1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM

This is book. Anyone have experience? Is this a good start. Would like to order one now
Old 04-17-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfHunter View Post
This is book. Anyone have experience? Is this a good start. Would like to order one now
what book?

imho, lyman's 49th is very good with the load process. load recipe data is good, too. then look to the powder companies for load data - specifically, the powder you wish to use.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
what book?

imho, lyman's 49th is very good with the load process. load recipe data is good, too. then look to the powder companies for load data - specifically, the powder you wish to use.
This book

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Reloa...#ht_2434wt_691
Old 04-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
that's a good one, get that and the lyman 49th - if only one, get the lyman 49th.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
that's a good one, get that and the lyman 49th - if only one, get the lyman 49th.
Both work for me
Old 04-17-2012, 06:25 PM

Ok both books ordered. What else guys?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 PM

Can anyone recommend a good tumbler?
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM

Will this work with the lee press I got?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/851...-bullet-puller
Old 04-18-2012, 03:36 PM

Digital calipers ordered. Recommendation on tumblers?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Digital calipers ordered. Recommendation on tumblers?
i've had a few and now i'm really liking the cabela's 400.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM

Lyman magnum hammer pulled ordered.

Anyone have experience with the Frankford tumbler and the rcbs media separator? I found a good deal on both and they are throwing in walnut media.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:54 AM

Anyone have Experience with the hornady lock and load digital scale?
Old 04-20-2012, 05:12 AM

Digital scale

Your Lee Progessive 1000 only has three holes in the tool head for dies, so you will not have the ability to use a taper crimp (unless they redesigned the press!) You have not mentioned what caliber you plan to load......

I hope you are mechanically inclined and a "tinkerer." You may have to "tinker" with your press quite often to get it to run smoothly without hang-ups. In my opinion, the Lee primer feed system is the weak link in their progressive press designs.

As far as scales, the Dillon eliminator is an excellent beam scale. A good digital scale is more expensive, and not necessary. A scale with a good set of check weights allows you to check the consistency of your powder charges. It is a good idea to check how accurate your powder dispenser throws charges, it may vary with different types of powders, and some powders may not meter very well. A good goal is to have powder that meters to +/- .1 grain. Anything greater than .1 grain variance is not good.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpetrone View Post
Your Lee Progessive 1000 only has three holes in the tool head for dies, so you will not have the ability to use a taper crimp (unless they redesigned the press!) You have not mentioned what caliber you plan to load......

I hope you are mechanically inclined and a "tinkerer." You may have to "tinker" with your press quite often to get it to run smoothly without hang-ups. In my opinion, the Lee primer feed system is the weak link in their progressive press designs.

As far as scales, the Dillon eliminator is an excellent beam scale. A good digital scale is more expensive, and not necessary. A scale with a good set of check weights allows you to check the consistency of your powder charges. It is a good idea to check how accurate your powder dispenser throws charges, it may vary with different types of powders, and some powders may not meter very well. A good goal is to have powder that meters to +/- .1 grain. Anything greater than .1 grain variance is not good.
I believe that is what the factory crimp die is for.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 PM

Lee Pro 1000

The Lee Pro 1000 has a three station tool head. One hole will be used for the resizing die, one hole for the powder drop, and the last hole to seat the bullet....no room for any brand of crimp die, either a taper crimp die or the Lee FCrimp die.

Some users get around this by decapping and resiizng then hand priming all their brass. Seems like a lot of wasted time to do this.....

Unless I missed this, what caliber are you planning to reload?
Old 04-20-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
The Lee Pro 1000 has a three station tool head. One hole will be used for the resizing die, one hole for the powder drop, and the last hole to seat the bullet....no room for any brand of crimp die, either a taper crimp die or the Lee FCrimp die.

Some users get around this by decapping and resiizng then hand priming all their brass. Seems like a lot of wasted time to do this.....

