1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 03-24-2012, 09:27 PM

the great gun show disappointment

Today I went to the local gun show looking for a few things from a 1911 vendor I know. I've been eagerly awaiting the next model to be released of the R100 Regent, the R200S. My Father-in-law saw one in a magazine and asked me to get one for him if I came across it. Well...I found one of my many "friends" at the gun show with one. I'm sure you have seen the pictures from the websites or magazines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3a5fwlVzvE

I was greatly disappointed. In person, it was quite possibly the worst finished gun I've ever seen. None of the stainless parts are finished the same. The slide stop serration's were not even close to being straight (think waves of the ocean), the ambi thumb safety was like the right side was machined from aluminum and the left from tin (or zinc) (that drastic of metal difference). This seller had 6 of them, all looking the same. He commented on how crappy they looked but said 1911's are big sellers and he wasn't going to send them back. Uggh...bang head. I was really hoping for something better from them. I guess it's another to scratch off the list as an add for myself and the Father-in-law.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:03 PM

How much were they asking for these fine pieces of craftmanship?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM

$649
Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
Today I went to the local gun show looking for a few things from a 1911 vendor I know. I've been eagerly awaiting the next model to be released of the R100 Regent, the R200S. My Father-in-law saw one in a magazine and asked me to get one for him if I came across it. Well...I found one of my many "friends" at the gun show with one. I'm sure you have seen the pictures from the websites or magazines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3a5fwlVzvE

I was greatly disappointed. In person, it was quite possibly the worst finished gun I've ever seen. None of the stainless parts are finished the same. The slide stop serration's were not even close to being straight (think waves of the ocean), the ambi thumb safety was like the right side was machined from aluminum and the left from tin (or zinc) (that drastic of metal difference). This seller had 6 of them, all looking the same. He commented on how crappy they looked but said 1911's are big sellers and he wasn't going to send them back. Uggh...bang head. I was really hoping for something better from them. I guess it's another to scratch off the list as an add for myself and the Father-in-law.
Well, look at it this way...anything made by Armscor with "Rock Island Armory" on it is a quality gun.

Maybe ATI's are as well, dunno - never tried one.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 PM

That sucks. My Regent 100 is a great pistol.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolworth405 View Post
That sucks. My Regent 100 is a great pistol.
I hear that which is why this was such a disappointment.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Yeah, my IAC/TISAS (not the Regent version, but the Series 70 version) is fantastic; I couldn't be happier. Heck, I bought the thing from Centerfire Systems and it was only $379.53 to my LGS. Like I said, couldn't be happier. I hope this was a snafu, and not a change in quality control; I was kind of hoping that this line of 1911s would gain in popularity a bit. We will see.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiv View Post
Yeah, my IAC/TISAS (not the Regent version, but the Series 70 version) is fantastic; I couldn't be happier. Heck, I bought the thing from Centerfire Systems and it was only $379.53 to my LGS. Like I said, couldn't be happier. I hope this was a snafu, and not a change in quality control; I was kind of hoping that this line of 1911s would gain in popularity a bit. We will see.
I'm hoping it was a screw up too. I was wanting a R100 for a replace a Noricno as a builder gun.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM

My local Academy Sports has the Umarex Regent R100s. If there is one by you, see if they have a R100 in stock. The ones here go for $449.99 plus tax. (The R100 are more than the Series 70 IACs that Centerfire Systems and CDNN are selling.) The R100 being made now are Series 80s. Check it out now in case quality control is changing for the worse. Good Luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:50 PM

I recently saw an R200S at a LGS. Wasn't too impressed with it, either. Looks and feels pretty cheeseball in person.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 PM

I just got a couple of these in the shop today...just started a thread with photos on them... I was also a bit disappointed in the gun...especially after having several of the IAC guns from CDNN. Maybe they will get finished out better in the future...so for now I am modding one. http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=360533
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 AM

I got mine from CDNN. Its a Regent R100.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolworth405 View Post
I got mine from CDNN. Its a Regent R100.
Hi Woolworth405.
Is your Regent R100 a Series 80 or a Series 70? Just curious. Also, did you just get it or did you get it a while back?
Thanks.
cjbiv.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Old 04-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Hi Woolworth405.
Is your Regent R100 a Series 80 or a Series 70? Just curious.
The Regent is a 80 series gun.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 PM

I have read that the very early ones had Series 70 slides mated to series 80 frames, with the metal filler in place of the two piece lever in the frame (I have not personally seen this, I have only read of it.) This is why I asked. I am aware that the Regents being sold now are 80s (at least the ones I have seen are 80s).

"Si vis pacem, para bellum"
Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 PM

I am very impressed with my R100 for what it is. I’ll get to the “for what it is” later, but first let me tell you about the “very impressed”.

This gun is manufactured in Turkey. The R100’s finish, though not at Colt level, is way above what I would expect for a low-budget 1911. The slide-to-frame fit was tight. Although, I did see a brand-new one at a gun show early this year with a noticeably looser fit.

I put 100 rounds of Winchester white box through it, out of the box, with no problems other than two failure-to-feed hiccups, both in the 80 round range. They occurred with the stock ACT-MAG magazine, which otherwise appears to be fairly well made. I had no problems with other stock-type magazines that I tried (Colt, Springfield and Checkmate). When the Winchester was gone, I shot a clip of Federal Hydra-Shoks with no problems.

The trigger pull felt a little spongy, but it was predictable enough for accurate shooting. The accuracy was very impressive. I was able to hit a 2-inch bull’s eye at 7 yards, pretty much at will.

Now about the “for what it is”…this gun is advertised as being a good foundation for modifications. I bought a Wilson polished sear and a polished disconnector, hoping to improve the trigger pull. Once installed, the gun would not fire. I installed just the disconnector – no change. Upon installing just the sear, the gun would fire without the grip-safety depressed. I don’t know, but a gunsmith may be able to overcome these issues.

When I compared the original sear and disconnector to the Wilson units, they appeared to have slightly different dimensions. I have installed identical Wilson pieces in my Colt and Springfield 1911s, and they dropped right in with no problems and a noticeable improvement in trigger pull.

Although the tripper pull is serviceable right out of the box, I ended up lightly polishing the contact surfaces on the stock R100 pieces, with some 600-grit sandpaper. This made the trigger pull smoother and a little crisper.

Overall, I am very happy with the pistol and would buy another. I’ll try the Wilson pieces on my next low-budget 1911…maybe a Rock Island Armory!

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-14-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I have read that the very early ones had Series 70 slides mated to series 80 frames, with the metal filler in place of the two piece lever in the frame (I have not personally seen this, I have only read of it.) This is why I asked. I am aware that the Regents being sold now are 80s (at least the ones I have seen are 80s).
I can confirm this as I own one with the filler plate. It was a bit of a surprise when I initially disassembled it for cleaning and when I removed the sear/disconnector pin it fell out. I can post a pic if anyone is interested.