1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Remington

Old 05-23-2012, 07:46 AM

I have been really considering purchasing 2 of these guns. One in Stainless and another in blued. After reading through this thread I'm reconsidering. I can't believe there are so many issues with new guns from one of the biggest manufacturers in the country. It is totally inexcusable. Who heads up Q.C. over there, Mr. MaGoo?
Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 AM

there can easily be issues with ALL production guns, not just rem r1's. it's the nature of the assembly line. i wouldn't hesitate a second to buy yet another r1. the key to any gun purchase is to thoroughly inspect it - or have it inspected - before plunking down yer dollars. it's really that simple. ymmv, but it shouldn't!

Last edited by rfd; 05-23-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
there can easily be issues with ALL production guns, not just rem r1's. it's the nature of the assembly line. i wouldn't hesitate a second to buy yet another r1. the key to any gun purchase is to thoroughly inspect it - or have it inspected - before plunking down yer dollars.
While I agree with the fact that any gun can have issues, there seems to be an ever alarming amount with these new Remington's. One only has to go through threads on these guns to see it. Not only on this forum either. And while a visual inspection is always good and wise, it does not compensate for a lengthy range session. There is where most of the problems usually show up. When they do it's too late, forcing you to deal with Remington's less than stellar customer service....Over and over.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 AM

I recently sent my R1 for the platinum service and am very satisfied with the results. I had 5 ftf in the last 500 rounds I shot through it. I sent it in and they polished the feed ramp and a new slide stop. I ran 50 rounds through it with no problems. I was satisfied with their CS too and had a good conversation with the rep. Come to find out he was from the same state as me. I plan on running another 50-100 rounds this weekend. Though I am not a 1911 expert by no means I am very satisfied with the pistol. So much I am going to carry it as a duty weapon.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:16 PM

Remington 1911

I have also read the problems posted on this site, but have to wonder how many happy owners that don't post. I purchased a Stainless R1 and I couldn't be happer with it, I would rate the Remington 1911 with the Kimbers and Springfields. I just couldn't be more pleased with this gun. If I didn't read this post I wouldn't have though to post how happy I am. I did have an issue with the gun shooting low, called Remington and they sent me a low front sight. No complaints Here!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:47 PM

I have to agree, with all due respect to those who had or are having problems, that the Stainless R1 is one heck of a pistol for the money. I've had no issues whatsoever.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 AM

It's good to hear some positive feedback on this weapon.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfd View Post
there can easily be issues with ALL production guns, not just rem r1's. it's the nature of the assembly line. i wouldn't hesitate a second to buy yet another r1. the key to any gun purchase is to thoroughly inspect it - or have it inspected - before plunking down yer dollars. it's really that simple. ymmv, but it shouldn't!
Your theory may avoid most issues, but it certainly won't help avoid all. Most gun shops do not allow you to field strip the Pistol.

I had a problem with my R1 that didn't surface immediately. After firing 50 rounds I noticed a scratch on the right dustcover caused by excessive metal on the inside of the receiver. The Gun looked perfect when I bought it.

Returned it to Remington and one week later it was back. Opened the box and my heart sank to the floor. The scratch was still untouched on the right dustcover. Now how the Hell do you miss something so obvious especially when I informed them of all problems.

Sent the gun back and because of more serious problems they replaced it. The new gun in many ways is worse than the original gun. It is extremely loose and sloppy. Had enough Cosmoline to cover a half dozen guns, and the barrel was a sloppy mess.

I would say Remington has a Quality control issue.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:29 PM

r3drang3r,
How well (or not) does the replacement pistol shoot?
Regards,
Greg
Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 PM

no problems here just some ftfs but my pistol was picky on the ammo 100% now
Old 05-26-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3drang3r View Post
Your theory may avoid most issues, but it certainly won't help avoid all. Most gun shops do not allow you to field strip the Pistol.

I had a problem with my R1 that didn't surface immediately. After firing 50 rounds I noticed a scratch on the right dustcover caused by excessive metal on the inside of the receiver. The Gun looked perfect when I bought it.

Returned it to Remington and one week later it was back. Opened the box and my heart sank to the floor. The scratch was still untouched on the right dustcover. Now how the Hell do you miss something so obvious especially when I informed them of all problems.

