1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 03-13-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R A Freeman View Post
To WCR I highly appreciate that you said above about some other gun builders and that you are allowed to say it. I personally hate when one states they are the best and only one they can do something. Its kinda like what's going on with our Republicans boys. Not that I know of a better builder...I'm sure there are others that do a great job. However...I'm proud of my 45 and 9mm and do not need to search for another.
Richard

Thanks for noticing. There are some amazing craftsmen out there. Rogers, Rodgers, Ned Christiansen, CT Brian, Jason Burton, Ted Yost, Jim Garthwaite.
I don't want to leave anyone out. We do great work-That is a fact-I am very proud of our guns but there are other shops that I am very proud to recommend when customers are looking for something different.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:39 PM

Let's not forget Springfield Armory! The Professional is a mighty fine gun! The TRP's aren't that shabby either for a production gun.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:48 PM

I just got my rogers pistol in, and I'll post some of the differences compared to one of my supergrades.

But then again, a 4k pistol to ones that are well over 7-9k now......

If I could get Chuck to produce more, I'd buy them. In the mean time, I'll stick with Wilson.

I wish I still had photos of my nighthawks; they had blatant machining errors and tool marks left in them. I thought maybe I had gotten a bad one that slipped through, but it was the same on numbers 2 and 3. They've since been sold off.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM

Sure other builders make great guns

My money goes to Wilson though.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 AM

I agree with the comments above that there are a number of very good shops out there that make fine 1911’s. It is a lot like Ford vs Chevy and how much you want to spend. However that being said, I do have another Wilson on order. The decision to make my next purchase another Wilson was based on their customer service and the ability to order what I want the way I wanted it.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sante View Post
I just got my rogers pistol in, and I'll post some of the differences compared to one of my supergrades.

But then again, a 4k pistol to ones that are well over 7-9k now......

If I could get Chuck to produce more, I'd buy them. In the mean time, I'll stick with Wilson.

I wish I still had photos of my nighthawks; they had blatant machining errors and tool marks left in them. I thought maybe I had gotten a bad one that slipped through, but it was the same on numbers 2 and 3. They've since been sold off.
I really look forward to this review Sante, thanks.

Last edited by corvette4595; 04-27-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM

I have had the opportunity to own a Les Baer, Wilson and Night Hawk. that being said...the quality and customer service with Nighthawk was superb...my wilson is great too....although I had cosmetic problems on the frame that i had to dicker with -back and forth before a fix. My night hawk had sight problems...hit really low at 25 yds...they asked me to shoot abullseye target and send it with the slide...it came back...spot on...they paid for the original shipping as well as the second retu\rn shipping and it was spot on....will let you know how Guncrafters treats me

On the Eighth day God said... " crap I forgot....LET THERE BE 1911s"
Old 04-27-2012, 01:06 PM

I tried another builder's pistols and found trigger to be unsuitable(for me). Went to Wilson Combat, met Scott and Jason. They let me handle and operate several pistols, including the triggers. What a difference. Triggers very smooth with no drag or hesitation. I ordered a CQB. Had a great visit at WC. Very nice and helpful. Thanks Scott and Jason for spending time with me. Excellent customer service.

Just my $0.02.

God bless.

Jesse
Old 04-27-2012, 01:43 PM

Wilson is my top pick. The next choice for me is Springfield Armory Custom Shop and Les Baer
Old 05-12-2012, 10:57 PM

Some of the makers mentioned elongate the lower link pin hole to simplify making a gun that locks up very tight in battery but has enough slop due to the elongation to save time fitting the recoiling barrel frame rests.
That is a marginally well made gun to me. I prefer, and pay for, the fully fit barrel. For me that is the Wilson. panurge