1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 04-06-2012, 10:10 AM

Colt Custom Shop (Series 80 LW Commander)

I have a 1950's LW Commander in .45 that I really like. I would like to get a series 80 version of this gun. I looked at Colt's current offerings and see that they have a lightweight 4.25" barrel gun, but it has the modern beavertail grip safety and the front slide serrations.

I would like to buy an old-school style LW commander in either blue or stainless with a traditional grip safety and the rounded commander style hammer. I prefer the series 80 firing pin block for my carry pistols. I guess I would just like a gun like my current LW Commander, except with a series 80 firing pin block. I don't want to modify my existing gun, so I'm wondering if I can have one made by Colt's custom shop.

Does anyone know if the Colt Custom shop will assemble such a gun for a customer? Do they only take existing Colt offerings and customize them/embellish them or could they put together a gun based on the customer's requirements?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 AM

I've never personally ordered anything from the Custom Shop, but from done of the threads I have read on here over the months, it does appear that they will make what you want, provided they already have the type of frame you desire. I say that last bit because I dont think they would make me a python if I wanted haha. But they have the LW model anyway, so I'm sure it could be built to order.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 AM

I know that they're still putting out 1991 Commanders.

I don't know if the do LW 1991's or not; but I've seen both blued and stainless 1991 Commanders new in the last month.

Rick
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvJr View Post
I would like to buy an old-school style LW commander in either blue or stainless with a traditional grip safety and the rounded commander style hammer.
What do you mean by "traditional grip safety" ? If you mean the GI style, I've been advised that you can't use a commander or rounded hammer with this type safety. If you mean the down-swept beaver tail, otherwise known as a duck bill, then the 04091U is set up the way you want....but, it's not a LW frame. I recently bought one.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:29 AM

The only Lightweight Commander in current production is the XSE model, with a stainless steel slide and Cerakoted frame. It has the forward cocking serrations and beavertail.

I don't think Colt would build one like you want, but I'm not certain. Your best bet might be to browse Gunbroker and Guns America for a used one. There are not that many Lightweight Commanders with Series 80. Here's one on GB: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=280852796
Old 04-07-2012, 09:34 AM

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies - Yeah, but "traditional" I that I would like to avoid a high, swept up beavertail. My LW Commander that was made in the 1950's has commander hammer, but an unobtrusive grip safety. I get a little hammer bite with this set up if I use a super high grip, but I prefer this configuration because it has a lower profile.

I'll give Colt a call and see if I can get something like an O4691 or O4091U but with an alloy frame. The O4091U looks great - I was just hoping I could get it in a lightweight config.

Thanks all for your replies.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:00 AM

I saw a Colt at the LGS yesterday that fits your description, Colt Combat Commander Model Colt Part Number: O4691
Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 AM

This isn't exactly what your looking for but thought I'd share my favorite and most often carried 1911. This 80 series LWC was manufactured in the earlier 80's from what I gathered. As you can see I added a few things.

Pic are from my iPhone and not the best.

This is my favorite 1911.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0023.jpg   IMG_0019.jpg  
Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel_H View Post
There are not that many Lightweight Commanders with Series 80. Here's one on GB: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=280852796
i have a MKIV lightweight exactly as in this auction. minus the nasty scratches and box. im not sure im ready to cut on it yet.

i have worked with Brent at the custom shop on 2 custom pistols. i have gotten their standard packages as well as some ala carte items on the same gun. paid extra for the ala carte items of course, although the prices are very reasonable

i recommend you contact him and discuss your plans. they really do want to build you the gun you want.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
I saw a Colt at the LGS yesterday that fits your description, Colt Combat Commander Model Colt Part Number: O4691
He is looking for a Lightweight Commander, which means an aluminum alloy frame. The O4691 has a steel frame.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:45 PM

82nd - That is an awesome looking gun.

I'll see what Colt says. If they can't accomodate my request, I'll probably have to cruise Gunbroker and AuctionArms and see if I can find a used one.

Joel_H - thanks for the link - that's exactly what I'm looking for.

By the way, here is my circa 1950's LW Commander in .45 ACP. Right now it has hardwood grips with the Rampant colt medallions, but in this picture it is sportin' the hard rubber Colt grips.

I love my LW commander, but I actually prefer the firing pin block of the series 80 guns. I do have a heavy duty firing pin spring in this gun (from Wolff or Ed Brown) and I'm thinking of putting in a titanium firing pin in it.

Last edited by IrvJr; 04-07-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:27 PM

nice LW ! thats seem some serious honest use.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:03 AM

Why don't you order a Special Combat Officers/CCO from Brent? Perhaps you could PM him.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
What do you mean by "traditional grip safety" ? If you mean the GI style, I've been advised that you can't use a commander or rounded hammer with this type safety. If you mean the down-swept beaver tail, otherwise known as a duck bill, then the 04091U is set up the way you want....but, it's not a LW frame. I recently bought one.
I think he means the non-duckbill grip safety like that comes on the 1991 Commander that is cut out for the ring hammer.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM

Irv,

I love your Commander, it has character! I have a 1951 Commander and really like it.

John
Old 04-09-2012, 11:18 AM

I tried to get Colt's to do pretty much the same. Actually I just wanted an 1991 Commander slide,grip safety and hammer fitted to an XSE frame and internals. I was told no,they would not do that. so...

from this