1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 01-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Sig 1911 Ultra Range Report

I picked up a new Ultra at a gun show a couple weeks back. The sticker on the case says it rolled off the production line on my wedding anniversary, so I figured it was meant to be.

Initially, I noticed that this gun had a lot of features for the price. Night sights, front strap checkering, the kind of goodies I'd expect to push the price a couple hundred bucks or so over the $1K mark (paid only $850 for it, NIB). It fits the hand extremely well; the checkering is aggressive enough to grab your hand but not so much that it chafes. The perfect amount, in my opinion. The slide is nicely fit to the frame, with no wiggling but allowing easy cycling. Again, just right. The trigger has a shade of creep but not all that much and it breaks very cleanly with no overtravel. The thumb safety is somewhat larger than the usual GI style, but it isn't near as big as some others I've seen. In general, it's fit together nicely and feels incredibly good in my hand.

I did field strip, clean, and lube the gun before shooting.

At the range, I put over 200 rounds through it (100 Winchester white box, 50 Aguila, 50ish Winchester 230gr PDX1). It fed, fired, and ejected without a single issue with the stock magazines. I did obtain a couple Metalform Officer's size magazines, and those had an occasional failure to feed the last round (not every time, but every now and then). Again, that did not happen with the stock mags- with those, the gun ran 100%.

Accuracy was quite good. I wasn't shooting for groups, but this is more than capable of drilling holes where I want them at defensive distances. For a 3" 1911, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was very pleased.

So let's see...
Value for the dollar... check (in a big way).
Well built... check (sure seems so).
Reliable... check (need to figure out what to do with those mags).
Accurate... check.

Now I just need a decent holster for the thing. I didn't see too many reviews on the Ultra out there on the internets, so here you have it. Highly recommended, and I look forward to carrying this thing (not that my 5" Lightweight Loaded SA isn't an awesome gun, but this one is going to be a bit easier to hide).

Oh, and here's the requisite picture:
Old 01-21-2012, 08:02 AM

Im going to be looking at one today. I agree it is a great value. I am mostly concerned about reliability in the small 1911s so your report is helpful.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:25 AM

I purchased the two tone model and I am also very very pleased with mine as well. I took it straight to the range and shot 60 rds through it without a single glitch.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM

Thanks for the review. I'm happy to see with all the reviews out all seem to be very positive. I've decided for the price point and reliability this is most likely my next purchase.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 PM

Very helpful review. Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the review. Enjoy it.. I'll be doing a Carry Nitron review soon. Stay tuned.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 AM

Good looking carry piece man.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 AM

I recently acquired a copy of the same gun and after cleaning it, took it out and shot 60 rds of 185 WWB and Remington 235 golden sabres and had no malfunctions. I had read the gun was a toss up regarding accuracy, but this one is fine, not a target gun, but more than adequate. I installed a set of Wilson grips and bought three wilson mags. I also got an Alessi IWB holster that brings it all together. This gun will replace my Colt New Agent.

Last edited by rangemeister; 01-31-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangemeister View Post
I recently acquired a copy of the same gun and after cleaning it, took it out and shot 60 rds of 185 WWB and Remington 235 golden sabres and had no malfunctions. I had read the gun was a toss up regarding accuracy, but this one is fine, not a target gun, but more than adequate. I installed a set of Wilson grips and bought three wilson mags. I also got an Alessi IWB holster that brings it all together. This gun will replace my Colt New Agent.
Interesting; mine didn't seem to be any better or worse than my 5" 1911s. I'd be interested in knowing who says it isn't too accurate. The biggest drawback to great accuracy was the dark firing line made it hard to see the exact outline of the sights (lining up the dots on mine ends up having it shoot a few inches low, but that's pretty normal for 3 dot sights from what I can tell).

Besides, once I've fired over 150 rounds of .45 in a range session, the accuracy starts to get a little loose anyway.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:09 PM

I got mine...

Picked my two tone up yesterday and am looking forward to a trip to the range. FWIW, I did trade a Kimber CDP Pro II for this, but I did so with confidence. Hated using special tools to break down the Kimber, but that wasn't the only factor.

Sigs reputation, the size and feel were a big part of my decision. These reviews also helped.

Oh, mine did come with two mags and I purchased a third.

