1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 AM

Rock Island VS ATI

So I find myself in the market for a 1911, my budget has me looking at the Rock Island Armory and ATI (American Tactical Imports) both manufactured in the Philippines any opinions on either line?? I also considered the Ruger SR 1911 I happen to live near a shop that has them in stock but they are about $200.00 more dollars. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM

I can tell you that my RIA's have been absolutely 100% reliable. I've probably put 1000 rounds thru my tactical.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second on the ATI either. In fact, that's what I started looking at, but found a couple really good deals on the rocks.

I'd say go for whichever has the options you like, I know they both have a couple different configurations
Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM

Dave,

I'm gonna be watching this thread. I too am in the market for a new FS 1911 (the only other 1911 I have in is a compact Colt Defender). I keep reading very good reviews on the RIA pistols. Somewhat ironically, I seem to find more negative reviews on some of the much more expensive guns (Kimbers, Colts, etc.). Honestly, it confuses me.

Randy
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM

I just oredered a ria compact last night. The winner for me was the warranty of the RIA and their CS.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM

I haven't shot or owned a ATI but I have a Rock and I love it. Acccurate straight out the box. I got a 9mm by the way and it was very hard to find.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:30 AM

Ria/ati

I have several RIA's, they are fine guns, that said I would pay the extra $200 for a Ruger in a heartbeat.
tb
Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 AM

I have a full size RIA and a compact ATI, . . . both are good hand guns. I carry either one as my CCW and have total confidence in either.

RIA is basic GI configuration, . . . the ATI has a beavertail.

Neither came to me as a tack driver, and the triggers were both a bit heavy.

I have "accurized" both, . . . and done some trigger work as well, . . . have right at $1000 in both, total.

I really do not know of any one 1911 I would trade for both of them, . . . but I might be tempted if the slide said "Wilson".

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 AM

I own guns from both companies, mainly GI models. I give the nod to ATI in better build quality. Both are great companies and I think you'll like either.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 AM

Wow thanks for all the input, still not sure what to do. I hear on other forums how scarce the Ruger is but I happen to have 2 or 3 shops relatively close to me where they have them in stock all the time and the price varies from 669.00 to 799.00 , the ATI was 469.00 to 505.00. AHHHH decisions decisions.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM

I have an ATI and it has a nice fit and finish but only a 2 year warranty which didn't matter since I got it used from a local guy. He said he'd put around 600 rounds through it without a hitch and the first 7 rounds I put through it at 7 yards printed a nice group. I really like this Commander size gun.
RIA has a lifetime warranty so if you're buying new that's a pretty good deal. I think either way you'd be getting a good entry level gun that'll not break the bank.
If you can afford to spend a bit more you might check out Springfield Armory, they make some pretty decent guns. Parts are made in Brazil but assembled here in the U.S. I'd really like to pick up an S.A. Range Officer some day and put a good fixed rear sight on it since I really don't care for an adjustable sight on a carry gun. Even S.A.'s Mil-Spec is a pretty good gun that has improved sights and a lowered and fluted ejection port. You can normally get into one for around $600-$650 if you shop around and even less if you can find a used one.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM

I have two RIA's and they've been flawless. Both are 9mm, and are very accurate. For whatever reason, the RIA Gi fits my hand very well, better than any other.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:49 AM

Gun shop near me has SA 1911-A1 new 589.00, Remington R1 for 599.00 I believe this is also
a mil spec pistol.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM

I almost hate to admit this ... but I shot my first ATI last night and was fairly impressed. For the money they seem like a steal and you can own two of them for what one would normally cost.

Buddy of mine and his Pastor bought a bunch of ATI 9s, 40s and 45s and we shot two of the 9s and 45s last night after dinner out on the back forty. I'm very tempted now, to call CDNN and order myself a couple of each as truck guns, barn guns, etc., along with a couple of extra magazines. I actually already own a RIA that I picked-up cheap in a FTF transaction through the local trader a few years ago ... it's fine for what it is but I'll be darned if I am not asking myself if the ATI is a better bang for the buck now that I have shot them.

The ported model was pretty cool too.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:24 PM

Look at the Citadel also, same manufacturer as the Rock.

Bushmaster ORC in 5.56, DPMS Panther Bull 20 in .223, Citadel 1911FS in 45ACP, Rock Island Armory 1911FS in 9mm, M&P FS in 9mm, S&W 22A in 22LR
Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 PM

I have an RIA Match 5", GI 5", MS 4" and CS 3.5" - never a hiccup out of any of them and I love them.

I imagine I would probably think the same of ATI, however some key people from RIA are not only accessible, they participate here on our site. I like that.

I did buy a brand new ATI Titan (3.18") but traded it for the RIA MS 4" and happy. The Titan is well noted on this site to have a weak recoil system. It was evident after maybe 75 rnds.

Brad
Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM

I cant speak on ATI i can however speak from experience on the ROCK being a GREAT weapon.... I have a RIA Tactical 5" and from Day 1 it has been a shooter since coming out of the box
Old 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM

You won' go wrong....

...with RIA. I have two (tactical and compact) and both have been perfectly reliable - more than I can say about several of my other much more costly 1911's. If I blindfolded you and had you rack the slides and dry fire them alongside the more expensive ones (excluding the bullseye wadguns) I doubt that you could tell much difference. You'll want more "polish" and bells & whistles later on so buy the RIA now and then save for your "dream" 1911. You'll have a MUCH better idea of what you really want. /MK
Old 03-29-2012, 07:23 PM

I own both. The ATI is more pretty...but for reliability I would stick with Rock Island Armory.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Does the ATI Commander have a bull barrel or barrel bushing?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 PM

Mine came with a bushing and a 7 lb trigger,.......lol

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 AM

my opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyg View Post
So I find myself in the market for a 1911, my budget has me looking at the Rock Island Armory and ATI (American Tactical Imports) both manufactured in the Philippines any opinions on either line?? I also considered the Ruger SR 1911 I happen to live near a shop that has them in stock but they are about $200.00 more dollars. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
The $200 more is soooooo worth it.
Ruger.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
Ruger.
Haha see it's those comments like that that cause me to 2nd guess my decision to go the other way, appreciate your input can I ask you to expound just a little cause al though I never owned a 1911 I feel the same way but then think the $200 I save could be used towards holster and ammo??? Ahhhhh see what I mean??? Thanks again.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WESHOOT2 View Post
Ruger.
If could actually find a place that didn't have a twelve customer waiting list I'd be inclined to agree with you. I feel to some extent that Ruger dropped the proverbial ball...either they didn't anticipate the demand and thus failed to meet production. The more dastardly theory is they intentionally have kept production low to keep demand up. Incompetent or malevolent, either way it sticks in my craw, though I am prone to feeling slighted

If you can find a Ruger and afford it? Well it ain't a bad way to go. Otherwise I don't think you can do too wrong with an RIA Tactical model. No real experience with ATI, though since they are Shooters Arms Manufacturing 1911s and my experience with those have been fairly positive I don't believe you can go wrong that way. The SAM Elite my buddy bought and then traded had in my opinion an amazingly well fitted BVTGS for a gun he bought for 420 plus tax. I lament him not approaching me to see if I wanted it.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM

I suggest a 1911 with its dimensions more likely to be correct; one with substantial experience in its making; one with the reputation of a highly successful American company behind it.

But mostly it's that "holes in the right places" thing.....
Old 04-01-2012, 01:44 PM

Went with the RIA 4" 1911-A1, paid $449.00 plus tax it really boiled down to price for me it was a better deal I understand the ATI has a better finish but RIA has a lifetime warranty thanks to all for your opinions.