1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in Financing a new Wilson Combat?
Yes, the time has come for the gun industry to offer this 16 32.65%
No, I'm happy not eating lunch to fund my sport 33 67.35%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 AM

Wilson Easy Payment Plan

Seeing as the price of Wilsons have gone up and the wait time is about a year or more, I think the time has come for Wilson to offer Financing. Cars, Motorcycles, Appliance companies all offer it. Why not a gun company.
You put your order in for your dream gun, make a payment once a month, and by the time it's ready to ship to your FFL, the gun is paid in full.
This would give people that normally couldn't afford a Wilson a chance to buy a top end gun.
Wilson would probably double their yearly profit and the best part is most of the work involved here would fall on a finance company that Wilson would use.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:51 AM

Waaaay better to do your own saving by putting some money away for a down payment and then saving some each month while you wait.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM

think of it as financing a rolex.. just doesnt make sense. save, then buy.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 AM

George @ migunslingers.com already does this.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTAC View Post
Seeing as the price of Wilsons have gone up and the wait time is about a year or more, I think the time has come for Wilson to offer Financing. Cars, Motorcycles, Appliance companies all offer it. Why not a gun company.
You put your order in for your dream gun, make a payment once a month, and by the time it's ready to ship to your FFL, the gun is paid in full.
This would give people that normally couldn't afford a Wilson a chance to buy a top end gun.
Wilson would probably double their yearly profit and the best part is most of the work involved here would fall on a finance company that Wilson would use.
Have you really thought this out???? Doing it your way will actually cost people MORE money.

Why not SAVE your money and buy the gun when you can actually afford it?

And this will double WC profits exactly how??????
Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM

I know we're here to have fun, but a poll with this much bias in the statements isn't going to yield interpretable results.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM

**edit. Deleated my double post.

Last edited by Atlas; 03-18-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 AM

I voted no. I want Wilson to stay focused on producing top quality firearms, not hiring sales/financing people or worrying about more accountants. LOL
Technically Wilson has a payment plan. If you order it through them you have 8-14 months to save depending on what you order. ;-)
I have a CQB on order and no, I do not have that cash laying around. As mentioned, I also went through George and am very pleased. Next gun will be saved for slowly then most likely through George or maybe Wilson. Depends on cash on hand. If you want it it's worth saving for.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:11 AM

With the wait times I dont think financing is needed. Soon the wait times will be even longer and you will have around 3 years to save
Old 03-18-2012, 10:14 AM

In my opinion, if you have to use a finance company, you have no business buying a high end firearm. For that matter I don't think you should be fiancing home applicances. Work hard and save your money and when you can write a check....buy what you want. Don't learn the hard way that interest and finance charges are not your friend. I didn't finance my toys or appliances when I was younger and I just wrote a check for a new Supergrade last week. A Wilson is a luxury worth waiting for.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
With the wait times I dont think financing is needed. Soon the wait times will be even longer and you will have around 3 years to save
$500.00 down, 12 months to pay off or instant repo now With out the work of tracking it down!

Save for it and buy it. You get more satisfaction that way!
~Benjamin Franklin
Old 03-18-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 230 View Post
$500.00 down, 12 months to pay off or instant repo now With out the work of tracking it down!

Save for it and buy it. You get more satisfaction that way!
I think Wilson charges interest on guns that are not paid off when completed
Old 03-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
George @ migunslingers.com already does this.
+1 on George..He has everything I need already, and nothing that I don't..In fact I placed another order the other day!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:02 AM

I'm reading all of the above statements and completely agree with everything said. However, I also have to wonder if we are in a minority.

Many folks have trouble saving for anything. This is the got to have it, give it to me right now society. Many probably stick the balance on a credit card and pay a much higher rate of interest and payout over longer period of time.

The recent economy problems also proved that quite a few so called "rich" folks were not rich at all living paycheck to paycheck and like many other folks lost their homes.

Unfortunately like it or not we are a credit society. Wilson would probably reach those folks and make it more attractive for them to step into a premium 1911 by offering a more viable and attractive financing solution. It would also appear to be a win/win situation for the finance company as the pistol would be their collateral. A Wilson 1911 would probably be one of the last things someone would want to give up.

