1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 PM

4 leaf sear spring

Anybody use the 4 leaf sear spring such as the clark custom spring at brownells? Was there any difference?
Dave

Last edited by davidthomas; 04-05-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:26 PM

no thanks I like c&s light sear springs
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 AM

I've tried them,found them to be of dubious value..[Like how I worked that big word in there?] Answer to a question nobody asked.I'd rather buy any high quality 3 leaf,or even just polish up and adjust what came in the gun..If you know what you're doing,you can get a trigger pull with a stock spring that's way under what you SHOULD have on your gun..LOL!!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 AM

I personally like the 4 leaf spring. You can independently adjust each spring and get the lightest possible trigger. I've seen many gunsmiths use them over the years. I have a lot of different 1911's with the 4 leaf spring in all my competition guns. Never had either the 3 or 4 finger fail. A light trigger pull means different things to different people.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM

I've used the 4 leaf sear springs a couple times. I like them for a game gun. For GP or PD guns, I prefer the three spring.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:32 PM

A year or so ago I was having trouble with a 1911.
Through disassembly and diagnosis. I pin pointed one the the problems as being the factory sear spring. Thumbing through my handy Brownells catalog I found the section pertaining to the sear springs.

I called up Brownells and talked to one of the techs about the four leaf spring.
It doesn't seem that they thought it much more than a gimmick part. I ended up getting the standard spring, but don't recall the maker. After tensioning the spring and installing it. My hammer drop stopped.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 04-06-2012, 07:43 PM

It's was a Clark evelopment. He used it for his BE guns with the steel triggers to prevent hammer follow when dropping the slide.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:29 PM

I think the whole point of it is that bending one spring at a time makes it a little easier to adjust it,since both legs are on the disconnector/trigger,but I think those skinny little legs may be more prone to breakage..I could see Clark using them in BE guns,since he was probably shooting for a 1 pound trigger..I kinda do something a bit on the same track,but I narrow the middle spring slightly from bottom to top with a Dremel cutoff wheel to make the spring more progressive,and still durable..

Last edited by LOU D; 04-07-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:26 PM

I doubt Clark used them in his BullsEye pistols. NRA BullsEye has a minumum trigger pull of 4-4.5# IIRC
Old 05-10-2012, 11:41 AM

I thought NRA Bullseye had a lower limit of 3.5# in the 45 leg. NRA hardball is a seperate event and I think a 4.5# minimum is the requirement.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 AM

See link for the NRA rule on trigger weight.
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules/r..._pistol_11.pdf

3.5# on 45's for NRA Bullseye. 4# on hardball guns for EIC competition.

I went through 2 of the Clark 4 leaf springs. They just wouldn't hold tension. My trigger weight would slowly reduce until not only were the triggers illegal for any match but dangerous. I would have to rebend them every 2-300 rds to get back to 4#. I went back to the 3 leaf spring and haven't had the issue since.

FWIW
Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 PM

I used a 4 leaf spring for a while in my full size 1911. Worked great for awhile, then I had a slam fire which was an ND, that I was very lucky I did NOT get hurt. Tried to duplicate the slam fire and could NOT. Then has luck had it the pistol started to hammer follow in the middle of a sanctioned IDPA match. DQ'd myself for an unsafe pistol. Got the pistol home and still could NOT duplicate the condition. Upon a through inspection of each and every part in the trigger group I found that the tip of the sear spring had worn off and wasn't pressing on the sear with enough pressure. Yes I could have retensioned the sear spring, but when something goes wrong I replace it. I went back to the standard 3 leaf spring (Wilson Combat Bullet proof) and have had no other incidents. I'm not saying the 4 leaf springs are no good, I also am not saying they are good. Just relaying my experience. You be the judge if you want to use them or NOT.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:38 PM

I have the 4 leaf springs in 5 different pistols. These guns are all suited for special purposes such as PPC, Bullseye, Bowling pin, and IPSC. Some have over 100K rounds no issues. Must be lucky I guess. No plans on changing the springs unless I get a failure. Broke a lot of other parts including extractors and one barrel though.