1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvkdphillips View Post
Your RIA will fit the same as any 1911, it doesn't matter.

Bob
That's what I was thinking...just wanted to make sure before I ordered something and it wasn't right...any suggestions on iwb holsters?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM

Milt Sparks VMII, Milt Sparks Summer Special. Galco summer comfort or Galco King Tut. All work very well. I'm sure others will come up with more options.

Bob
COTEP #0071
Old 03-13-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samvswild View Post
How would one go about ordering a summer special holster
Brownells stocks the Sparks Summer Special II for 1911s in various lengths.

I have one for a 5" 1911. It is not quite as comfortable as the VM2 because it doesn't spread the weight and shape as well. However, you can wear it closer to 3:00 than the VM2, and it seems to hold its position reasonably well. It moves around more than the VM2, which may add to its comfort level. It bulges more because the loops are on the thickest part of the holster.

Last edited by Neumann; 03-13-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmckeehan View Post
That's what I was thinking...just wanted to make sure before I ordered something and it wasn't right...any suggestions on iwb holsters?
Kelley Gunleather C-flex. It's a variation of the Milt Spark's VM2. I carry a Springfield Champion SS in one and just ordered another one in horse leather for a government lenght with rail.
http://www.kelleygunleather.com/imag...af7ad91224.jpg
Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM

I carry a variety of guns just for the variety. Most times its a 1911 of one sort or another and lately, since I qualified it as functional, my day to day carry has been an all steel series 80 Combat Commander. Carried in a Galco 119 Concealment holster at appendix position.

All day comfort and I can sit in my car or an office chair or one of the bar stools in the LGS with no problems. I knew the Commander was the right gun for me when I got my Vbob but that gun is too purdy to subject to the slings and arrows of day to day carry. I really don't, with this holster and the fact that I don't have any excess over top of my belt, notice the difference between a bobtail and a standard commander.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:22 AM

Garret Fusion at 3:00-3:30 with no problems.
I have raised it a bit higher (there is plenty of adjustment range), and it is extremely comfortable with no problems sitting or driving.
Using a true gun belt (The Beltman) I really don't notice much a difference between 5" and Commander (which rides in a SS2 or usually a Garret ST, same belt position).
Old 03-14-2012, 10:34 AM

You guys are gonna laugh at me. I carry my FS 1911 in a cheap Blackhawk iwb holster. Yes, the nylon type that costs about ten bucks. Obviously, it can't be reholstered without loosening my belt. In rides fine carrying all day though. Also conceals well as long as I have a decent fitting (loose enough) tee shirt on. I'm looking at a Sumer comfort type of holster.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:48 PM

If you read my last post, I have a newbie question. Is a sweatguard necessary? My usual evening routine means I wipe the gun down right before placing it on my dresser with my wallet, keys, etc. I take good care of my stuff, and I want it to stay nice, but I realize, that if I carry/use anything daily, it will eventually show some wear.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw78 View Post
If you read my last post, I have a newbie question. Is a sweatguard necessary? My usual evening routine means I wipe the gun down right before placing it on my dresser with my wallet, keys, etc. I take good care of my stuff, and I want it to stay nice, but I realize, that if I carry/use anything daily, it will eventually show some wear.
The sweat shield or the body protector is a good thing to have on a IWB holster. It will keep the gun from rubbing and pokeing your skin. With a properly molded or formed 1911 holster will have the thumb safety indention formed in the shield.

I have a Galco IWB for a 3 inch 1911 with out the shield, and it's uncomfortable. When the safety gouged me the 1st time, it was the last time it got worn.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:50 PM

Good info. Thanks. Unfortunately there is nowhere local that keeps anything in stock. Without some decent info from sites like this. A guy could waste a lot of money.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 PM

Try being a lefty and find something in stock at a store
Old 03-14-2012, 05:18 PM

try a white hat hoster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3aMgnyAJgI
Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM

I have a cheap BH holster too. I use it for quick appendix carries out to the car or to get the mail or whatever. I actually leave my gun in it when I am home to keep the dust off.

I was a little irritated when I bought it thinking I had been taken by the local trading post kid but I actually like it for stuff like I mentioned.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:07 AM

Thanks for all the replies! And, I was so unaware that my lack of holster accumulation reflected poorly! I'm behind on my collection, apparently. Lol. Anyway, looks like a few holsters I need to try out.

Holster question, Garrett Industries makes two versions of the Fusion. Is one better than the other? I can't tell a difference, but there is a price difference. Don't know...

Secondly, I've positioned the full-size so I can sit more comfortably, but I am having more problems. The barrel hangs down just by my wallet. If the gun is holstered, so is the wallet. But, otherwise, the grip will tear into my leather seats in the truck. And, the truck is my baby. When I drove the car, I didn't notice so much because if the cloth seats.

