1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 12-23-2002, 02:06 PM

Front sight paint - what to use?

What's a good brand of paint (white or red) that will hold up on the front sight blade of a 1911 pistol? The black front on black rear does not give enough contrast on my SA 1911's...and i'd rather not replace the sight if there is any decent product that can be painted on that will hold up ok....

TIA !

Old 12-23-2002, 02:18 PM

Well, red is not the color you want for a front sight. Not the greaest color to pick up. There have been a couple of articles on the subject. Now back to your question. I used to paint the front sights on my M-66 revolvers with railroad model paint. Stuff picked up in hobby shops. I'd give the front sight a coat of white as a base and then follow up with a couple coats of bright yellow.
TFL #296 -- MOLON LABE Leonidas c 480 BC -- FFF
If it ain't metal, single stack, and single action, it ain't a 1911 no matter what it looks like!!
Do Not Irk The Forum Curmudgeon
Harold V. B: 03/28/11 D: 11/23/07 Dad, I'll miss you.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:31 PM

Fingernail polish works great for this. There is almost any color you want available. If you are going to use a color, I agree, its best to put a coat of white underneath it first. You can remove it with acetone and it stays on much better than "white-out" or the Birchwood Casey touch up sticks. I haven't tried "Brite Sights" paint but fingernail polish is much cheaper and the choice of colors is better.

Since I don't shoot at orange bulls eyes, I chose international orange for a dot on one of my front sights. It works great.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:17 PM

Another vote for hobby paints. Especially the flourescent ones. And a tip I picked up.

The little red straw that comes with the WD40 can, coincidentally is the same diameter as the hole in the front sight where the dot is normally painted. Attach one to the nozzle of your paint can and get a perfectly painted dot.

Just be sure to use a clean one that hasn't had any WD40 sprayed through it yet.

TFL Alumnus
Life Member NRA, Member GOA
The High Road Forum
Old 12-23-2002, 03:33 PM

Gentlemen: there is a kit by which you cut a dovetail into the front sight and pour the plastic resin into. The color is another question, try green, sounds funny not, the human eye has more receptors for the color green than any other. all of my colts have the green plastic inlay and if i am not mistaken brownells sells the kit.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:09 PM

I used to paint my sight with a very bright red/orange nail polish. Now I have a fiber-optic front sight with a green insert. The fact of the matter is that I now never see the insert. I only look for and concentrate on the top of the blade and my scores have gone up. I believe this is the accepted practice for competition shooters, but it took me many years to figure this out and accept this.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:56 PM

I doctored the sights on my TZ-75 Series 88 with Testors hobby enamels. The rear dots were left in white, but the front dot was painted flourescent green. A number of people who saw what I did laughed until they tried it. The green dot on the front sight made this a great gun for IPSC shoots until I retired it in favor of the 1911.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:28 PM

I bought the Bright Sights Pro gun sight paint kit. It has all of the flourescent colors you would want and they hold up really well. I use yellow and green for contrast on my Pro Tac. Its a great option until I can get the cash for mepro siteswww.brightsights.com