1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Any suggestions on magazines, can you get ACT MAGS any suggestions?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:53 PM

just curious....what exactly does "I'll put my brand x UP AGAINST your brand y anyday" mean?? are they going to duke it out? LOL Is it a shoot out? Or is it a beauty contest...or what. too funny

AND to say "I'll put my entry level 1911 against your entry level 1911" is so funny to me.

Just shoot the heck out of it...if it needs work, it will let you know where. If you want cosmetic upgrades, go for it...everyone like a new set of grips. If you want one of the best upgrades for any gun new or used, spend some cash on a quality trigger job. A great trigger job is something that makes a ton of difference over something out of the box. enjoy it.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-08-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyg View Post
I personally don't like the ACT mags. I use Chip McCormick Shooting Stars. Check Midway they sell lots of mags.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortb...mensionid=9553
Old 04-08-2012, 11:30 PM

What I plan to do with my GI is first do a function fire to see if it even runs. Get serious and shoot for accuracy and see if it's a shooter. Then shoot multiple types/ weight bullets and see if it still runs. If it's accurate and 99.99% reliable then I'd swap the grips, sights for some 10-8s and bead FS, install a beavertail, STI poly trigger and maybe a fire control group from Cylinder & Slide. Later I'd send it off and have it deburred throughout, a new extractor instsalled and if the moneys there 25 lpi checkering.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Find some USGI surplus mags. I have several along with some other vintage 7 rounders of various old makes and all work well. Eliminates the mag issues. Save the fancy mags for when your gun runs correctly for sure.

Gun snobs purposely blind themselves.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias5.56 View Post
maybe a fire control group from Cylinder & Slide. .

great ignition parts (top of the line) but save some coin and buy from Berryhill

http://www.berryhillguns.com/shop/in...24hspqmjiv3n21

it's the same ignition set as as C&S's.
I don't mean "just like it" or "as good" , I mean the "same"

another top of the line ignition set is EGW's
matter of fact, all their parts are top of the line

http://www.egwguns.com/ignition-parts/egw-ignition-kit/

I've used both ..they're both great

..L.T.A.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
If you want ftory mags (ACT) you can go to the Armscor website and purchase them (16.xx) I recently purchased 2 more for my Rock. If not they are a host of other brands that most here use.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM

i bought one of the commander length gi models a few years ago and shot about 200 rounds through it before i changed anything. i then swapped in a long trigger because it feels better to me and a cheap set of white dot sites. that made it a lot more fun for me to shoot.

i put about a thousand rounds through it that way before deciding to put an ed brown bobtail msh, beavertail grip safety, and hammer on it. again, that made it more fun to shoot. I got a long sear and true radius jig from berryhill and am about to do the trigger job while the duracoat is curing.

my recoil spring seemed to wear out fast so i just picked up a 20# replacement but won't get to try it out for a few more weeks. this has been a great project gun to play with.

about the only thing i dislike right now are the gi sight cuts. i'll eventually get it cut for novaks. i use this pistol as my ccw way more than my fullsize and always feel confident that it'll operate correctly if i need it to. i'm still amazed at how much of a bargain these RIA's are.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 AM

get rid of the lousy magazines most come with and buy some good ones. often mentioned are kimber mags. also, the mag cathc may be poorly fitted and allow magazines to giggle up and down too much. EGW makes some nice ones.