1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 04-02-2012, 09:21 PM

Kimber Pro Carry 2 vs. Ultra Carry 2

Hi, I am new here, but I'll jump right in. Not new to 1911's, but new to Kimber.

So I am about to "pull the trigger" (pun intended) on a new Kimber. I have it narrowed down to the Pro Carry 2 and the Ultra Carry 2. They both fit my budget and my needs. The gun is mainly for concealed carry but also for home defense. I have always owned 4.25" or longer 1911's and have no problem concealing the larger guns as I have very expensive holsters and belts. That said, the smaller Ultra is intriguing and I find it calling to me a bit. However, historically I lean toward larger sized pistols and 1911's in general.

Obviously, lots of bad reviews and such on the Kimber, but I am fully able of working on my own gun so I am not too worried about it.

Can anyone help me make a decision? FYI, the Pro Carry I found is $749 new (no night sights) and the Ultra Carry I found is $849 with trijicons, also brand new.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:34 PM

It really boils down to what you want or need. Unless you just want or need a short barreled 1911, I'd go for the 4" with a full size frame, the Pro. Otherwise, the Ultra is an officers sized frame and a 3" barrel. It's up to you.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-02-2012, 09:42 PM

I've had both. I bought the U.C. 2 as my main carry and the P.C. 2 for a back up if the U.C. was down for any reason.

The Ultra Carry was a joy to carry. However, after carrying it for a while I decided to sell it and just use the Pro Carry for my EDC.

As light and easy to carry as the Ultra was, I just feel better with the Commander size.

I should mention that I'm an older guy and am used to government and commander size 1911's. YMMV.

Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I've had both. I bought the U.C. 2 as my main carry and the P.C. 2 for a back up if the U.C. was down for any reason.

The Ultra Carry was a joy to carry. However, after carrying it for a while I decided to sell it and just use the Pro Carry for my EDC.

As light and easy to carry as the Ultra was, I just feel better with the Commander size.

I should mention that I'm an older guy and am used to government and commander size 1911's. YMMV.
Thanks to both responders so far. I am glad to hear this as I was sort of leaning toward the Pro Carry. A little printing of the grip when I bend over and such doesn't bother me that much.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:28 PM

I have a couple pros, and one ultra, rcp.
But, I also have a compact, pro barrel on ultra frame.
Maybe you should look at this, i really like it.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Hi, I am new here, but I'll jump right in. Not new to 1911's, but new to Kimber.

So I am about to "pull the trigger" (pun intended) on a new Kimber. I have it narrowed down to the Pro Carry 2 and the Ultra Carry 2. They both fit my budget and my needs. The gun is mainly for concealed carry but also for home defense. I have always owned 4.25" or longer 1911's and have no problem concealing the larger guns as I have very expensive holsters and belts. That said, the smaller Ultra is intriguing and I find it calling to me a bit. However, historically I lean toward larger sized pistols and 1911's in general.

Obviously, lots of bad reviews and such on the Kimber, but I am fully able of working on my own gun so I am not too worried about it.

Can anyone help me make a decision? FYI, the Pro Carry I found is $749 new (no night sights) and the Ultra Carry I found is $849 with trijicons, also brand new.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
I couldn't be happier with my Ultra. It's my main concealed carry gun. I find its light weight is a big advantage that is often overlooked. It isn't just the short barrel that makes carrying easier (avoiding printing etc.) but the weight is a big help for a gun you must carry all day, day after day.

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehparis View Post
I couldn't be happier with my Ultra. It's my main concealed carry gun. I find its light weight is a big advantage that is often overlooked. It isn't just the short barrel that makes carrying easier (avoiding printing etc.) but the weight is a big help for a gun you must carry all day, day after day.
Let me ask this, if you only had one pistol for carry, home defense, etc, would you still choose the Ultra over the Pro?
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Let me ask this, if you only had one pistol for carry, home defense, etc, would you still choose the Ultra over the Pro?
I haven't had the actual experience of carrying a 4 inch so just can't honestly give an opinion. I _think_ I would still have chosen the 3 inch but can't say as I haven't been without at least one 5 inch for about 45 years. I did heft both 4 inch and 3 inch before I made my purchase decision. I recommended the 3 inch strictly based on my actual experience of carrying a 3 inch for some time now. Since you said you do have a 5 Inch why are you asking about having only one gun?