Sent the gun back and because of more serious problems they replaced it. The new gun in many ways is worse than the original gun. It is extremely loose and sloppy. Had enough Cosmoline to cover a half dozen guns, and the barrel was a sloppy mess.

I would say Remington has a Quality control issue.
Well that stinks. What was their answer when you inquired as to why they sent you a inferior product as a replacement? I'm wondering if there is a problem with a specific person at Remington or their off site repair contractor? This exact problem has happened to more than one person. Did you make them aware that potential customers are reading about this problem? Not good from a PR stand point, IMHO. For that matter, if they are using a contractor for repairs, the factory people may not be aware there have been some less than perfect guns getting out.

I had a issue with a well known 1911 manufacturer a few years back when they were still somewhat new to the 1911 world. I let them know I would be posting here about the problem and any resolution. They bent over backwards to make me happy and I never did make a post about it or have another issue with that 1911. It is still one of my favorite squeezes for the cold weather months. That is why their products are highly regarded.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
r3drang3r,
How well (or not) does the replacement pistol shoot?
Regards,
Greg
Replacement pistol shoots the same as the first one. It's not my most accurate, nor is it my worst.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt7d101 View Post
Well that stinks. What was their answer when you inquired as to why they sent you a inferior product as a replacement? I'm wondering if there is a problem with a specific person at Remington or their off site repair contractor? This exact problem has happened to more than one person. Did you make them aware that potential customers are reading about this problem? Not good from a PR stand point, IMHO. For that matter, if they are using a contractor for repairs, the factory people may not be aware there have been some less than perfect guns getting out.

I had a issue with a well known 1911 manufacturer a few years back when they were still somewhat new to the 1911 world. I let them know I would be posting here about the problem and any resolution. They bent over backwards to make me happy and I never did make a post about it or have another issue with that 1911. It is still one of my favorite squeezes for the cold weather months. That is why their products are highly regarded.
They had no explanation, other than to request I send it back so they can see it. I have been communicating with one of the higher ups in the CS department. Her English is terrible and ho matter how many times I spell my name she keeps sticking an S on the end of it. After soaking this gun in a degreaser I have been able to restore it to a livable situation. I've fixed the trigger, changed out the barrel bushing, and replaced the grips. Now I just need a good front sight. It shoots OK at the range.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
They had no explanation, other than to request I send it back so they can see it. I have been communicating with one of the higher ups in the CS department. Her English is terrible and ho matter how many times I spell my name she keeps sticking an S on the end of it. After soaking this gun in a degreaser I have been able to restore it to a livable situation. I've fixed the trigger, changed out the barrel bushing, and replaced the grips. Now I just need a good front sight. It shoots OK at the range.
Now they are going to blame you for working on it.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I sent them a lot of pictures showing the gun in detail. The only thing they can blame me for is improving the condition of the gun.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:34 AM

Well, I took the plunge with this new Remington R-1 Stainless Model. I'm hoping to get it out to the range this week. The fit and finish on this gun is quite good. I field stripped it and gave it a good wet cleaning and lubrication, so she's all ready to go. Hopefully it will run as good as it looks. I like the polymer bushing wrench Remington supplied with this pistol. It really comes in handy. I wish more 1911 Manufacturers would follow suit and provide one of these with every new gun. The cost to Remington can only be a few cents per weapon. They pack it in a recess in the case under the slide.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Just got an email from CS. They are going to send me a new front sight.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post

Well, I took the plunge with this new Remington R-1 Stainless Model. I'm hoping to get it out to the range this week. The fit and finish on this gun is quite good. I field stripped it and gave it a good wet cleaning and lubrication, so she's all ready to go. Hopefully it will run as good as it looks. I like the polymer bushing wrench Remington supplied with this pistol. It really comes in handy. I wish more 1911 Manufacturers would follow suit and provide one of these with every new gun. The cost to Remington can only be a few cents per weapon. They pack it in a recess in the case under the slide.
What happened to the slide serrations on the first picture showing the right side?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
What happened to the slide serrations on the first picture showing the right side?
It's just the way the light reflected off of them with the flash.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Just got an email from CS. They are going to send me a new front sight.
I hope that fixes it.