I've played with it a couple hours today and I can't seem to get it right. Also, any opinions on paddle vs pancake holsters? I tried a Blackhawk concealment paddle today, and even with my shirt untucked seemed to scream, "Look at me! I have a gun! Look!" Much more comfortable than IWB, but I'm afraid anything OWB will have to wait until next winter. If we have one. I think I only wore my coat once this winter. Anyway, my next holster purchase will likely be the Garrett Fusion and a Milt Sparks. Still looking into others. The CrossBreed is comfortable. I even forget about the 1911 if standing, walking or working. But, the sitting...I always have issues there. Lol. I know, I need a Segway to get me to work.

"Hollow Points - For those who care enough to send the very best."
Old 03-15-2012, 05:24 AM

DocJ, carrying a big gun as you can already see create's more challenge's. You will find out that you will have to dress around the big gun.

With my wallet, my barrel is about an inch above it with an IWB and 4 inch barrel. I have small hands and I can fish my wallet out. When I start carrying my 5 inch, I'll probably put my wallet on the right side, problem solved.

I can't offer any comment's about OWB holster's. I've tried one and didn't care for it. I'm a little fella and it seemed like the holster stuck out a foot on my side.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:42 AM

+1 for sweat shields!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 AM

My friend, . . . it is not the gun that is the problem: and I know some folks won't approve of my non PC statement, . . . it is that junk plastic holster you have.

Get a good leather holster, . . . one that will actually flex a little (stupid plastic breaks, . . . it don't flex like leather does), . . . get one that covers the whole weapon, . . . you will find out that you can carry that 5" with no trouble.

The only reason I now carry a Commander, . . . I really like the way it shoots, . . . feels in my hand. If it were not for that, . . . my full size 1911 would still be my EDC.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:11 PM

I have a Milt Sparks VM2 that I wear at about 3 o'clock and it's plenty comfortable with a 5 inch. I'm not sure I'm doing anything special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw78 View Post
You guys are gonna laugh at me. I carry my FS 1911 in a cheap Blackhawk iwb holster. Yes, the nylon type that costs about ten bucks. Obviously, it can't be reholstered without loosening my belt. In rides fine carrying all day though. Also conceals well as long as I have a decent fitting (loose enough) tee shirt on. I'm looking at a Sumer comfort type of holster.
I have one of these too. It works fine for a cheapie. It was my first holster while I waited for my VM2. Later I got a executive's companion that worked great too.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 PM

My favorite is an Andrews Leather MacDaniel II and a Carjacker Crossdraw... they are great.

http://www.andrewsleather.com
Old 03-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Another vote for the Sparks Summer Special. Been carrying a 5" steel 1911 since 1996 in a SS in approx. the "4:00-5:00" position (varies slightly depending upon the pair of pants).

Having a good quality belt made by a gun leather manufacturer is the biggest factor in ensuring it rides comfortably and is stable. I have a Sparks that I bought at the same time I bought the SS. Still going strong, although I've had to re-finish it with black leather dye a few times.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM

I carry a full size steel everyday in a Wilson Lo-Profile high ride pancake...keeps the muzzle right at the top line of my back pocket, but is very concealed and easy to draw from

COTEP CBOB0523
Old 03-16-2012, 05:20 PM

I am really curious as to the age of you guys that carry a full-size 1911 around all day. I qualify for senior discounts everywhere I go and cant stand the weight of anything more than a J frame Airweight these days!
Old 03-16-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespapa View Post
I am really curious as to the age of you guys that carry a full-size 1911 around all day. I qualify for senior discounts everywhere I go and cant stand the weight of anything more than a J frame Airweight these days!
I carry a 442 all the time and when I go out I strap on a 1911 (could be full size, or a steel or LW Commander.) I've had senior discounts longer than I want to remember.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mannatt View Post
Don't know why you would get holes in your pants with a Supertuck.But a full size 1911 is the last gun I reach for,nothing to justify it over my 4 inch or my officer frame.With OWB,and I prefer that,a gov't frame puts the muzzle below the waist of a motor jacket.Not buying that.An officer frame,carried IWB,can be easily concealed under a tucked t-shirt for hot weather riding.
The edge of the slide on my 1911's wear on the inside of my pants (rubbing), which causes holes on each side of my pants just in front of the rear pockets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joespapa View Post
I carry 2 5" 1911's every day (as well as a S&W 442 on my ankle). Then again, I am also 21 years old, 6'2" & 270lbs.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 PM

I carry at around 4:00 position, outside of waistband. When I'm in the office, I simply don't use the 3:00 belt loophole and swipe the gun & holster to 2:00 position while at the desk. Can't even feel that I have full sized smith by my side then. Swipe it to the back when walking and that's it.

It's not a very deep concealment, but it's comfortable and doesn't require replacing a holster that I like for walking and standing.