1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 AM

Sights on my Combat Commander

I have a SS 70 series Colt Combat Commander with the fixed sights . I find it harder and harder to see the sights . My bifocals have become a drag ! What options do I have if any ? Some night sights or 3 dot would be perfect ?
Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 AM

I've got a Commander and bifocals. I installed a rear sight that is a little taller than the original. I don't recall the manufacturer but there are several who make such a sight. I then carefully masked the front of the slide and filed the sides of the front sight Until I reached a width of .110 so that I had plenty of daylight on each side of the front sight when looking thru the rear which has a .125 opening. Then I went to the range with a file and adjusted the rear sight to P.O.I./P.O.A. I have another pistol that had 3 dot sights. Found them confusing to my eyes so I painted the dots. A friend has a pistol with night sights. I think they are useless in total darkness since you don't know where the target is and lining them up properly is distracting if you are moving. An illuminated front sight works for me in low light but at 5 - 10 yards I do as well with iron sights. Maybe if I had more opportunities to shoot in low light I might do better with the 'night sights'. I recommend you try the least expensive 'fix' first.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Night sights or 3 dots may not help you that much. Your front sight will be blurred regardless. You want the front sight to stand out. The cheapest and quickest fix at this time is bright paint on the front sight. Any paint store should have the bright orange construction paint. A dab of that paint all over the rear surface of the front sight should help you during the day time shooting.

The next option will require a pistolsmith. Get a competent pistol smith to replace the existing front sight with a gold or brass bead front sight. A brass/gold bead collect available ambient light and reflect them back to you. Again, it will be helpful when there is ambient light.

Similar to the brass/bold bead above is the fiber optics front sight. It collects ambient light and gives you a bright front sight. Require a competent pistolsmith for installation.

Opening up the rear sight notch or a new rear sight with wider notch is also a good modification in addition to one of the above front sights. Requires a competent pistolsmith.

Now what do you do when it gets dark? or do you care to shoot your gun when it's dark?

In addition to the above sights for daytime, a Crimson Trace laser grip will take care of night time sighting.

My solution:

Rear sight: Harrison retro
Front sight: Front post with gold bead
Grips: Crimson Trace
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM

Thanks Rick & Sev ! Checkin on those grips !
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 AM

I can vouch for the serious conflict between old eyes and some gun sights. My preferences are: 1. red dot (I use it for plinking with my Ruger 22/45) but they aren't so good if we are talking about a carry weapon; 2. FO front sight, they are really good if you have enough light to make them stand out but a little delicate for carry and not much use in very low light conditions; and 3. black rear and NS with white outline front. I use all three and for all around use, including carry, I prefer the black rear/NS option. I've never warmed up to lasers, but that's just me. Finally, you might want to run a search on your question; there have been other threads on this site and others dealing with options involving your shooting glasses rather than dealing with the gun sights.