1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM

series 70 vs series 80 1911

Not fully undestanding the actual difference between a series 70 and series 80 1911 . I would like to know if #1 can a series 80 be converted and #2 would I want to do this conversion and why.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:58 PM

The fundamental difference is the firing pin block in the 80 Series.
(1) it can be removed relatively easily but (2) not sure why you'd want to for the minimal if any benefit(s).
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 PM

Thank you i have heard so many rumors about the series 80 having more parts to fail . I have both types . Older colts and an ED Brown as well as kimbers and series 80 colt gold cups . They all seem to fire and fuction well the only difference i can see is the small plunger in the series 80 slides . I was curious as to the origin of the rumors about series 70 being better and why.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM

The Series 80 "system"'comprises a plunger, spring, and lever as extra parts.
Some allege that the extra parts complicate obtaining a quality trigger pull, while others allege that this is hooey and the Series 80 trigger can be just as acceptable as one without the block.

There's no question that the fp block offers protection from an AD following a dropped pistol. Other manufacturers provide similar but not as total protection, with light firing pins and heavy fp return springs, while others ignore the whole issue. So--take your pick.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Call it a lot of whining by 1911 purists. Some folks may prefer the S70 because the mechanism is simpler, but there is nothing wrong with the S80 system.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM

Thank You Guys .
Old 01-24-2012, 08:58 PM

IMO the 80 is a fix for a problem that never existed.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:26 PM

Please read this thread http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

It will answer a lot if not all your questions about 70 vs 80, there's more that just the swarts.

Exodus 22:2
COTEP 439
Old 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM

It was just a year or so ago dead set against the series eighty, then I shot a slightly older ISPC tuned 80's series Commander and it shot as well as the owners 70's series Combat Commande that he used as a backup. Yeah, I think the 80's series was far from a gigantic revoltion in the 1911 world but it isn't the bitter end of the line and I've even been looking at a Remington R1 now.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 01-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustrtal View Post
IMO the 80 is a fix for a problem that never existed.
I tend to agree, i'm not so sure that the FPB wasn't just another successfull move by the anti gunners to drive up the cost of manufacturing guns.

Patrick Sweeneys' Book of the 1911, describes a test conducted by he and Ned Christiansen where they drop a 1911 muzzle first on concrete from over 8 feet without so much as a dented primer.

My series 80 Colt Commander trigger is much better after removing the FPB. I did other things to it as well so the FPB removal did not account for all of the improvement, but i'm sure it helped.

COTEP

DW CCO, CBob
Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 PM

"Patrick Sweeneys' Book of the 1911, describes a test conducted by he and Ned Christiansen where they drop a 1911 muzzle first on concrete from over 8 feet without so much as a dented primer."

Don't know what Sweeny did or didn't do, but the data presented here would seem to contradict his conclusion(s).

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads...23#Post92823ww
Old 01-25-2012, 02:17 PM
Administrator

A 1911 lacking a FPS can discharge if dropped, but it normally requires a lot of force and also impacting at just the right angle. If the FP spring is worn it can happen a lot more easily, which is why the Army documented a lot of discharges from dropped pistols. I've bought vintage pistols where the spring was completely collapsed, including the last one (a Sistema) I bought just recently. Had that pistol been loaded and dropped on a hard surface I'm sure it would've discharged in the condition I found it in. That's why I always put Wolff extra-power FP springs in all of my shooters. With a Series 80 an extra-power spring isn't normally necessary, as long as the FPS system itself is working properly.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.