Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Legal & Political News

Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 PM

Petty Theft Becomes Felony Robbery for CCW Permit Holder

http://fox8.com/2012/02/23/petty-the...or-ccw-holder/
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Well, he won't be CCW anymore.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:29 AM

I believe that I posted something along these lines a little while ago..... There should be a distinction between "having" and "using" at the time of the incident..... Felony jaywalking comes to mind......

Dan
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 AM

He is a dishonest man, I give him credit for not using his gun to threaten the officer who detained him. However, he was in possession of a gun while committing a crime and should be held more accountable, only the ATF is allowed with such privileges.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 AM

IMHO, his CPL should be revoked permanently. Unfortunately, every once in a while we hear about these completely irresponsible acts committed by supposedly responsible CCW people.

We'll never know, but if he wasn't caught this time, would his confidence have been built? Would he have escalated his crime sprees? Would he eventually have used his carry gun in the commission of a crime?

The Loss Prevention Officer was extremely fortunate that his confrontation with this individual did not take a turn for the worse. I'm glad he wasn't hurt.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:37 AM

Yep. He should lose his permit. Period.

But what is the difference in this theft. And this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_1299002.html
The American people will never knowingly adopt a Police Sate, but under the name of security and Police Officer safety they will adopt every fragment of a Police State until one day America will be a Police State without ever knowing how it happened.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
I believe that I posted something along these lines a little while ago..... There should be a distinction between "having" and "using" at the time of the incident..... Felony jaywalking comes to mind......
There aren't specific laws for jaywalking while in possession of a weapon - or felony jaywalking. There are laws, however, that specifically differentiate criminal acts as armed or unarmed. Imagine the weakness in the debate of inserting "possession and actual use" instead of just possession. It's as if you can carry during a crime with a choice to illegally use or not use. There could be three layers to the law as well, but that odd choice remains.

Distinction is for bold prosecutors and juries.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 AM

Got what he deserved. Period. Hope they lock him up.

Last edited by thearmedrebel; 02-25-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: language
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey dust View Post

The difference: Food is not jewelry from a department store?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 AM

Proof that having a CCW permit does not make someone any smarter.
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. Romans 12:18
Old 02-25-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBA View Post
Theft is theft. The item stolen is not the issue. Theft of a item is. And if carrying a firearm when stealing makes it a felony, then it should be applied to all.

Again. Repeat after me. "Theft is theft". It doesn't matter what you steal. It's still theft. And if a CCW holder is a thief, we can't trust him to carry a firearm. If a cop is a thief, we can't trust him to carry a firearm or wear a badge. Period.

From the article:
"Deer Park police Officer Kevin Yang was charged with misdemeanor theft and suspended for 30 days without pay. Deer Park Police Chief Greg Griggs tells KTRK-TV of Houston that a class C misdemeanor conviction would not keep Yang from returning to duty."

There is a screen grab. The cop was armed when he stole the items. Yet he gets to stay a cop and keep his rights to carry a gun. No added felony.
The American people will never knowingly adopt a Police Sate, but under the name of security and Police Officer safety they will adopt every fragment of a Police State until one day America will be a Police State without ever knowing how it happened.

Last edited by monkey dust; 02-25-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 PM

Sort of conundrum that the officer's crime seems to be less severe but actually thinking about it is much worst, he stole from those who should trust him with their lives.

Last edited by sechott; 02-25-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 AM

Quote:

So the police officer should be charged with felony theft as well. (He's in uniform, I'm assuming that he has his duty weapon on him as well.....) But he isn't, he's being suspended for 30 days, charged with a misdemeanor, and allowed to return to work where he CARRIES A GUN.

Dan
Old 02-26-2012, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA45 View Post
There aren't specific laws for jaywalking while in possession of a weapon - or felony jaywalking. There are laws, however, that specifically differentiate criminal acts as armed or unarmed. Imagine the weakness in the debate of inserting "possession and actual use" instead of just possession. It's as if you can carry during a crime with a choice to illegally use or not use. There could be three layers to the law as well, but that odd choice remains.

