1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM

Colt Mustang still has it...

My wife has been carrying "my" Colt Mustang for a short while now. I'm glad because I carried it for several years as a BUG and its been in the safe now for about 4 years. Plus, My wife has a good gun to carry. I got her on the range yesterday with the Mustang. We started at 5 yards and got as far away as 15 yards. My wife isn't a "shooter", at least not yet She kept everything in the bottle of an FBI-Q target. I plan on helping her work on a consistent grip and breathing technique. I was happy and she says she's ready to go back to the range. Did anyone else know that .380 is more expensive than .45?
The pic below is when we moved back to the 5 yard line to let her hit a few head shots.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 AM

Awesome...but every woman I've always been with like expensive things...ammo not withstanding!!

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 AM

Nice... So if she's "not a shooter," how'd you get her out there? (my wife currently has a gun phobia that I'm trying to break)
Old 04-12-2012, 07:46 AM

I don't know about your wife but teaching my wife to shoot is very similar to teaching her how to drive a stick shift. Certain instruction should be avoided by a husband to prevent marital discourse. I found an instructor in our club to help my wife with trigger slap. I think wally has wbb 380 for $32 per 100.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Watch out because that WWB at Wally World is a flat point profile bullet and can cause feeding issues with some guns. I know it did in a female friends Sig P238. Full RN ran fine but the truncated RN would cause out of battery stopages. Just some FYI
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceJester View Post
Nice... So if she's "not a shooter," how'd you get her out there? (my wife currently has a gun phobia that I'm trying to break)
Several years ago she carried a .38 2" revolver but one day just decided she didn't "need" to carry it. Recently, I showed her the video of the young mother that shot an intruder to defend her children and herself. I simply asked, "Why aren't you wiling to do that?" Then, it just clicked with her that she wasn't being reasonable. Since she started carrying the Mustang, she has told me several times that she's glad that she had it because she felt much more secure with it.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperbrown View Post
I don't know about your wife but teaching my wife to shoot is very similar to teaching her how to drive a stick shift. Certain instruction should be avoided by a husband to prevent marital discourse. I found an instructor in our club to help my wife with trigger slap. I think wally has wbb 380 for $32 per 100.
I agree. I'm an instructor and she has listened to most things quite well. During the range outing that is pictured, there was an instructor that I work with there also. He helped to convey some things that I was saying but she wasn't quite sure of because it was coming from me.

It was at Wally World that I noticed the .380 being more expensive than .45.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:26 PM

Be happy it's more expensive but you can actually buy it. Of all the calibers experiencing shortages during the big shortage 2 years or so ago, the .380 was the one hit the hardest. It was virtually unobtainable at any price. Word to the wise.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie View Post
Be happy it's more expensive but you can actually buy it. Of all the calibers experiencing shortages during the big shortage 2 years or so ago, the .380 was the one hit the hardest. It was virtually unobtainable at any price. Word to the wise.
That's why I reload and cast bullets for .380! I'll always have some ammo on hand for plinking, if nothing else.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:43 PM

it's hard to be a Mustang for what it is.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie View Post
I well remember what you are referencing. That was one of the deciding factors that led to me retiring the Mustang as my EDC BUG.

Now that my wife is carrying the Mustang, I'll have to suck it up and buy some ammo.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:28 AM

you need to reload for that ***** puppy
I lhave carried a mustang since 85 shooting
mostly reloads no problems except the ride the safety one.
Hornady makes a great JHP 90 grain bullet that I use
It's nice having a CCW gun that will deliver head shots at 15 yds
Try that with the DAO plastic fantastics
They are true belly guns across a poker table.
The Mustang is a true protection gun that hits where you
point it.
I have two just in case 1 gets lost. Always one in a Guru back
pocket holster
DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I had a phobia and was totally against my boyfriend wanting a gun. I educated my self on safe handling and did a lot of general reading online. Now I have 3 and an AR. I was never brought up around guns, so it was just me being uneducated about them.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM

I have had mine since the 80's it shoots nice
And as mentioned mine likes reloads. It shoots cream puff Lead round nose well too.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340six View Post
I have had mine since the 80's it shoots nice
And as mentioned mine likes reloads. It shoots cream puff Lead round nose well too.
I've had "mine" since the late 90's. I just replaced a few parts as preventive maintenance. I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Brent , BJT72, from Colt for helping me with a very hard to find part! I need to find time to test fire it for reliability so that my wife can have it back and I can have my New Agent back.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 PM

A buddy of mine has one, the slide is like glass its so smooth.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Funny thing is, now she's talking to some of her friends about going shooting together. Who would 'a thunk it?

All because the Mustang is so easy to shoot.