1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Smith & Wesson

Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 PM

SW1911SC recoil spring

Just picked up a used SW1911SC and it seems like it has a very stiff recoil spring compared to my other 1911s. Could be it's not stock I don't know but it makes it fairly hard to rack the slide. Nature of the beast? Haven't been to shoot it yet.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM

What you may be feeling is increased effort needed to move the slide back to reset the hammer in the E series versus the previous generation of 1911 from Smith & Wesson. There is a very strong hammer spring used in the E series to accommodate the titanium firing pin. As a result it is harder for the slide to reset the hammer, yielding a feel that the recoil spring is stronger - especially as you are coming out of battery and resetting the hammer.

Try racking it with the hammer locked and see if you feel the same way. My E series is steel framed. I wonder if the SC frame contributes to this feel in any way?

As an experiment I have replaced my recoil spring with a 16 lb one, an 18 lb one and an 18.5 lb variable rate one. All worked fine with FMJ ammo and with none of them did the slide feel easier to rack.

Brownells sells a wide range of springs for your experimentation. I'm sticking with the 18lb spring in mine as it functions great.

I also played around with the hammer spring, trying a lower weight one and then replacing it with the stock one. I did not like the results of the "pencil test" with the weaker one and feared that my reliability might suffer if I used a lighter one. Note that I tested the lighter one with 200 rounds of various ammo with no misfires.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 PM

You might be right, I cocked it and that makes it feel a lot lighter. Most my other 1911s are either 9mm or officer sized (2 stage spring) or both which is a factor too I'm sure. Feel better about it now. Should get to shoot it tomorrow and see how it goes. Do you know what the stock spring is? 18 lb.? Did the slide cycle any easier with the lighter hammer spring? Did that make the trigger pull lighter too?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM

The trigger pull is fine with either spring in place. I'm sure the pull was different with the lighter spring but I do not have a scale handy to measure it. Based on the pencil test I decided that I would put the original spring back in for the sake of reliability. The trigger is very nice with either spring in place and I shot the gun with equal accuracy.

I cannot accurately recall if the slide racked more easily or not with the light spring. I would guess that it did but my notes are focused more on the pencil test results than on how the slide felt. Also, I don't know the stock mainspring rating. If I get motivated tonight I'll count turns and measure the wire so you have a baseline.

Regarding trigger pulls: I would take a heavier smooth and crisp pull over a light and gritty pull any day of the week, but that is just me.

If there are things about your current gun that you do not like, have you spoken with the S&W folks about it? In my experience they are eager to make their customers happy.

Last edited by Stackofhay; 02-28-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Just got it. I don't mind the trigger feel but I haven't shot it yet. The only thing I have found was the hard to rack from battery slide action, just felt way harder than anything else I have and harder than most others I have looked at. It seams that you were right about the hammer making it fell that way. I will find out tonight how in love I am as I am headed to the range. I have no reason to think it won't be a great gun.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 PM

Just home from the shooting range. Gun shoots nice. A little more muzzle flip than I'm used to but manageable. Seems to eat what it's fed with no complaint with the factory mag and a cheap gun show mag I had laying around since I sold my Rock Island. Put enough rounds through it to feel comfy carrying it. I like the low weight for carry. It's a keeper. :-)