1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 PM

.22 Conversion - best option for ammo selection

Looking to grab a conversion for my Custom II. Would prefer an option that locks the slide back but will consider others. What is more important is picking one that will shoot the widest variety of ammo and not just the widely preferred CCI mini mags.

Suggestions or just spend the extra $ to feed mini mags?
Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 PM

My thoughts on the ammunition... I feed cheap bulk federal through my Ruger MKIII 22/45 and it does fine.

I recently purchased a custom 10/22 to shoot longer distance and the original owner only shot CCI. I figured there were two ways to look at this.
1) CCI costs twice as much
2) for just a few $$$ more, I could get 5000 rounds of CCI

Considering the cost of higher caliber ammunition, and how cheap .22LR is, I just bought 5000 rounds of CCI. It was the right decision for me.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Kimber specifies what ammo to run in the conversions. We're talking about .22 too! It's cheap. I think I'm paying about $30/500 CCI Mini Mags.

If that's too much, there's always the plastic guns with bright orange tips.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM

My Kimber conversion runs fine on Federal 550 bulk ammo as well as CCI and Winchester Super X.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Mine runs all day on cheap Remington Goldens,just keep it good and wet and break it in thoroughly before buying a boxcar load of ammo.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 PM

I have a Kimber target conversion kit for my Stainless Gold Match II. It was back to Kimber once for not extracting fired casings and they couldn't find much wrong with it. When the condition was unchanged, I called back and they asked what ammo I used. I told them Federal GameShok hunting loads (they are very accurate in my S&W revolvers) with 38-grain copper-plated hollow-points at 1,260fps. The recommended MiniMags are a 36 or 40-grain copper-plated round-nose at the same muzzle velocity, so they said my ammo should be okay and asked that I send my gun and the kit back this time. But before doing that, I bought 100 MiniMags to try.

They worked flawlessly! All I could figure was that the Federals might be loaded with a slower-burning powder for rifle use and the CCIs use a faster-burning powder. When I called to tell them what I had experienced, they were surprised that the Federal ammo would not work and agreed with my theory.

Now I have to try the MiniMags in my Smith & Wesson 617s!

Ed
Old 03-01-2012, 11:14 AM

My Kimber conversion likes CCI Blazers. I tested all major brands including Mini Mags for function and accuracy, and results pointed to the Blazers. I have around 3000 rounds of Blazers down range with zero failures. Cheap ammo too.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
I'd tell you to pry open that wallet, big spender... Cough up a few extra few pennies and buy the Mini Mags.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Looking to grab a conversion for my Custom II. Would prefer an option that locks the slide back but will consider others. What is more important is picking one that will shoot the widest variety of ammo and not just the widely preferred CCI mini mags.

Virtually all manufacturers of conversion units or semi-auto .22 pistols recommend only the use of high velocity ammo. The only exception would be those models which are specifically designed for target shooting like the High Standards.

As long as Kimber recommends CCI mini-mags I'm going to shoot CCI mini-mags.

Kimber Super Match II, Kimber Rimfire Super
Springfield Range Officer, S&W M637

Last edited by ehparis; 03-01-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 AM

With a Kimber .22 conversion on one of my Gold Combat IIs, the ONLY round out of 10-12 brands/types that won't reliably cycle is Remington Sub-Sonics, but I didn't really expect them to. All the WalMart bulk rounds, Winchester, Federal, and Remington, have worked without any problems, as well as all the target velocity rounds I tried, those being Winchester, Federal, and PMC.
As stated earlier, I would try several brands before I bought a large supply. Some have reported problems with standard/target velocity and some brands of hi velocity rounds.
Whatever you find out, it's great fun to shoot.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM

If you take time to read the manual with the .22 Conversion kit & the Rimfire target pistol it specifies hyper velocity .22. If you want to shoot cheap junk the book recommends you install a lighter mainspring. Because my .22 Conversion kit goes on and off my Gov't Model frequently so I can shoot .45 acp & .400 CorBon, I have chosen to use CCI Stinger, rather than the constant assembly and disassembly of the pistol.

As for the Rimfire Target Model, at this time I can't really say. I bought it for my wifes birthday, on the 6th of March, so it hasn't been fired yet.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 PM

I have a Kimber conversion that I have run on Springfield frames.
It will eat anything as long as it's high velocity. It also does not lock back the slide apon empty.
1911forum member #7
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"
General Dwight D. Eisenhower June 6, 1944
Old 03-01-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Looking to grab a conversion for my Custom II. Would prefer an option that locks the slide back but will consider others...
Suggestions???
You'll get 11 opinions from 10 shooters on what's the best ammo to use...

But here's a tip to get the "Lock the Slide Back" feature that you want!

Just load an empty 22 case in the mag first, then load in 9 or 10 rounds. (I have 2 mags, one takes 9 plus the empty, the other takes 10 plus the empty.)

When the empty case tries to feed, there's no bullet to guide it into the chamber so it jams -- and voila', the slide "locks open".

Best part is, the hard steel slide lock is not engaging the soft aluminum slide -- which is why it's not designed to do just that -- so there's no wear on your slide at all. And it's easy to do.

I read this tip here on this site and have probably typed it in 3 or 4 times now, but it works slick.

Tight groups,

Old No7
Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM

I have the AA kit, have run allot of different ammo through it with no problems.. I shoot federal bulk through it all the time now, just ordered another 5000.
The AA kit has the last round hold open..