1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 PM

Discontinued Values??'s

A buddy of mine has been collecting Kimbers for years and has about 50 of them. He has changed his interest to other pistols and is in the process of selling them off. I am trading into a Ultra CDP, but he also has a Stainless Gold Match in 40 S&W and a Stainless Super Match in .45 that caught my eye. What is the realistic value of these? I see them posted on GB but they aren't selling for their asking price. I did not see the Gold Match in .40 and don't know if that caliber would bring more or not. He has .17's, .22's and others including a "Team" something or other that he likes. Should I go after any of these??
Old 03-10-2012, 07:15 PM

They aren't worth more than he paid. They are worth what you, or someone is willing to pay. If you are buying to shoot, they will probably lose value. If you are buying to collect, buy the most rare in only new condition.

people often confuse valuable with collectable.
A collectable you might not be able to buy at any price, collectors buy they don't sell.
Some Kimbers are Valuable, but if you have the cash, you can buy alot of them.
A lot of people are hurting for cash, so there are alot of interesting opportunitys
out there. JMO
Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 PM

About the only thing that might bring a little more $$ is the .40 S&W's. There weren't a lot of them, and there's aren't many that ever come up for sale, so for those that like the caliber, they might give a little more.

The auction sites are the best place to get an idea what they're selling for. Otherwise, each one is worth what you're wiling to pay, and he's willing to sell for.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
They aren't worth more than he paid.
people often confuse valuable with collectable.
A collectable you might not be able to buy at any price, collectors buy they don't sell.
How could you possibly state that they are not worth more than he paid?? Do you know what he paid for them? As an example, original Clackamas Customs sold for $469 retail. They now sell for easily twice that and more depending on condition.

Also, collectors buy and SELL all the time. That is how they fine tune their collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRJim View Post
About the only thing that might bring a little more $$ is the .40 S&W's. There weren't a lot of them.....
Kimber stopped making models available in .40 S&W for good reason. They didn't sell and therefore were discontinued.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:11 PM

Location: Land of mists and mellow fruitfulness...oh, and rain. Lots.
Hard to say, aside from any Clackamas roll marked ones, some of the first limited "custom shop" pieces such as the Stainless Covert, Pro Elite, Gold Guardian might be of interest, but I don't see them selling above their original MSRPS...
There was a Stainless Covert on one auction sight not selling for $1700 a while back...
Old 03-11-2012, 12:52 PM

I don't think he has any of the old Clackamas made guns. I think I can pick up that Super Match for around $1500 NIB. I really don't want it, but I am getting a couple of his CDP's (NIB)for under dealer's cost......... just wondering if there is any meat left on the bone
Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45auto View Post
How could you possibly state that they are not worth more than he paid?? Do you know what he paid for them? As an example, original Clackamas Customs sold for $469 retail. They now sell for easily twice that and more depending on condition.

Also, collectors buy and SELL all the time. That is how they fine tune their collection.

Kimber stopped making models available in .40 S&W for good reason. They didn't sell and therefore were discontinued.
Kimbers current equvilent of the Clackamas is the Custom II, which sells for something less than $1000. And just about the same as a Clackamas in very good to excellent condition, with box and paper intact. You can buy a Clack here in AZ for less than what you'd pay for a NIB Kimber Custom II.

The collectors I've known, buy to collect, and yes sometimes sell or barter for the rare. I like Kimbers, and they hold value well, but with cash, there are plenty available. Even if you have a lot of cash, VERY difficult to buy a 1863 Peacemaker, those in collections are not for sale. Your opinion is different than mine,
nice we have a forum to share them.

Last edited by Onegoodshot; 03-11-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
Kimbers current equvilent of the Clackamas is the Custom II.....
I don't think so.....