Distinction is for bold prosecutors and juries.
Your last line was my point, where an aggressive prosecutor very well could take the tack of "you broke the law (by jaywalking) and it's a felony count because you were armed at the time" (narrow technical definition if you break ANY law while armed, it's an armed felony) I admit, I'm playing devil's advocate here, but remember, you can be charged (and convicted) with a weapons charge even if you don't have one (bank robbery with a note stating you have a gun, for instance.) BTW, I happen to agree with the sentiment that the guy's an idiot......

Dan
Old 02-26-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBA View Post
But if you stole food from a grocery store you'd be charged the same as the jewelry (given that the worth is still "petty")

Dan
Old 02-26-2012, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Theft is theft. The item stolen is not the issue. Theft of a item is. And if carrying a firearm when stealing makes it a felony, then it should be applied to all.

Again. Repeat after me. "Theft is theft". It doesn't matter what you steal. It's still theft. And if a CCW holder is a thief, we can't trust him to carry a firearm. If a cop is a thief, we can't trust him to carry a firearm or wear a badge. Period.

From the article:
"Deer Park police Officer Kevin Yang was charged with misdemeanor theft and suspended for 30 days without pay. Deer Park Police Chief Greg Griggs tells KTRK-TV of Houston that a class C misdemeanor conviction would not keep Yang from returning to duty."

There is a screen grab. The cop was armed when he stole the items. Yet he gets to stay a cop and keep his rights to carry a gun. No added felony.
Aha, couldn't tell the tone from your earlier post.... Something else to consider though, until not too long ago, a convicted murderer could legally buy, own, and carry firearms after their sentence was over......

Dan
Old 02-26-2012, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swiftfn View Post
Aha, couldn't tell the tone from your earlier post.... Something else to consider though, until not too long ago, a convicted murderer could legally buy, own, and carry firearms after their sentence was over......

Dan
Let the cop own a gun, after his sentence is up. But let him no where near a badge. With that lack if integrity, he doesn't need to be a cop. ever. If he will steal from fellow cops. Think what he would do to non badge wearing citizens.

Back to the topic. The CCW holder should lose his permit. Theft is theft. What he did shows a serious lack of judgement.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:

From the article:

Big difference here! In this case, they didn't want to alienate the "Yang" community!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 AM

People sometimes do stupid things on the spur of the moment--how many times have we heard of celebrities who shoplift when they clearly do not need to, apparently for the "thrill". While I personally can not see it, I also can not see society shelling out major $ to incarcerate somebody for shoplifting because he happened to have a ccw. Yes, it was stupid, but I think one of the major problems with society these days it turning everything into a "federal case". Give it the Andy Taylor test, would he be locking somebody up for 8 years for shoplifting? Last time I heard some huge percentage of our legislators had worse crimes than that on their sheets and they are making those new harsh laws. The hypocrisy sickens me. Sort of like Ted kennedy passing a law on...pretty much anything.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechott View Post
He is a dishonest man, I give him credit for not using his gun to threaten the officer who detained him. However, he was in possession of a gun while committing a crime and should be held more accountable, only the ATF is allowed with such privileges.

Now that's funny I don't care who you are.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 AM

You can't fix stupid, but you can limit its application on society for a few years.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Young II knew the rules when he got his CCW. He chose to break the rules so he needs to pay the consequences.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinks View Post
Young II knew the rules when he got his CCW. He chose to break the rules so he needs to pay the consequences.
the cop new the rules, pretty sure theft was covered at the academy, what does he deserve?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Lt Tim Allen boosted the charge with more power ARRRRRG

But the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM

I agree with the charge being increased. Ignore that he had a CCW for a moment. He committed a criminal act with a deadly weapon in his possession. Who is to say that he wouldn't have pulled it at some point if he felt the need to complete the theft more expeditiously. His willingness to commit a crime certainly doesn't bode well for him respecting boundaries regarding actions.