1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 02-06-2012, 09:05 AM

Police: Man shoots self in leg at gun show

Police: Man shoots self in leg at gun show

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Authorities say a Georgia man is recovering after accidentally shooting himself in the leg at a Savannah gun show.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46280351...ews-weird_news

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 AM

I guess an example of inexperience.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 AM

To be fair we don't know why the gun discharged. Many years back I recovered a gun that had been stolen. While chambering a round the gun fired by itself. Apparently the person that had it had modified the gun. Luckly I had the sence to point it in a safe direction.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM

I picked up a compact Star in 9mm at a gunshow at a table, went to clear it, dropped the mag, it was stoked with HPs, racked the slide back and a round was in the chamber. The seller hurried over and was shocked to realize that he'd never bothered to clear his old carry piece before putting it up for sale...the sad part was four other people fingered it before I did and I was just checking it out of habit. Reminded me why I treat all guns as if they were already loaded. Something like this or worse could have gone down. Not the first person to do this at a gunshow, sadly it won't be the last.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 AM

I would venture the guess that he was not "re-loading" but rather "re-holstering" his "safety-trigger" firearm.
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.” Romans 12:18
Old 02-06-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Dave View Post
I would venture the guess that he was not "re-loading" but rather "re-holstering" his "safety-trigger" firearm.
I see what you did there!
To me, Glock's "Safety Action Trigger" makes about as much sense as putting a car's emergency brake underneath the gas pedal.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sechott View Post
i guess an example of inexperience.
+1
Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodadek View Post
I picked up a compact Star in 9mm at a gunshow at a table, went to clear it, dropped the mag, it was stoked with HPs, racked the slide back and a round was in the chamber. The seller hurried over and was shocked to realize that he'd never bothered to clear his old carry piece before putting it up for sale...the sad part was four other people fingered it before I did and I was just checking it out of habit. Reminded me why I treat all guns as if they were already loaded. Something like this or worse could have gone down. Not the first person to do this at a gunshow, sadly it won't be the last.
Well stated Kodadek. The ONLY weapon I deam safe is the one I personally checked and cleared, and even then, I treat it as a loaded weapon.

With firearms, Mr. Murphy is ALWAYS lurking, just waiting for ONE SECOND of carelessness.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM

Just goes to show, anything can happen when you're not paying attention. You have GOT to be careful if you are planning on carrying everyday.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 PM

Story must be bogus, as it was reported that the firearm in question was a 1911.

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
Story must be bogus, as it was reported that the firearm in question was a 1911.

I figured you'd call "bollocks" on the story just because it supposedly happened in Georgia, Walter.
"If you decide to carry a pistol, you will have to dress around it, not just try to fit it into your wardobe"---BillD, 03/06/07 @ 09:42 e.s.t.

MINO: 'Money Is No Object'. Feel free to steal that one, everybody!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:41 PM

California, understandable, but not here in the great state of Georgia!!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM

I will also venture to ask this.

How many of us would have trotted out to the parking lot and loaded a firearm we had just purchased. I don't think that I have ever loaded any new firearm until I got to the range for a thorough clean, lube and testing session.

This guy might have worked pretty hard to shoot himself...

Is there is the MOST REMOTE possibility that Walter could be right?

P.S. Calling ANYTHING "safe" or "safety" causes idiots and small children to learn new ways to hurt themselves with it because they forego the use of basic common sense.
"If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.” Romans 12:18

Last edited by Red Dirt Dave; 02-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dirt Dave View Post
I will also venture to ask this.

How many of us would have trotted out to the parking lot and loaded a firearm we had just purchased. I don't think that I have ever loaded any new firearm until I got to the range for a thorough clean, lube and testing session.

This guy might have worked pretty hard to shoot himself...

Is there is the MOST REMOTE possibility that Walter could be right?

P.S. Calling ANYTHING "safe" or "safety" causes idiots and small children to learn new ways to hurt themselves with it because they forego the use of basic common sense.
You might have hit the nail right on the head. I've never purchased a gun, new or used, headed out the door, hopped into my car, and then loaded for bear..still, the gun "handling" I've seen at gunshows often scares the everloving crap out of me.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:57 AM
Banned

...and yet there are some fanatics who think it's a good idea to allow people to carry CCW's at gun shows...
Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM

The person posted on his facebook page that the gun was a Springfield, he even posted a picture of his wound. He works as a bouncer at a strip club. In other words, he's a genius .
Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky T View Post
The person posted on his facebook page that the gun was a Springfield, he even posted a picture of his wound. He works as a bouncer at a strip club. In other words, he's a genius .
He's probably a genius who recently moved to GA from KA!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 AM

1. This happened in the parking lot, not at the show itself, as the media loves to angle it.

2. There are a lot of new CCW folks out there who are excited to get their first gun and carry for the first time. It's doesn't seem at all strange to me that someone might want to load it and wear it from the parking lot.

3. I've seen a great many stories of "more experienced" people who have had a ND.

4. There really need to be more gun people interested in helping train the thousands of new CCW-holders out there, rather than laughing at them when a potentially deadly accident happens.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
1. This happened in the parking lot, not at the show itself, as the media loves to angle it.

2. There are a lot of new CCW folks out there who are excited to get their first gun and carry for the first time. It's doesn't seem at all strange to me that someone might want to load it and wear it from the parking lot.

3. I've seen a great many stories of "more experienced" people who have had a ND.

4. There really need to be more gun people interested in helping train the thousands of new CCW-holders out there, rather than laughing at them when a potentially deadly accident happens.

Could we laugh a little first?
I'd clean more if the spray bottle made a laser noise.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlackGT View Post
Could we laugh a little first?

I really don't think it's fair to make fun of the man for purchasing a Springfield. There are many satisfied Springfield owners out there.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron45 View Post
...and yet there are some fanatics who think it's a good idea to allow people to carry CCW's at gun shows...
Yeah, those are the same kind of fanatics who think it's a good idea to allow people to carry CCW's at restaurants, in malls, in department stores, etc.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baccusboy View Post
...rather than laughing at them when a potentially deadly accident happens.
For some who tend to get "excited", the pain of being laughed at is a stronger motivator than the pain of the wound from their negligent discharge.

"bouncer at a strip club..." Probably breaks all three Stupid Rules on a daily basis. Bet you that he is arrogant and anosognosic too.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Well, he'd better learn how to handle the weapon in the parking lot. The strip clubs back where I am from don't serve alcohol (usually) and serve juice instead, so they can be full nude. Yet these establishments also post signs that no guns are allowed.

I guess they figure that guns and juice don't mix.

So this bouncer had better learn how to load/unload his weapon in a parking lot, because he probably won't be able to wear it in to "work."
Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 AM

The bouncers in Georgia don't carry guns on the job.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Hope 'the bouncer' learns how to use his new weapon better, before someone takes it away from him and uses it against him.