenade.

All of the mfgrs listed in this thread make a good safe. Some are better than the others. But that goes without saying.

Search out your local area to see if you have any locksmiths or safe company's that sell safes. Some times you might find them to have as good if not better pricing as the local discount houses. Many times the "pro's" will have the higher end safes at similar prices to the discount houses lower rated safes.

I hope this helps out a little.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Polaris,

Welcome to the group and great post with lots of valuable info.

I am too in search of a safe for the near future and I really like what sturdy safe has to offer.. But I will be going to my local locksmith that our store does business with and asking a bunch of questions to the owner which is a safe tech for somewhere around 100 years.. I think with the Internet we are easy to forget sources of valuable info like a local professional. I also know my local guy sells used safes and I wouldn't mind buying a used good quality safe even if I have to retro fit the interior for my needs.