1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 03-12-2012, 12:41 PM

G.Wm.Davis Leather

Do you have any Davis leather? How is it performing all these years later? I still wear a belt that he made for me 35 years ago and have at last 4 holsters that receive regular use and are as good as the day I picked them up at the shop. One of the belts I wear has some stitching that has worn out and I'll get it stitched up at the shoe makers. I recall getting this particular belt at a combat shoot down in Mexico in the early 80's and it has been worn a lot.
How about you?
Old 03-12-2012, 01:42 PM

Don't have any of his leather but if you have a belt that has been worn for that many years, I'd say #1 you got your monies worth and #2 the maker does one heck of a job.

Congrat's.
Certified Firearms Instructor
Semper Fi
Old 03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
1911 Aficionado

I have an old Davis rig, and a couple of mag pouches, that are still going strong.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM

Thats a long time to have a belt. A belt made you me 35 years ago wouldn't fit around my waist now. It must be good quality.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM

I am wearing A G WM Davis belt right now My father passed along to me because.... Well it was no longer his size. He wore it daily until it no longer fit and he passed it along to me. I had his canted Liberty holster for a while too until he requested it back. The belt has some wear, but for being purchased in the mid to late 70's and being worn daily for many years is has held up quite well. I have often thought of retiring it and buying a new Davis leather belt. But this one is still doing its job well. Maybe it is a bit worn and not as stiff, but I can still carry a full size Springfield GI in a Roy's Original Pancake (another 70's era hand me down). Or it also works with my Crossbreed Supertuck. No complaints! I perhaps may have to purchase one of my own as this one may someday not fit me, but the 100$ they request for their belt or holster is money very well spent in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 AM

In my case, lets see now ..... the belt cost something like $65-70 in 1980 $, and here we are how many years later? Ummmm 65 divided by 35 = damned cheap?! And I'll be wearing my Davis leather for more years so at some point he may have to pay me? <gg>
Last time I talked to Gordon he was sounding good/positive but was down on one knee with diabetes. Still he was working on a new inside the pants holster for the 1911 and said he's send me a prototype for T/E.
He did some great things for shooters and is/was a pretty decent shooter himself.
Semper Fi
Rocky
Old 03-14-2012, 09:24 AM

I'm not sure if you are aware of the "new" Davis Leather Company, in the event you are looking for some new gear.

http://davisleathercompany.com/
Old 03-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtq View Post
I'm not sure if you are aware of the "new" Davis Leather Company, in the event you are looking for some new gear.

I can attest that this is super good quality and true to the old Davis traditions. He is excellent to work with as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Roy's Original Pancake (another 70's era hand me down).
Guess I'm showing my age, but I well remember when I bought my first holster in 1975. It was made by Roy Baker. The "Pancake" holster was quite "radical" at the time..... Some years later I personally watched him put the finishing touches on an OWB "Pancake" holster for Ruger P90. He didn't have the holster finished when I arrived at the scheduled pick up time so he finished it while I was watching. Super nice guy. :-) I traded off the P90 many years ago, but didn't have the heart to get rid of the holster.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:51 PM

I wear a 30 year old Davis belt every day.

I wore a Davis duty holster (4500) in uniform for many years.

I stioll have a ton of his stuff and it wears very well.

ML
Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Interesting. I just ordered a Liberty holster from Dave Cox to replace my old original Gordon Davis holster that was lost/stolen during a move several years ago. The interesting part is that I contacted Dave not at Davis Leather Co., but at www.cedarridgesaddlery.com. The phone numbers and address are the same, so I don't know if he is doing business under both names, or if he has changed the name of the business. He was very responsive to my emails, and we were able to work out the details of the order quickly. Looking forward to getting my new leather.....
Old 03-25-2012, 04:52 PM

Posted on the front page of the Cedar Ridge Saddlery website.

Quote:
Over the last 35 years I have had the privilege to work with and learn from some of the best craftsmen in the leather industry. My last mentor and good friend, Gordon Davis, taught me how to build and design holsters at a master’s level. John Bianchi once told me that Gordon was the best holster craftsman he had ever known. Gordon and I worked side by side for six years. When he retired in 2006, I bought all his equipment and patterns and now carry on the Davis Leather tradition.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw View Post
Posted on the front page of the Cedar Ridge Saddlery website.

But the Davis Leather website is still active today. Maybe this is a transition period from the old business name to the new....Doesn't really make any difference anyway.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:38 PM

I'm confused as well. As you say, no big deal. Still an excellent product.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:09 PM

I think we touched on this on a thread last fall. If I recall correctly he was under the Cedar Ridge Saddlery name, but is transitioning to the Davis Leather name. He has incorporated the horse shoe in the logo from the Cedar Ridge Saddlery into his new Davis logo.

You are correct though, the two websites are nearly identical.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I think we touched on this on a thread last fall. If I recall correctly he was under the Cedar Ridge Saddlery name, but is transitioning to the Davis Leather name. He has incorporated the horse shoe in the logo from the Cedar Ridge Saddlery into his new Davis logo.

You are correct though, the two websites are nearly identical.
If I'm not mistaken, that horseshoe is actually the Omega symbol that Gordon used for years before he sold out. He is also a member of the Thor/Omega Group and designed a holster specifically for members of that group and it had their unique symbol embossed on the side of the holster....an Omega pierced by a lightning bolt. You can see that symbol from time to time and was shown in pictures in Chuck Taylors book on combat handguns.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:36 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Cop View Post
But the Davis Leather website is still active today. Maybe this is a transition period from the old business name to the new....Doesn't really make any difference anyway.
Yeah, that's it. I ordered a belt/holster from Cedar Ridge about a year ago, and Dave Cox told me it would be delivered with the new Cox/Davis logo.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 AM

To add to the confusion there is also Davis Leather Inc in Kuna Idaho.I bought me a new Ruger SR22 and could not find anyone who makes a custom holster for it as its a new gun.Well he has the Blue gun to make em and made Ruger some for the shotshow.Was a pleasure talking to him on the phone.I should have my new holster in a week.He makes em for other new rugers as well.Just another option.Check out his web site.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Still going strong: Gordon Wm. Davis Realist

I have several Davis holsters and carriers as well as some belts. All great gear!!!

John
Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 PM

Here is a rig made recently by Dave Cox.....its looks even better in person

Old 03-27-2012, 06:33 AM

Here is a holster for my Beretta PX4 Dave made me a little over a year ago. Top notch product!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
Here is a holster for my Beretta PX4 Dave made me a little over a year ago. Top notch product!

very nice; reminds me of desert cactus.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 AM

ML
Old 07-15-2012, 02:55 PM

A year or so ago I got a couple holsters, a belt, and two mag carriers from Dave. He's a real gentleman. During the order we got a mix up and he sent me mag carriers with a loop through design, rather than the clip I requested. When I mentioned it, he immediately turned around two additional mag carriers at no charge. Only after I pressed him did he accept payment for the additional mag carriers (I kept the original ones because they are damn fine). But I couldn't get him to charge me for both - just one. He's a real pleasure to do business with.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:46 PM

I have a bunch of gear made by Gordon. He and I were friends in the 1980s, and I convinced my department to switch over his duty holster. I wore his holsters in training and off-duty carry, and had 3 different color belts made for my suits when I made detective. I last saw him at the SHOT Show in Vegas years ago. Wonderful guy.

Last edited by Al Booth; 07-15-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: mis-spelling