And it may be a market that Wilson is not interested in pursuing. At least not now.

Last edited by dbarn; 03-18-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 AM

Several LGS offer 6 months same as cash and on occassion 12 months same as cash. Love using their money. And yes, their prices are very competitive.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT2 View Post
Several LGS offer 6 months same as cash and on occassion 12 months same as cash. Love using their money. And yes, their prices are very competitive.
Yep Bud's did this back around Thanksgiving they offered their Cash Price with 6 Months and Zero Interest. When my LGS did the transfer he asked the price I paid; when I told him the price and details he commented that I would have been foolish to have done it any other way.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 AM

The is already done by some outfits like Budsgunshop and we even did it for awhile when I worked at our LGS (forget the name of the financing company). The only problem now is that with the tight credit criteria those that can't pay cash now and need financing probably couldn't get approved.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cro View Post
Yep Bud's did this back around Thanksgiving they offered their Cash Price with 6 Months and Zero Interest. When my LGS did the transfer he asked the price I paid; when I told him the price and details he commented that I would have been foolish to have done it any other way.
That's financed through GE Money, and if you don't pay it off in the 6 months, its some crazy interest rate.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
That's financed through GE Money, and if you don't pay it off in the 6 months, its some crazy interest rate.
Hey I own a 1911 so I'm not stupid; will have it paid for in 5 payments.....
Old 03-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Financing is typically offered on things that most people NEED. Even though many of us believe we NEED a new pistol, we actual can survive without it. If you want a payment plan, take out a loan from a bank to fund your pistol.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:38 AM

With the world ending.in December, I think I'll cash in my 401k and buy guns
Old 03-18-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drillsgt View Post
The only problem now is that with the tight credit criteria those that can't pay cash now and need financing probably couldn't get approved.
Not breaking your chops but that is one of the problems we face. We often confuse need with want. Shelter, water, fire, food are needs the rest are comforts. Except a good 1911, guess that is also a need.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:17 PM

I don't think its a good idea.

One reason the price is going up is the demand. Prices have been going up over the years as noted on this site alone. Even as prices go up the line to get a WC went out the door and around the corner...and now blocking traffic a block down the street with a 1.5-2yr turn time. If anything the price increase can be seen as a way to cut the line. A high end manufacturer focused on customer service and quality products surely can not be thrilled their customers are waiting so long. I commend WC for sticking with the quality and take the high road instead of churning out a quicker to market product. This highroad is why people are willing to wait in the first place. The last thing a serious manufacturer needs is a finance gimmick to bring more business and the potential for having a specific optioned pistol "repo'd"...great now they have only received a % of money owed and a pistol that will probably have to be sold at a discount to get it out the door or get bumped to the next closest build and loose some time making changes...how does that look to the next guy in line?

Financing is going to also drive the cost UP overall, as financing is not free. The customer will pay for the risk of financing via interest. Now the customer is paying monthly on something not even in hand yet and more overall. The business will pay its own fees to either a 3rd party finance company (to diminish their risks) or in paying employees in house via a finance dept.

I think the current payment option is more than accommodating. I take the line of "easy come, easy go" if using a credit mentality in that as potentially easy the financing could be the easy the commitment to back out is. If the customer finances with a CC, loan shark, or whatever on their own WC gets their money and can focus on the product.

I think the financing would take the focus off the quality and experience and with a long wait time financing goes against this waiting. If financing is for the "quick and easy"...how is that going to sit if this "quick and easy" guy has to wait 2yrs? If its quick and easy pick up a used WC.

I really hope to place an order someday for a full on WC build. I will save up for the purchase. I may place the order on my Cabela's card and pay it off with the moneys saved up...club points on a large purchase would be nice. Just putting that kind of balance on a CC for a toy IMHO is nuts if you don't intend to pay it off within 1-3months MAX unless you get 0% for 12mo and can easily pay off the balance in the time frame.

With already existing options why offer financing to only pick up risk and take some focus off building a awesome product.

Last edited by blksn955.o; 03-18-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:08 PM

Um I am not interested in financing nor would I need to skip lunch to save for one.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:18 PM

If you want to finance it and make payments, put it on your credit card.
Closed Thread