Now, let's hear some holster recommendations!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:09 PM

New magazines need to break in also. The followers always seem sticky at top of empty tube. Except the ones from Wilson (plastic ).
Congrats on making great choice! You'll never shoot the value out of that one!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCATrader View Post

Now, let's hear some holster recommendations!
I have a Cuda from Simply Rugged on order; should hopefully be here before too long.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:10 AM

On SIGFORUM there is a person or two that said the gun shot low and other such nonsense. As you say TECH, after a few rounds my group gets a little larger also.
What's up with this brass? Seems I had a similiar problem with a PARA c6 I had a hundred years ago
Attached Thumbnails
brass.JPG  

Last edited by rangemeister; 02-06-2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
On SIGFORUM there is a person or two that said the gun shot low and other such nonsense.
Mine does shoot a few inches low at 10 yards. Just to make sure I wasn't the problem, I had the range officer and another shooter take a few turns at it. The grouping is tight, but low. I'm looking for a shorter front sight to remedy the problem.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
On SIGFORUM there is a person or two that said the gun shot low and other such nonsense. As you say TECH, after a few rounds my group gets a little larger also.
What's up with this brass? Seems I had a similiar problem with a PARA c6 I had a hundred years ago
The brass doesn't look too abnormal. Dinged, but that's not uncommon for brass out of a 1911. It still resizes and reloads just fine.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM

Thanks Techno, It seems I have had this in previous 1911s. I have had a hard time finding a 45 compact that I like, but this is as sweet as it gets!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks Techno, It seems I have had this in previous 1911s. I have had a hard time finding a 45 compact that I like, but this is as sweet as it gets!
Agree. If there's a better subcompact 1911, it's going to go for no less than 2x the price, but more likely 3x or more... the only way I can possibly imagine it might be better would be for a true full custom build by the best smiths out there.

I can't wait for my holster to come in, I really want to carry this thing.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:05 PM

Try raising your sights to cover what u r wanting to hit.i think it's called 12:00 hold.i was having the same problem with my tac-pac&rcs.i read on somewere on this forum the solution.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:19 PM

1911 sig ultra - just what i wanted and expected!

Bought my nitro SIG last week. Took it to the range with American Eagle, Georgia Arms, and Power Ball ammo. Shot over 200 rounds. Used the 2 mags that came with the gun, 2 Colt government 7 rounders, and 1 McCormick 8 rounder. Not one FTF! This is a tack driver - one inch groups at 25 ft., standing. I have had Kimbers, Colts, Para's, etc. This is smooth as glass. My new carry gun! Nuff said!

Steve
Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 PM

As soon as I finish refitting M400 this is net on my "Bucket List".!!!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM

I picked one of these up last week but haven't been to the range yet. The range is about 13 miles away and I have to drive about a mile over a graded caliche road and we had rain till yesterday morning and caliche is slick and a big mess when it's wet.
I don't really like the checkered grips but they'll do till I can find some smooth wood or rubber.
I picked up an inexpensive paddle holster for it which is comfortable and the little Sig fits perfectly. I hope I can get to the range today
Old 04-22-2012, 11:16 AM

I just got my ultra two tone, shot it the other day, love it.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Just put the 500th round of factory hard ball through mine - not a single failure of any kind. Since day one, it shoots a little to the left, so I'll have to drift the sight a bit and test it with some premium self defense ammo. Comfortable enough with it to start carrying it, as soon as I find the perfect holster for it.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCATrader View Post
Just put the 500th round of factory hard ball through mine - not a single failure of any kind. Since day one, it shoots a little to the left, so I'll have to drift the sight a bit and test it with some premium self defense ammo. Comfortable enough with it to start carrying it, as soon as I find the perfect holster for it.
Love # 500
Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 AM

Holster and accuracy

Hi All,

I'm new here. I just bought a Sig Nitron Ultra Compact. I am liking it very much. My other 1911 is a Kimber Super Match. I bought the Sig specifically for concealed carry.

The holster I'm using is a Galco King-Tuk for 3" 1911.

Here is an example of the wonderful accuracy I am getting with Federal Hydra-Shoks at 21' with the paper target blowing around from the air filtration system.

I am extremely happy with this setup. I felt the value for the price was good, probably hundreds less than the competition. The metal checkering is top notch and so are the night sights.

Last edited by Caledonication; 05-15-2012 at 12:48 AM.