1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > STI/SVI

Old 04-06-2012, 02:30 PM

My New Trojan + Need help with sights.

Want to start out by saying thanks to those who helped out in my thread last week.

Got my Trojan .45acp today and everything was great except the front sight. I ordered the gun online and it has a Trijicon sight setup. Problem was that the illuminated center on the front sight was missing! Im not really that upset as the piece only cost $60, but I am now in need of new sights. If anyone has any experience with great sights, please feel free to lend some knowledge. Im going to be shooting Single Stack with this Trojan, so interested in sights geared towards competition.

The gun performed great for the first 40 rounds, but the rear sight became loose and ruined my time at the range. I had the Allen keys that came with the gun, but none perfectly fit. After shooting 10 more rounds struggling with the sight, I packed my trojan up and shot with my XDM.

Here are the pics

Faulty Trijicon Front Sights
Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Didn't realize that you ordered the Trojan with the fixed sight option. Probably would have advised that you get the STI Bomar-style adjustable rear since you were going to be shooting it in competition. But no biggie. Some of my comp guns have fixed sights, but I do prefer a narrow (.100" wide) front sight with a fiber optic insert since the narrow post helps with not obscuring the target when 25-ish yds out, and the fiber optic helps with tracking the front sight during recoil.

A couple of options:

1) Have you contacted STI to see about replacing the front sight if they were the ones that installed it? They have really good customer service and will most likely make it right since the gun is brand new.

2) The rear is easy to fix. Once you get it adjusted for windage, tighten down the set screw with some lock-tite. I prefer blue lock-tite.

3) If you want to change out the front sight to a fiber optic, Dawson Precision is a popular choice among USPSA shooters. They make a front sight that fits the STI dovetail, and DP has a great DIY video on their website. No need to ship the gun off to somebody when you can do it yourself if you follow Dave's instructions.
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Categ...t=SIGHTS+FRONT

To figure out which height to get, if your current sight set up is shooting POA=POI, measure the existing one and order that height.

As far as width, its a personal preference thing. I went from standard front post width which is .125" to .100" as my preference. Some people like a .090" wide.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:04 PM

I didnt have the patience for the order lol. Struggled to find one online, so when I did I jumped on it knowing that I would be spending extra money to set it up correctly.

Thanks for the advice, im going to look into the dawson stuff now.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:18 PM

I bought a new Trojan about a month ago , I replaced the front sight myself , with a Dawson Optic Sight .
The video on Dawson's Web Site , gave me the confidence to do the sight change over myself .
Good Luck !!! Stephen
Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 PM

Two options could be either a Novak sight combination, they offer several or the Wilson Combat battle sight. I prefer fiber optic sights for competition.

Teufel Hunden 1775 till the end.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:33 AM

Call up Dawson and get both front and rear. You'll be glad you did, you can also send the slide in and they'll do the install.
1911 Addicts
Old 04-07-2012, 09:30 AM

Fiber optic front sight

If you are handy, it would be easy to make your current front sight into a fiber optic if you have a drill press and the time. All that would be needed is to choose the "fiber light pipe" in your preferred diameter, drill the front sight through the existing trijicon vial hole, and then notch the top of the sight so the light pipe can gather light. If you're handy, it probably wouldn't take more than 30 minutes.....if not, buy a new sight!

I would suggest figuring out the load you will be using for competition, to make sure the sight is the right height for the load you plan to shoot. Since you do not have an adj. rear, you may need to lower or raise the front sight accordingly depending on the load you plan to shoot. If the gun shoots a bit low, you can file down the front sight.....if it shoots too high, the only option is to get a taller front sight. Once you determine the height of the front sight you need, you can then measure it, and get the proper height fiber optic front sight of your choice.