1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Ed Brown

Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 AM

[QUOTE=Ratoshigan

Do WC 47 and 47D mags do the same thing? Are the WC 500 ETM mags the next generation mag to replace the 47D mags? Hrm... Tripp research doesn't make a 7rd mag with polymer basepad, but they do make a 10rd one. How much do those stick out? Does the 10rd mag have any functionality problems? I don't hear many people raving about the Ed Brown mags like I do about the WC and TR mags. Are they considered a lesser quality mag?

John[/QUOTE]

Its all bussiness , i have two 47 and two 47D. then I bought a wc500-EMT. Same mags different base pad. BTW on my 47D i took out the guts , and installed the TRIPP upgrade kit super7. Its working like a rolex on my range officer.
Bushmaster AR-15-.223 / MOSS.500 12ga Tac-Mod
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 AM

This thread is the best discussion of mag characteristics I have read in a long time.

Any chance it could become a Stickey?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 AM

Can anyone confirm the checkmate model number that is the EB 7rd? (is it the CM45-7-S-H or the CM45-7-S)

Thanks.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Banned

I prefer the 7rd, mags. over the 8's. I only keep seven in the 8's also. I did not like the Wilson base plate even the short one,on the mag. in the gun. So I made a flat base out of SS that I have had no problems with. It was very easy to make also.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsecsys View Post
Can anyone confirm the checkmate model number that is the EB 7rd? (is it the CM45-7-S-H or the CM45-7-S)

Thanks.
CM45-7-S-H-CMF........CMF, is the check-mate follower "dimpled". These have the Hi-performance springs.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/ca...1&idproduct=26

I do not have the email confirming "CM45-7-S-H-CMF" is the Ed Brown 7rd. but you can email/call Checkmate to verify. The mags are identical in every way...very strong springs.

You can check prices at Top Gun.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-ma...-magazine.html

Last edited by dts; 04-29-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the info Dale.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM

I'm not sure the Ed Brown magazines are the hybrids. I've compared them to Checkmate hybrids and the feed lips look wider, at least on the ones I have. They might be CM45-7-S-CMF instead.

They're definitely stainless 7 round Checkmates with the CMF follower though, the patent number on the follower is the same for both the Ed Brown and the Checkmate branded magazines.

EDIT: from another topic on the subject:

Quote:
Brown magazines made by Checkmate use the patented Checkmate follower. You can tell because they have Checkmate's patent# on them. The equivalent Checkmate part # will end with -CMF.

Decoding Checkmate's part #s:

B - blued
S - stainless
CMF - Checkmate follower (used on Brown branded 7 and 8 round mags)
H - hybrid feed lips (good for everything)
GI - GI feed lips (great for hardball, bad for everything else)
RB - removable base
BP - bumper pad

If the part # doesn't specify feed lips they're wadcutter, and if it doesn't specify follower it's a GI-style flat follower. -CMF magazines also have a "high performance" spring, and it's a beeping strong spring!

I've compared Brown 7 round magazines to Checkmate magazines with the hybrid lips and I'm pretty sure the Browns are using wadcutter feed lips. So I'm pretty sure the Checkmate part # for what Brown puts their name on is CM45-7-S-CMF. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong...they're pretty close in appearance either way.
Forgot to add earlier, most aftermarket magazines use wadcutter feed lips, so it's not strange if Ed Brown spec'ed those. IIRC the hybrid feed lips were first developed for Colt to get their 1911s feeding hollow points.

Last edited by CastleBravo; 04-30-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
I'm not sure the Ed Brown magazines are the hybrids. I've compared them to Checkmate hybrids and the feed lips look wider, at least on the ones I have. They might be CM45-7-S-CMF instead.

They're definitely stainless 7 round Checkmates with the CMF follower though, the patent number on the follower is the same for both the Ed Brown and the Checkmate branded magazines.

EDIT: from another topic on the subject:

Forgot to add earlier, most aftermarket magazines use wadcutter feed lips, so it's not strange if Ed Brown spec'ed those. IIRC the hybrid feed lips were first developed for Colt to get their 1911s feeding hollow points.
My Ed Brown Kobra Carry was purchased on 2/19/2011. The Ed Brown 7rd. mag that came with the Kobra definitely has the "hybird" tapered feed lips and not the straight/parallel "wadcutter" lips. The Checkmate CM45-7-S-H-CMF is identical.

Last edited by dts; 04-30-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM

That's good to know.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:18 PM

Wow this one of the most helpful threads I've read in awhile. I've been shopping around for a new magazine but wanted something that was going to fit flush to my bobtail. Seems like the CMC is what I'm going with! Thanks all.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 AM

The difference I saw might have been an optical illusion since I was comparing blued Checkmate hybrids to stainless Ed Brown mags with my Mark 1 eyeball. I might make a point to compare them again but I have no reason to doubt dts.

Ed Brown's 8 pack looks exactly like the CM45-8-S-RB-EXT, just with different markings on the mag body & base pad.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The difference I saw might have been an optical illusion since I was comparing blued Checkmate hybrids to stainless Ed Brown mags with my Mark 1 eyeball. I might make a point to compare them again but I have no reason to doubt dts.

Ed Brown's 8 pack looks exactly like the CM45-8-S-RB-EXT, just with different markings on the mag body & base pad.
If I can I will take a pic of the Ed Brown and Checkmate together,than post. But who knows, Ed Brown may have sent different ones out.

I'm not familiar with the Ed Brown 8 pack because I use the CMC Power Mags as backup, they've been without malfunction.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:20 PM

FWIW, I just got a shipment of the CM45-7-S-H-CMF in today and they are exactly the same as the Ed Brown 7rd that came with my Special Forces Carry (with the exception of it does not say Ed Brown on the side and the Check-mate logo is on the base pad).

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netsecsys View Post
FWIW, I just got a shipment of the CM45-7-S-H-CMF in today and they are exactly the same as the Ed Brown 7rd that came with my Special Forces Carry (with the exception of it does not say Ed Brown on the side and the Check-mate logo is on the base pad).

Thanks.
Thanks for posting! That's great, they're still the same part number! Load them up and have some fun.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM

Would it be worthwhile to have a sticky post that just explains that X Ed Brown magazine = Y Checkmate magazine? I think we can say with certainty that:

Ed Brown 7 round magazine #847 = Checkmate CM45-7-S-H-CMF
Ed Brown 8 pack magazine #848 = Checkmate CM45-8-S-RB-EXT
Old 05-08-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Would it be worthwhile to have a sticky post that just explains that X Ed Brown magazine = Y Checkmate magazine? I think we can say with certainty that:

Ed Brown 7 round magazine #847 = Checkmate CM45-7-S-H-CMF
Ed Brown 8 pack magazine #848 = Checkmate CM45-8-S-RB-EXT
Yes! Checkmate has so many part numbers and types that it can be confusing.