1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Well done, Ed Brown

A co-worker of mine picked up his Centennial Executive Elite. The fit and finish is unbelievable. I don't know who is tinkering on these, but they are a master of their trade. It makes my Baer TRS feel... less than it felt before holding the EE

Also, shooting it is a pleasure.

Well done!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:45 PM

I own both brands and to be honest was surprised how close the fit and finish of my Baer was to my Brown. To me the difference is very minimal.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:24 PM

Yep. They have more of a smooth nature about them than Baers. But, Baers are know to really shoot tight groups.

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM

I love the Blueing from Brown - have the same gun and loved it so much my next will be two-tone with Blue over SS.

Now - I have never seen the Turnbull Blueing, anyone know how Brown compares or is that in a totally different league?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdeity View Post
A co-worker of mine picked up his Centennial Executive Elite. The fit and finish is unbelievable. I don't know who is tinkering on these, but they are a master of their trade. It makes my Baer TRS feel... less than it felt before holding the EE

Also, shooting it is a pleasure.

Well done!

Agreed.........
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar1tex View Post
I love the Blueing from Brown - have the same gun and loved it so much my next will be two-tone with Blue over SS.

Now - I have never seen the Turnbull Blueing, anyone know how Brown compares or is that in a totally different league?
I haven't seen the Brown bluing in person, but I've seen Turnbull bluing. My Wilson Combat Presidential Classic has charcoal bluing and nitre bluing by him. It's beautiful.
1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Executive Carry, Special Forces Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Ordered: Wilson Combat: Tactical Supergrade Alchemy Custom: Custom build
Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 PM

I have a EE Centennial and agree the finish is VERY nice. I'll have to say that I have thought of going a different direction and getting a Brown blued by Ford's. Their master blue finish is the closest thing I've seen to Colt's highly polished blue finishes. Here's an example: http://www.fordsguns.com/index-gun29.htm
Old 03-28-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
I have a EE Centennial and agree the finish is VERY nice. I'll have to say that I have thought of going a different direction and getting a Brown blued by Ford's. Their master blue finish is the closest thing I've seen to Colt's highly polished blue finishes. Here's an example: http://www.fordsguns.com/index-gun29.htm
Wow. That is beautiful.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Heres a Turnbull Charcoal Blued slide, my first blued slide. I really like the look of blue more these days and it's quickly becoming my favorite!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:10 AM

Beautiful gun.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:

A lot of the difference in appearance between blued guns reflects the surface prep. A very fine mirrored finish will look far more elegant than a matte finish.

The mirrored finish is going to show every smudge and costs significantly more though.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Will --

Nice looking Supergrade, but most of them are.

Quote:
The mirrored finish is going to show every smudge and costs significantly more though.
You're right about the smudge factor. I wouldn't want such a finish on a true carry gun bit I would (and do) shoot guns with mirror finishes. I have a Colt with a mirrored blue slide that I'll carry every once in a blue moon.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the words folks...Though mine is probably what you'd consider as being a matte finish and not the mirror, mine will pick up finger prints pretty quick. I attribute this to being blued. This being my first blued 1911, I had almost forgotten how quickly a blued finish picks up marks. In spite of that, I still really like it a lot and certainly glad I purchased this finish. If you do decide on a mirror finish, be prepared to wipe those finger marks off often, if not so much for the looks as how quickly they can damage the bluing with corrosion, or so I've been told anyway. I've not experienced it, but wipe it down after having it in the hands for ahwile.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Will - does your Turnbull Blue look better (or perhaps flatout is better) than the Brown Blueing? Certainly hard to tell in the pics, and I understand the pros & cons of Blueing - just wanted to see if anyone has one of both (or has seen one of both) and came compare?

Oddly LivetoRide has seen the Turnbull and not the Brown, I have the Brown but not seen the Turnbull. The pics and everything I've read about Turnbull seem to be the bomb.

I love the EE-CENT blueing alot - although that gun sits in the safe mostly, but the two-tone that Hammond will eventually call me on, will be carried - fingerprints, smudges, wear marks, the whole nine yards.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 PM

Awesome that you will carry it.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Will - does your Turnbull Blue look better (or perhaps flatout is better) than the Brown Blueing? Certainly hard to tell in the pics, and I understand the pros & cons of Blueing - just wanted to see if anyone has one of both (or has seen one of both) and came compare?

Oddly LivetoRide has seen the Turnbull and not the Brown, I have the Brown but not seen the Turnbull. The pics and everything I've read about Turnbull seem to be the bomb.

I love the EE-CENT blueing alot - although that gun sits in the safe mostly, but the two-tone that Hammond will eventually call me on, will be carried - fingerprints, smudges, wear marks, the whole nine yards.
jbar, the only Brown I have is a KC with the genIII on the slide. Just from looking at some of the photos on this site I'm thinking that Browns bluing is equal if anything. I read many a comment that Browns bluing is fantastic. Mine being the charcoal blue, I'd believe that it may have a much different appearance in person with the regular blue probably looking much more opaque...I'm only guessing here!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:

In these pictures, you can see the contrast difference between Turnbull's charcoal bluing and nitre bluing.

1911s: Wilson Combat: Presidential Classic, CQB 9mm, CQB Compact Nighthawk: Bob Marvel .45 and .22 Ed Brown: Classic Custom, Executive Carry, Special Forces Les Baer: UTC 1.5", TRS Springfield: Pro, Pro LR, Champ Oper Colt: ANVII 100th Anniv Ed Alchemy Custom Springfield Loaded 9mm, Springfield Mil-Spec
Old 03-31-2012, 12:37 AM

That's a really nice gun!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 AM

Yes.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:41 AM

The guns posted here are a total win in my book.

wilson combat tactical L.E., Browning hi power, Gemini customs GP100, Springfield XDS, mossberg 500
Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 AM

That WC has me panting like a Blue Tick Hound laying on the porch during a August afternoon!

www.hammondgunandtackle.com
Old 03-31-2012, 02:46 PM

Live2Ride, that is a superb pistol! Folks, they don't get any better than that..
Old 03-31-2012, 05:03 PM

lol Thanks guys! That's my prized pistol. Still can't believe it's mine. Whenever I open up the safe, I pull out the presentation case and take a look at it. Of course I have to fondle it from time-to-time also. That gun will never go anywhere. One day, it will be passed down to my daughter.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 PM

Live2Ride,

I am guessing you have not shot it?
1968, 69, 70
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF4M1s View Post
Live2Ride,

I am guessing you have not shot it?
No, I haven't. No plans to shoot it. That Wilson Combat Presidential Classic is my piece of fine art. I have plenty of other 1911's to shoot. If I feel the absolute need to shoot a Wilson Combat pistol, I'll order one that would be a shooter. I have to say, though, that the slide is smooth as glass and the trigger breaks nicely when dry firing.