1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM

Springfield P9

Does anyone own one? Like to know what you think. Thinking of picking one up. New condition, still in box. Any comments are appreciated.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:29 PM

Its Springfield copy of CZ75B.

I think IMO its ugrier then the Original. I imagin they work just as good as CZ75.

I'm not sure what they go for. But last one I saw was $350 or so with 4 mags.

I'd just get CZ75 instead. Or find Jericho 941, which in my opinion was best copy.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 PM

Beauty is in the hand of the beholder.
I love the looks. I read a bunch of reviews and all of them have been favorable.
I will own one soon. Heard they were hand fitted (only heard) cannot verify.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 AM

I like the looks too. I've done a lot of searches on P9s. I have a lot of info on their history. Was hoping there were some folks out there that owned one, so I could get some owner feedback. I appreciate the help. Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 03:56 PM

The P9 is a Tanfoglio clone of the cZ 75. They are solid pistols and if the price is right, go for it, otherwise buy the cZ.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:04 PM

@herd48: kind of like other parts of the Springfield line. Tanfoglio did these as a special run for Springfield, which were then US finished - fitted, polished, blued, boxed etc. I was lucky enough to live near SA in those days; it happened with the P9 just like it is happening today as SA finishes material from offshore.

I do have P9 and P9C compact in 9mm and 40, without compensators. Good guns, great fit and finish. The SA was "THE" gun to shoot for a while in the 80s - many accessories for it back then. IIRC, the ONLY competition weakness for the P9 was the slide stop pins fractured, but that was easily addressed with tool steel replacements. Aftermarket magazines - technically share-able between all the Tanfoglio frame clones - seems to be wide ranging in quality, with some failing to reliably lock the slide back. But that's mags; nothing at all wrong with the guns in my opinion.

However - also a bit tough for parts in some ways given their age. Tanfoglio / EAA / Excam / IMI all seemed to buy the basic frame and slide in different configurations - frame safety, slide safety, firing pin lock, no firing pin lock, etc. and even there, dimensional differences.

So if your plan is modification along the way, just be aware of this fact.

Current EAA Witness wide frame is the base upon which that whole line is constructed, so easy caliber conversion from .22 thru .38 Super / 9mm / .40 / 10mm and 45 is a possibility; accessories about the same, including compensators for the barrels. The Witness will be in the same price range as the P9; on the "big site", you can typically get a 45&22 or 9mm&22 for less than $600, and EAA has begun to supply them with rails if you like that option.

But to also pitch the CZ75, it is the design from which all others were drawn. Based on my overwhelming fondness for full rail SA Operators, I picked up and absolutely fell in love with the steel-frame full-rail SP-01 (with frame mounted safety, not the decocker). This pistol completely tames any 9mm real or perceived recoil. Fabulous pistol, even when the strike plate, bayonet and M6 are mounted (!). CZ has the Kadet .22LR conversion as well.

Summing up, P9 a great gun, but may have trouble with parts/accessories. Witness in the same price range, highly accessorized, but not as high quality fit/finish as the SA. The CZ75 recommended if it fits budget.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:04 PM

Thank you operator. Btw, do you know if George @egw still has any parts available? Never mind I found some on his Web site. Thanks

Last edited by herd48; 01-23-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:11 PM

I have a P9 Ultra IPSC that is very nice. Well fitted, tight and great trigger. It is my understanding that these were made when Les Baer was head of the assembly shop and they are exceptionally nice.

There are a bunch of models out there and many different configurations. Mine is a long slide ported and fitted DA/SA model. It has had about 10,000 rnds of 40 fired out of it and held up well. I broke a slide stop early on but no problems since. I had EGW put a new barrel in it a while back because I burned out the 40 barrel trying to make a 40 into a 10mm.

It is good solid well made steel is probably the best summary.

As pointed out above parts are hard to come buy (bad pun) and basically rare. I have a few spare parts like an extra slide stop and extractor but the rest of the gun is pretty bulletproof and solid.

Back when I bought it (early 90's) it was at the tail end of the P9 craze and I have not seen another like mine ever. It is interesting that they are so rare because they are great guns and easy to shoot well.