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637

Last edited by ehparis; 04-04-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2012, 12:08 PM

I am planning to pick up an Ultra TLE II. I currently have a Pro Carry II and a Pro CDP II and love them both. I am thinking for summertime carry it would be a nice change. I do not plan to replace either Pro permanently. I did rent an Ultra Springfield and liked it and shot well with it.

NRA Member
Colt Lightweight Commander, Kimber Custom II, Kimber Custom TLE II RL,Kimber Ultra TLE II, Kimber Raptor Pro II SS.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck
Obviously, lots of bad reviews and such on the Kimber,
Oh really?

I have not "heard" of any problems, but then again I own some.
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married; TWICE!
Old 04-03-2012, 12:32 PM

My EDC is a Pro Carry 2 which has factory night sights and I've added Crimson Trace grips.

In something like 45 years of concealed carry--- and too many guns to even think about... the Pro is about the closest thing to a perfect all round defensive gun I M O.

The al. frame makes it lighter than my Colt Officers model, it's easy to conceal, and the 4" barrel is much more pleasant (and easy) to shoot well than the 3" models I've had.

I no longer mess with a 5" for a night stand gun. After all these years of experimenting -----the Pro is my do it all gun.

BTW-- took a nice white tail doe with it this year.
M istake
A merica
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM

I have to echo the Shootist here..I am 62 years young, and I am an ex Leo. I have carried everything from hand cannon revolvers, to full size 1911s, and everything polymer or aluminum in between. Having said that, I prefer a 4 inch 1911 for CCW. The three inch is OK, but the longer barrel and sight radius is my preference. My newest acquisition, the Pro Crimson Carry II is a sweet carry gun, and is now my favorite. So good luck on your choice, but my vote would be for the 4 inch.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiboobooranger View Post
I have to echo the Shootist here..I am 62 years young, and I am an ex Leo. I have carried everything from hand cannon revolvers, to full size 1911s, and everything polymer or aluminum in between. Having said that, I prefer a 4 inch 1911 for CCW. The three inch is OK, but the longer barrel and sight radius is my preference. My newest acquisition, the Pro Crimson Carry II is a sweet carry gun, and is now my favorite. So good luck on your choice, but my vote would be for the 4 inch.
+1 I'm a retired LEO and 56 years old with 40 years of shooting experience. No expert mind you but I have shot every type on hand gun except black powder. The pro is the perfect balance between them all, imho.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-inCO View Post
Oh really?

I have not "heard" of any problems, but then again I own some.
I totally get that part. Tons of people say bad things about Para, but my GI LTC has been flawless for me.

Thanks for the other comments. I think I am going to go with the 4" Pro Carry. It is what I prefer and am used to carrying.

Last edited by smolck; 04-03-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:03 PM

My first 5 shots with Kimber Ultra TLE ,shot quickly at 25'
Shot 1 to check sight and let four go to simulate stopping a bad guy. I would recommend Night sights as it helps me find it in the dark so if you go pro there is an option with night sights it would be worth the extra coin.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM

Bought my Pro Carry this morning. I paid more than I wanted to with my trade, but I am happy so I will live with the extra cost.

My reasons for the choice were as follows (if anyone cares):

1. Prefer the longer barrel
2. Better grip on the longer frame for my hands
3. Price was $100 less
4. All of the above!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0654[1].jpg   IMG_0656[1].jpg  

Last edited by smolck; 04-04-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Congrat's, you are all set....well, maybe you need ammo