Unless I missed this, what caliber are you planning to reload?
So what's my best option for crimping? I'm doing 45acp.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:40 AM

Three hole turret press

The bullet seating die has to be set correctly so it seats the bullet to the proper depth and roll crimp the case mouth simultaneously so the case flair is made flush with the body of the case. You don't want to actually crimp the case, just remove the flair on the case mouth from the expanding operation.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
The bullet seating die has to be set correctly so it seats the bullet to the proper depth and roll crimp the case mouth simultaneously so the case flair is made flush with the body of the case. You don't want to actually crimp the case, just remove the flair on the case mouth from the expanding operation.
So my seating die will remove the flare?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:26 PM

richpeterone wrote:
In my opinion, the Lee primer feed system is the weak link in their progressive press designs.

In my opinion, the primer feed system is the weak link in all progressive press designs. The two best that I have used are the Hornady L-N-L and the Dillon 1050, but they are still far from perfect and rely too much on precise alignment--very precise.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:29 PM

Smurfhumter: Read the directions that come with the die set and almost any manual and they will walk you through the set-up of a seating die to seat and crimp.
1) Using a dummy inert round, set the bullet seating depth
2) get the seating stem out of the way and adjust the die body to get the crimp you want on the dummy round
3) Lock the die body down and turn the seating stem down until it makes contact with the seated bullet in the dummy round.
4) Use just enough taper "crimp" to allow the round to chamber easily in your barrel(s).
Old 04-23-2012, 10:50 PM

Updated. Any tips and advice greatly appreciated
Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Updated. Any tips and advice greatly appreciated
adjust your dies as dictated by building a few dummy rounds, checking the oal and crimp diameter - and of course, having all dummies pass the plunk test. if the round is .45acp, a slight taper crimp is all that's required at the most.

if you can, flood the powder measure - via cycling with graphite powder (dry or wet) to "condition" it. this was a great tip for me from Nick A, and has made a difference for me with bullseye powder throws.

build a case with a reversed SPENT primer. use that to cycle the powder measure, then run off a whole bunch of throws, scaling each one on a weight tested scale in order to check the measure's volume/weight consistency. you may wanna build yer initial 50-100 (or more) rounds by validating every single powder throw. this can be a confidence builder of sorts. when you do have the powder measure consistency confidence, check every 10th throw, just to be sure.

as you gain loading experience, you will also gain confidence as you see that *slight* variations to the pistol load recipe don't matter much at all. this can be particularly important with regards to consistent powder throws and round oal. still, stay focused when assembling rounds and don't get over confident and take a cavalier approach. there's a balance of respect to be had whence messing with thingys that go "bang!".
Old 04-24-2012, 05:48 AM

smurf check out smart reloader products from midsouth shooters supply. the have a good deal on tumbler combos. also you can get corn cob media from a petsmart or other discount animal supply. walnut media is lizard bedding also alot cheaper at petsmart.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
adjust your dies as dictated by building a few dummy rounds, checking the oal and crimp diameter - and of course, having all dummies pass the plunk test. if the round is .45acp, a slight taper crimp is all that's required at the most.

if you can, flood the powder measure - via cycling with graphite powder (dry or wet) to "condition" it. this was a great tip for me from Nick A, and has made a difference for me with bullseye powder throws.

build a case with a reversed SPENT primer. use that to cycle the powder measure, then run off a whole bunch of throws, scaling each one on a weight tested scale in order to check the measure's volume/weight consistency. you may wanna build yer initial 50-100 (or more) rounds by validating every single powder throw. this can be a confidence builder of sorts. when you do have the powder measure consistency confidence, check every 10th throw, just to be sure.

as you gain loading experience, you will also gain confidence as you see that *slight* variations to the pistol load recipe don't matter much at all. this can be particularly important with regards to consistent powder throws and round oal. still, stay focused when assembling rounds and don't get over confident and take a cavalier approach. there's a balance of respect to be had whence messing with thingys that go "bang!".
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
smurf check out smart reloader products from midsouth shooters supply. the have a good deal on tumbler combos. also you can get corn cob media from a petsmart or other discount animal supply. walnut media is lizard bedding also alot cheaper at petsmart.

Both great. Thank you. I should have a book today.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM

OP updated. Any other suggestions for making 45?