1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 01-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Barrel bushing for 9mm Loaded

I own a relatively new full-size Loaded Target in 9mm (PI9134LP). I want to swap out the barrel bushing for a tighter fitting one from EGW to see if I can improve the accuracy. It's an inexpensive experiment that I would like to do myself.

I measured my slide (0.702) and barrel (0.579), as well as the existing bushing (.698 OD and .581 ID). The 0.004 slide-to-bushing difference explains why the bushing can be turned easily by hand. I'm going to provide the barrel measurement so EGW can do a custom bore. My quandary is I'm not sure what OD to order. The available options are 0.699, 0.7015, 0.703 and 0.705. I'm not sure if the 0.7015 will be tight enough. If I order the next size up, is it reasonable to assume that I can use some emery paper to bring it down to size? Also, is there really any benefit to the thick flange option?
Old 01-21-2012, 08:38 PM

Thick frange bushing, in theory, can improve the accuracy.
My wife's RIA 1911's accuracy when up bit.

But it didn't work on my Loaded 9mm.
I changed bushing thinking that it'll improve accuracy, because my bushing turned easily with my finger.

Turned out that the reason why my bushing tunred easily was because recess cut in to slide where bushing fit is machined too generously

My wife's RIA's bushing would not turn without the bushing tool. Turned out that her recess was cut too tight, but bushing itself was loose to barrel.

Since you said that your gun is fairly new, I'd suggest more shooting before tinker with it.
Biggest thing that contributed to my accuracy was the fact my stock trigger weigh almost 8lb out of box.
New trigger with polished bow and 19lb main spring brought it down to about 6.5lb, and its pretty accurate now.

Oh, and I also went with standard thickness NM bushing as well
Old 01-21-2012, 08:44 PM

yes, it'll make a difference. get one of the custom one's from EGW, if they still offer it.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:42 PM

my full-size loaded 9x19mm definitely improved with a properly fitted barrel bushing
Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the responses. Since I've measured by slide and bushing, I'm pretty certain that the reason it turns so easily is a loose fit (0.004") and is not related to the recess cut.

I didn't mention it in my post, but I do plan to do some trigger work as mine is also quite "stiff" out of the box (btw, I have about 800-900 rounds through the gun now). As part of this process, I'm thinking of swapping out the ILS for a non-ILS mainspring housing.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:48 AM

I fit a new bushing to my Loaded 9 MM and it improved the accuracy. In your post the .7015" should be a good choice and may even be difficult to turn into place. Some light sanding or lapping should fix this. Good luck.

Joe
Old 01-22-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mity2 View Post
Thick frange bushing, in theory, can improve the accuracy.
My wife's RIA 1911's accuracy when up bit.

But it didn't work on my Loaded 9mm.
I changed bushing thinking that it'll improve accuracy, because my bushing turned easily with my finger.

Turned out that the reason why my bushing tunred easily was because recess cut in to slide where bushing fit is machined too generously

My wife's RIA's bushing would not turn without the bushing tool. Turned out that her recess was cut too tight, but bushing itself was loose to barrel.

Since you said that your gun is fairly new, I'd suggest more shooting before tinker with it.
Biggest thing that contributed to my accuracy was the fact my stock trigger weigh almost 8lb out of box.
New trigger with polished bow and 19lb main spring brought it down to about 6.5lb, and its pretty accurate now.

Oh, and I also went with standard thickness NM bushing as well
The slide on mine was also generously cut where the bushing would wobble up and down when it was turned in. When I talked to the folks at EGW they said they make what they call a 1.0 bushing that takes all the play out when fitted. It work for me. Give them a call.
Randy