1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 02-18-2012, 12:22 AM

LAR Grizzly

Hey...
Is there anybody on board that owns one of these? I really thought that I would be able to find more information on line but must be searching using the wrong terms. LOL!
I down loaded a manual for the Mark 1, which is what is stamped onto the slide but it doesn't show anything like the porting that my pistol has attached to the front of the slide.
There must be some way of removing this so that the barrel can be removed from the slide for cleaning. I don't know when this was last fired or even last cleaned.

And help would be apprecated!

Glen
Old 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM

http://www.largrizzly.com/web/guest/winmag
Old 02-18-2012, 02:00 PM

The porting as I remember is either part of the barrel or part of the barrel bushing. Take down should be like any 1911. if it's part of the barrel bushing turn it using the side of the port. This will move it as it is the bushing.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:11 PM

I own one it is a non comp model though.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the link...but it's the one I had found. It discribes removing the bushing just like any 1911. I do believe that the comp is part of the bushing but I don't believe that it has ever been removed. I don't like forcing things and this thing will take some force to remove.
Anyone with personal experiance with this model? Is it typical to be as tight as this one appears?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:27 PM

wish they would make em again,great gun.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 PM

Well I ended up padding the bushing/compensator and using a wrench and it turned the directions the manual says. I've got to say that this pistol seems to be put together using very close tolerances.
I hope the weather holds and I get the chance to get to the range.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 AM

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Sorry for the late reply. I will tell you this though I have a Grizzly and it is a glorius thing to behold when shooting, although expensive.

If you ever run into another issue like the one you had with it being stuck this is how I solve it with any heavly used under cleaned gun I have purchased or work on. Go to Harbor Freight and buy one of the ultrasonic cleaners.

Fill about half way with water and have several different containers you can use different solvents in. I have one for simple green another for a TSP solution I use for heavy degreasing and cleaning. Also others that I use with Kroil. It is also advisable and works for me, that after a heavy degreasing you put the parts in a dedicated container of your favorite gun lube and run it for several minutes. Then just remove let drip back into container and rub down with a lint free cloth to remove the excess.

This makes for a great way to penetrate lube a gun after a new finish is applied. Especially if you parkerize it.

The nice thing about using seperate containers in the water is you won't nasty up your ultra sonic by using the solvents and oils directly in it.

Sorry for the long reply but it just kind of spilled out.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:43 PM

I own two of them, a 6.5" and a 10". The base pistols are .45 Winchester Magnum and I have conversion kits in .357 Magnum, 10mm, and .45ACP for the 6.5" and conversion kits in 10mm, .45ACP, and 357/45 Grizzly Winchester Magnum for the 10" (357/45 GWM is basically a .45WM case necked down to .357). I love these pistols.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:44 PM

Beautiful!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45WinMag View Post
I own two of them, a 6.5" and a 10". The base pistols are .45 Winchester Magnum and I have conversion kits in .357 Magnum, 10mm, and .45ACP for the 6.5" and conversion kits in 10mm, .45ACP, and 357/45 Grizzly Winchester Magnum for the 10" (357/45 GWM is basically a .45WM case necked down to .357). I love these pistols.

That long slide is a beautiful gun. I have a standard Mark I in .45 winmag and it is my favorite gun to shoot. Not th echeapest though.