1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM

Getting a conversion upper to run on bulk 22

I have a conversion kit.It will run a few and jam,sometimes running a mag out but rarely.It runs 100% on CCI minimags but that ain't what I bought it for.Does anyone have any mods to get them running on bulk ammo better? FTF/ FTE both.Marvel kit.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:44 PM

My Marvel unit runs fine with Federal AutoMatch bulk pack and/or Federal
550 HV Copper Coated bulk pack, both from Walmart. I use the poly mags from AA. No mods to the upper ormthe magazines.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Mine runs ok on 36gr Federal Champion
The key for me seems to be running the slide very wet, no grease, just lots of oil. And after about 200 rounds wipe down the slide rails to remove any gunk and oil it again!
but become round nose after I color with them.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:23 AM

Clean wet with a miracle lube and well broken in. For modifications reduce power mainspring and just the opposite of a flat bottom firing pin stop - I have no idea about modifying the Marvel slide but in the Service Ace and such a very rounded firing pin stop and a hammer modified to give the slide a long running start and so reduce cocking effort has been effective.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:59 AM

What kit do you have? The Advantage kit even works with Remington gold tip junk.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 PM

As long as I keep my conversion kit (ciener) wet with oil preferably a nice thin oil it wil run federal, and winchester bulk all day long. I am working on getting More Bi-Tron penetrating oil that works really well for my conversion kit.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:41 PM

It's a Wilson (Marvel) on a Wilson Classic.I think I have the 18# stock.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:18 AM

I can't speak to the Marvel unit, but to get my Kimber Rimfire Conversion to run cheap bulk ammo I had to change out the mainspring from the stock 23# spring to a 16# spring.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 AM

I've got a couple of different conversions and the only bulk ammo that runs consistently is CCI Blazer
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 AM

Try remington thunderbolt. It's cheaper than cci, and accurate in all my 22s. I have the kimber kit. Federal target bulk is good too. Use a light oil on the slide. I use remoil
the best thing about a browning citori is you can take a ragged old reload, hammer it into the barrel, call "pull," break the clay, pull out a piece of brass with a jagged edge of plastic, check the the barrel, and repeat.
http://daileywoodworks.com/ - Woodworking, Shooting, and Life in General.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Administrator

My Advantage Arms unit runs just fine on the CCI Blazer I usually feed it. But then again even CCI's cheap Blazer line is better quality than many other brands of so-called premium .22 ammo.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 AM

Mine has to be very wet,but it will run most of the bulk junk when it is.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 AM

My AA unit has run flawlessly for over 1000 rounds. I only use 40gr high velocity - many brands.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:17 AM

My Colt Ace conversion ran fine with the cheap stuff. I used CLP Breakfree and could usually get 800 to 1,000 rds before cleaning.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 AM

I have a Kimber conversion & had a Kimber 22 pistol. I didn't care for the dedicated pistol, too light, but both worked fine with pretty much anything I used in them. Some loads were dirtier than others, & the pistols get pretty dirty after a couple hundred rounds. Federal bulk packs work fine in both, though.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM

I have a Kimber .22 conversion slide. Mine runs great on Blazer and of course the high priced CCI. I had swapped out the ILS in my Springer and replaced the Springfield's mainspring with a 19# unit and I think that helped it digest the less expensive stuff. The lighter the mainspring the less resistance to slide movement. I even ran some Remington Thunderbolt through it and no stoppages. The conversion is surprisingly accurate too. I have had not trouble with light primer strikes on .45 ammo either.

Vike
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM

My Colt Service Ace Conversion kit runs on any bulk ammo I feed it -- except Remington, which seems to be made on the theory that priming isn't needed.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM

My Colt Ace (gun, not conversion) does well enough on bulk pack Federal plated hollowpoint.

Remington Thunderbolt was the worst I ever dealt with, uneven operation and a leaded bore.