1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Colt Commander Wilson Combat - pass

I'm in the market for a new 3" 1911. I was at a LGS looking at used guns when I saw this Colt commander with the Wilson Combat stamp. The LGS started telling me how rare these guns are and how good a buy this was. The Wilson Combat stamp caught my attention so I gave it a fondle. Gun felt nice, no rattle at all. I didn't like the sights which the LGS says, everyone changes the sights to fit their needs.. I was still somewhat interested until I pulled the trigger. WOW it must have been like 7lbs.. I looked at the guy with the "What's up with that" look on my face. He gives it a try and I could see where he thought it would break but it didn't. I said, see that's a really hard trigger. He said the gun must be dirty.. WHAT? Then he says it's a Wilson Combat. They were built for Combat so they wouldn't have a lite trigger. WHAT???
I decided to walk BUT the gun is still stuck in my head. Is it really a rare or collectable gun? Would Wilson really build a gun with such a heavy trigger pull or did bubba find his way into this gun?
Gun was in the $1,100 range.
Dan Wesson ECO; Dan Wesson matte SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, Ruger 22/45; Hornady LnL Progressive
Old 02-10-2012, 06:53 PM

If Wilson does enough on a customer-supplied Colt or whatever, Wilson will put their "bug" on it. I would expect Wilsons quantification of "enough" to include decent trigger work, although I don't know that for a fact. In any case, who knows who handled or Bubba'd the gun after it left Wilson.

Over in the collectors forum, they say-"buy the gun, not the story".
Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Several things may be factors.

1. The guy that had the work done asked for a heavy trigger.
2, After getting the gun from Wilson, the previous owner may have done some home gunsmithing on it to change the trigger.

I wouldn't assume it's a mistake on Wilson's part, they're really good with triggers. Both of my Wilsons have the best triggers of the six 1911's that I own. Triggers are easy to fix. Send it to Wilson and ask for the trigger pull you'd like and they'll fix it.

If you like the gun, I certainly wouldn't"walk" because of something as simple as the trigger pull.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 PM

I looked at that gun a few times and I'm not sure what to make of it. I didn't think the trigger was 7lbs but I also didn't think it was fantastic. I don't know who you spoke to at the store but some of the employees are much better than others. At the end of the day if it was a truly incredible deal I think one of the employees would have picked it up before it hit the shelf. Note - I think we are talking about the same gun. Did the one you looked at have Wilson Combat Service Grade Stamped under the slide?

Last edited by XFIT; 02-10-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:48 PM

People can specify whatever pull they like. Its not hard to get one in the 3-4 pound range with our parts. On the other hand, maybe someone messed with it over the past almost 15 years?

Last edited by WilsonCombatRep; 02-11-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
....I wouldn't assume it's a mistake on Wilson's part, they're really good with triggers....

If you like the gun, I certainly wouldn't"walk" because of something as simple as the trigger pull.
Never said the heavy trigger was a "mistake". I just never thought that someone could have actually asked for a trigger with such a heavy pull but that's possible. If the guy would have said that he would have gained some credibility. Saying the gun must be dirty was just lame.

XFIT- I agree. With the number of guys working in that store if it was really a good deal it would have been gone. I didn't remove the slide. Wilson stamp was on the left forward section of the slide. Might have been on the right side too but don't recall. They had another Colt commander next to it in the case. Nothing special but that gun rattled like nails in a tin can. Seemed really worn in.. This gun felt solid and looked really clean. No rattles at all. But new sites and a new trigger job were a must do. That on top of their asking price was a bit much. At least I think it would be. Any idea what a trigger job and night sites from Wilson's would cost? I went over and played with a new Kimber CDP. It was the same price that they were asking for this Colt and I didn't need to change anything. But then you don't get the collectability of the Colt/Wilson Combat. Also, Colt stands behind their guns for life BUT in this case it's been modified by Wilson so any work that needs to be done goes back to Wilson.. right? Not that that's a bad thing.. just a thing. Colt factory is in driving distance for me..
Dan Wesson ECO; Dan Wesson matte SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, Ruger 22/45; Hornady LnL Progressive