1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Revolvers

Old 03-17-2012, 07:07 AM

doing homework for a first revolver, seeking assistance

long time rifleman that's new to handguns, got some semi autos (browning .22, remington 1911 .45acp), would like to get a revolver for fun shooting/"target", with a good 6" or longer barrel length, iron sights only. as to caliber, it'll mostly be .38spl but i know most .357 revolvers allow shooting .38spl as well. i like single action, but not adverse to both sa/da revolvers. the low price point looks good for a ruger blackhawk, but since i dunno much about wheelguns, perhaps i should be looking at s&w or .... ?

your comments, please. much obliged.

Last edited by rfd; 03-17-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:14 AM

I shoot my Smith 686 more accurately than my 1911s, it's a four inch barrel and lots of fun.
However, .357 doesn't work in a .38 revolver, not sure you are aware of that.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in Colorado View Post
I shoot my Smith 686 more accurately than my 1911s, it's a four inch barrel and lots of fun.
However, .357 doesn't work in a .38 revolver, not sure you are aware of that.
what i meant is that most .357's revolvers allow .38spl as well.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 AM

+1 to Jeff in Colorado.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Rugers are good, S&W are too. I would handle both and see what fits you the best for weight and balance. For me, if I had only one wheel gun, I would not go single action only. Look on Gunbroker to get an idea of what you like. Then go to your FLGS and handle them. You could get a S&W in 45acp, Model 25, then you won't need to lay in so many calibers of ammo. Big hole with wheel gun dependability.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:32 AM

I own several double action revolvers from Colt and S&W, and I have owned a couple of Ruger Blackhawks, not to mention the 1911's and other semi-autos.

If I was new to revolvers today and did not want to hunt some discontinued model used, which requires being able to determine condition to a degree, I would no doubt look to Ruger for the best bang-for-the-buck revolver. For single action revolvers, the choices might be a little more diverse depending upon what you are looking for, but for most purposes nothing is going to be stronger than a Ruger Blackhawk.

You are correct that the revolvers chambered for .357mag will also fire .38spcl, and indeed most folks I know shoot more .38spcl in their magnums. It may be the most versatile chambering for a handgun, and my personal preference.

The Ruger Blackhawk is available in a variety of barrel lengths and finishes to suit your tastes, simple to operate and quality built. Stainless is a bit easier to maintain and more carefree.

Double action shooting is a bit different on the trigger and in the grip, and a little better suited if it is to be used for defensive purposes. A Ruger GP100 would be a good place to start for a revolver newbie if that is the way you want to travel.

Good luck with your revolver shooting. They are a lot of fun and still very functional for a variety of uses.

Tim
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

IMO, it depends on whether you want a single action or double action revolver. A DA revolver can be fired in single action, but not vice-versa. Also, SA revolvers have to be loaded and unloaded one round at a time.

My preference is double action revolvers because they can also be fired single action when wanted, and because they are much quicker to load & unload. In a DA revolver, I prefer S&W unless I could have a Python.

A 4" barrel is much more versatile than 6", and accuracy really doesn't suffer that much.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-17-2012, 07:58 AM

Best intro revolver imho is the S&W 15/67 (15 is blued, 67 is stainless model). You can buy cheaper ones, but not ones you want to keep a lifetime/

Eye friendly adustable sights, great accuracy for satisfaction. 4" is as accurate as 6", (tested and proven!), and more available and practical. The model 10 or "pre-model" M&P is just as good, just lacks adjustable sights and widely available in great condition for $300. Hold out for a pre-war model if you are patient, and insist on original grips.

I have hand-built Caspian and Colt .45s, but at 15 yards my gritty war-finished .38 Victory from '42 holds a better group when loaded with target rounds, crude sights and al, and fired DA (with practice, though).

Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 AM

i've shot my club member's revolvers, both ruger and s&w - .38spl, .357m, .45colt, .44spl, .41mag - they all seem to feel fine in my newbie handgun hand, and all shoot well enuf for me. i'm not looking for a carry gun or hunting, just indoor range plinking/target at up to 25 yards, outdoors to 50 yards and maybe longer distances. i'm liking the blackhawk based on the much lower cost - dunno if the price tag alone is a good enuf reason in terms of quality as compared to an s&w 686 ... ?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:33 AM

Single action Rugers offer a good low price starting point for sure. The loading and unloading gets old very fast when you're burning through a lot of rounds.

The 357 isn't what I consider a fun plinking round, just to stout for me when I'm wanting to shoot 200-300 rounds. Plus you will over pay for the 357 when you just end up shooting 38 spl most of the time anyway.

There's a ton of service sized used Double action revolvers in 38 spl out there. I found a Ruger GP 100 in 38 spl only, a security guard trade in for $250, not long ago. All kinds of S&W trade in out there too.

For what you're wanting just find a good double action 38 spl and get ready to shoot all day with no pain. Good Luck, and be sure to let us know what you found.

Doubt: The only thing I'm sure of.

Fear: The only thing I'm afraid of.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:58 AM

I have no shortage of nice double action revolvers from Colt and S&W which get shot often.

Comparing them to a single action Blackhawk is apples and oranges.

Personally, I would consider buying a new Blackhawk but would not be interested in the current crop of S&W's. Nice vintage Colts and S&W's are not always easy to buy inexpensively, and most police trade-ins are not 6-inch barrels like you want.

The Ruger Blackhawk is a solid quality built revolver which will serve you well, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that gun for the purposes you intend. Good luck and have fun!

Tim
Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 AM

Like this poster said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamerer View Post
Best intro revolver imho is the S&W 15/67 (15 is blued, 67 is stainless model). You can buy cheaper ones, but not ones you want to keep a lifetime/

Eye friendly adustable sights, great accuracy for satisfaction. 4" is as accurate as 6", (tested and proven!), and more available and practical. The model 10 or "pre-model" M&P is just as good, just lacks adjustable sights and widely available in great condition for $300. Hold out for a pre-war model if you are patient, and insist on original grips.

I have hand-built Caspian and Colt .45s, but at 15 yards my gritty war-finished .38 Victory from '42 holds a better group when loaded with target rounds, crude sights and al, and fired DA (with practice, though).

This is a very good way to go for a beginner. If you are going to hunt or use it for personal protection. Then I would tell you to go with the .357. But for most purposes, including personal protection .38 Special will work fine.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
long time rifleman that's new to handguns, got some semi autos (browning .22, remington 1911 .45acp), would like to get a revolver for fun shooting/"target", with a good 6" or longer barrel length, iron sights only. as to caliber, it'll mostly be .38spl but i know most .357 revolvers allow shooting .38spl as well. i like single action, but not adverse to both sa/da revolvers. the low price point looks good for a ruger blackhawk, but since i dunno much about wheelguns, perhaps i should be looking at s&w or .... ?

your comments, please. much obliged.
Here is one suggestion that won't cost you a lot. A Ruger Security Six 6 inch 357 magnum revolver. Well balanced accurate and best of all you can find one used for about $350 to $400.
Regards,
Howard
Old 03-17-2012, 04:17 PM

thanx for all your suggestions so far. i have a month before i'm allowed to add another handgun to my safe - thank you, new jersey ... NOT! - so i'm taking all your suggestions to heart. right now i'm still leaning towards the ruger blackhawk .357 and can get a new one for less than $450/delivered to my ffl - of course it's another $50 for the papers and NICS. plus. i'll be reloading for it so will need dies and cartidge components. anyhoo, i liked the way the ruger felt and shot for me (a .44spl and .41mag), and i actually prefer the single action. someone wanna talk me outta the ruger and on to .... ?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Rugers are great and if you can get one for a good price, then I am sure you'll be happy with it. I am a bit partial to N-frame S&Ws myself. Great target guns, and with a 38 special load, there is virtually no recoil because of the nice weight of the gun. I shoot mine mostly single action for good accurate and fun target plinking. Example of one is my 27-2 .357 in 6 inch. Good luck!

Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 PM

NICE gun, musc - me like! that grip looks really great, too!
Old 03-17-2012, 05:09 PM

My preference has always been the 357 Mag and I like the S&W model 686. It is an excellent range gun and allows a lot of flexability in loads.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
NICE gun, musc - me like! that grip looks really great, too!
Thanks rfd! The grips aren't as fancy as some of the classic wood grips, but they are very functional and make shooting a lot of rounds very comfortable. They are Hogue's.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:35 PM

S&W K-38 the Model 14. Superbly accurate and well balanced. EVERY Pistolero should own both a K-38 and it's .22 LR counterpart the M-17 or K-22.

The Herrett stocked gun is my 35 yr old shooter, the other is a NIB 1966 gun.

FN in MT
Old 03-17-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post

S&W K-38 the Model 14. Superbly accurate and well balanced. EVERY Pistolero should own both a K-38 and it's .22 LR counterpart the M-17 or K-22.

The Herrett stocked gun is my 35 yr old shooter, the other is a NIB 1966 gun.

FN in MT
wow, those are just beautiful!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:32 PM

One thing to consider if your going with the Ruger. They make the Blackhawk in a convertible line. That is you can get a .357 with an extra cylinder fitted to shoot 9mm, or a .45 with a cylinder in ACP and another in Long Colt.

Either way your able to shoot bulk ammo cheaper then the other caliber.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...le/models.html
Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 AM

Smith & Wesson K, L or N frame. You pick the finish. Any Colt double or single action. Ruger Security Six or similar model or a single action. It is really that simple and get ready but, one probably won't be enough.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:58 AM

get the blackhawk you wont regret it. i had one years ago that my ex wife made me sell. my new wife got me another for christmas and its like having an old friend back. i have the 4 5/8 barrel stainless 357 . alot of revolver shooters always go into sa mode when target shooting so if it is just for plinking why not get a sa only. if you want a revolver for home defense as well then the gp100 or a smith would do you better. yes loading and unloading a sa is more work but when you are shooting expensive 357 do you really want to burn thru them as fast as you would a 9mm. the other side benefit on the blackhawk is the removable cylinder the caliber conversions are great but also cleaning is alot easier compared to a swing out cylinder. not a big deal but i am excessive about cleaning my guns.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:03 AM

My first revolver choice was a Taurus 66 .357 magnum. Now why ruger and SW are better choices, there is nothing wrong with taurus IMO. It really comes down to budget. At the time I bought my taurus it was all I could afford, and I do not regret it. Infact, my 66 is one of my favorite guns to take to the range because I can shoot the crap out of it and not really worry about if something goes wrong because if it breaks... hey it didnt cost alot, plus it has a lifetime warranty. It is hit or miss with taurus revolvers, but I own 2 of them, and I have put alot of rounds through my 66 without any issues. With rubber and wood grips:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...yfan88/357.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...-09-52_206.jpg
Old 03-18-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
thanx for all your suggestions so far. i have a month before i'm allowed to add another handgun to my safe - thank you, new jersey ... NOT! - so i'm taking all your suggestions to heart. right now i'm still leaning towards the ruger blackhawk .357 and can get a new one for less than $450/delivered to my ffl - of course it's another $50 for the papers and NICS. plus. i'll be reloading for it so will need dies and cartidge components. anyhoo, i liked the way the ruger felt and shot for me (a .44spl and .41mag), and i actually prefer the single action. someone wanna talk me outta the ruger and on to .... ?
Sir, FWIW, I've had a bunch of Ruger single-actions over the years, including Single-Sixes, Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks, and one early Vaquero. They're good guns--there's just not much to go wrong with them. As a rule, their triggers aren't as nice out of the box as the single-action trigger on a Smith & Wesson, but that's relatively easy to correct.

Hope this helps, and Semper Fi.

Ron H.