1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM

Ati titan fx 1911

Has anyone had the problem after taking apart can cleaning and putting back together that the slide will not rack back fully again like it is hitting something, I am new to the officers** model so I don't really know what to do.

Last edited by bobfromktown; 01-22-2012 at 10:34 PM. Reason: not a commanders model
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM

Check to make sure that the recoil rod assembly is in place correctly. I put mine in, but not all the way seated against the barrel the first time I took it apart.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 PM

yup. Specially after I changed out the recoil springs. What is happening is the barrel lugs are getting hung up on the slide. All you need to do is place a lill pressure on the top of the barrel thru the ejection port.

Now getting that slide stop back in is another joy.. With the slide on the frame, move the slide rearward till you feel the recoil springs start to compress. At this point I can get the slide stop pin all the way thru the frame, but since the tab in the slide isnt lined up in the right spot it cant be sent home. SO, like I said, when you can feel the springs start to compress, push the pin almost all the way thru. Point the pin in the 6 O'clock position. This way your not gonna ding up the finish.

Now continue to move the slide back till the cut out is lined up where it should be, and partially pull the slide lock out (so you dont scratch the finish) and rotate it around to the correct position and slide it home.

re-read this post until you are comfortable doing what is described. I can not and will not be held responsible if you scratch your frame.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 PM

Lol, I dont think that I will hold you responsible, for idiot marks.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:07 PM

Hey, these days, who knows,,, Gotta cover my a$$

But I really should make a video of the procedure as you are not the first, nor the last that will have this question. Not to mention that pictures are worth a thousand words.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfromktown View Post
Has anyone had the problem after taking apart can cleaning and putting back together that the slide will not rack back fully again like it is hitting something, I am new to the commander model so I don't really know what to do.
Good info from Punisher; go with that... FYI the Titan is a compact with a 3.18" barrel an is closest to an Officer sized 1911; not a Commander which has a 4.25" barrel.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:14 PM

Well taking my full size 1911 is apart is not an issue, but this is my first commander its kicking my ass
Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Officers, excuse me. Sorry im new to the lingo
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Officers, excuse me. Sorry im new to the lingo
No worries.... Now you know half as much as I do!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Thank you so much, I should have joined this forum earlier, got it back together.

Got a little discount because of that scratch too......

Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Couple things for ya. First, congrats on a lill discount,,
Second, the Hornaday ammo ya got there IMO sucks.. I have recovered a round that I shot thru water. Its about as flat as a piece of paper. Yes it mushroomed, but thats about it....

Now if you really want to stop someone you need IMO (again) Ranger T made by Winchester.. That ammo is the BOMB!!!! Or at the least go with Federal HST. Its a close second to Ranger T. Google images on all three to see the difference of the expanded round.

Now on for the goodies... Here ya go, I just made this video for all.... And dont laugh at me at the end of the second one... (you'll know what Im talking about) Both were taken on my iphone 4 not the greatest quality I know, but you'll get the jest.

Installing the slide stop pin after cleaning.
http://youtu.be/BI5faTcOQEA

When your barrel sticks upon reassembly. (no laughing)
http://youtu.be/7-45jsDY4po

Last edited by Punisher102; 01-23-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 PM

OOOOMMMMGGGGG dude, that really sucks, thank you for the videos though.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher102 View Post
... Second, the Hornaday ammo ya got there IMO sucks.. I have recovered a round that I shot thru water. Its about as flat as a piece of paper. Yes it mushroomed, but thats about it....
If ya want some self defense ammo that flat out rocks try the CorBon DPX it is a solid cooper hollow point and not only does it expand it will curl backward with 6 ragged petals that will flat out devastate a body, this round is designed for deep penetration through clothing, glass etc.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
When your barrel sticks upon reassembly. (no laughing)
Oh man...that was painful to watch. You just demo'd the "you know what" scratch! Thanks for posting up the vids.

The reason you have to push down on the barrel is because the recoil spring assembly is not seated fully on the barrel. The way you have shown to release the slide will definitely work in a pinch.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
OOOOMMMMGGGGG dude, that really sucks, thank you for the videos though.
Alls well. I happen to have a buffing motor and also a dremel I can use to fix up that scratch.. Thank got its the polished version...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Alls well. I happen to have a buffing motor and also a dremel I can use to fix up that scratch.. Thank got its the polished version...
That's why I always exert an upward pressure (towards the slide) when setting the slidelock home.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cro View Post
If ya want some self defense ammo that flat out rocks try the CorBon DPX it is a solid cooper hollow point and not only does it expand it will curl backward with 6 ragged petals that will flat out devastate a body, this round is designed for deep penetration through clothing, glass etc.
Is this what you are talking about??

Try this,

This is the top side Ranger T .45

This is the bottom side,

Federal HST .40cal

Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM

OMG those are darn sure menacing alright!

BTW was not attempting to discredit (that would have been foolish) your suggestions just throwing another into the mix....
Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Cro View Post
OMG those are darn sure menacing alright!

BTW was not attempting to discredit (that would have been foolish) your suggestions just throwing another into the mix....
No worries, Its all info, each has to decide what to use.

The Ranger T is the same thing as the Black Talon without the black coating...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
There is a set of wheels that are like scothbrite pads you can use on your gun that are awesome. Dremel part number: 511E-01. They also make a set "softer" that are a purple color. All make really nice finishes on stainless. I use them a lot on the parts I make for work and for my custom motorcycle parts.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverrideplik View Post
There is a set of wheels that are like scothbrite pads you can use on your gun that are awesome. Dremel part number: 511E-01. They also make a set "softer" that are a purple color. All make really nice finishes on stainless. I use them a lot on the parts I make for work and for my custom motorcycle parts.
yep, I know just what your talking about. Ive used them on my custom dog-tag foot pegs I designed. I have since changed that to bead blasting as it makes the finishing of the field so much easier and better looking then the scratched surface from the scotch pads.

But for now I intend on keeping it polished.

A while back, I had inquired about polishing my S&W 4013 with a metallurgist I work with. He said that polish is a pain to keep polished and clean (no finger prints).. I tend to agree with him now that I have both a polished and bead blasted hand guns.. Who know I may break mine totally down and blast the too. Gotta be careful, the blast booths are at work and they arent the most friendliest when it comes to outside work (specially what this is) but I could sneak it in on the weekends.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:16 PM

great reference, thanks for video Punisher102