1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 01-20-2012, 03:37 PM

S&W 4006 .40 cal. & Colt Gold Cup

I picked these 2 guns up used. The S&W from GB auction and the Colt GC from a private party.

Went to the range last Sunday with both in hand. Turned out to be a less than great day. Forgot the mags for the GC.

I did shoot the S&W. This pistol has "Wood County Sheriff's Dept" lasered on the slide. Whoever had the gun really took good care of it. I was surprised how little holster wear this gun has. This particular mod has the spring loaded decocker. {Which I didn't know} I have 2 other 3rd gen Smiths, both have manual decocker\safety.
This ended up being a short session because the spring in the decoker assembly broke after 2 shots. I rigged up a food storage bag wire twisty so the decocker lever wouldn't flop around.
Between forgetting the mags for the Colt and then discovering the broken spring, I was a little disappointed.
I manage to get through a box of .40 ammo in spite of things. I bought a box of Tula ammo since everything else was sold out at WallyWorld. {I will be reloading for the .40.}
I don't know if anybody worked on this gun but the DA\SA trigger is about as good as I've shot. Very smooth in DA and very crisp and clean in SA.
I'm guessing about 8 or 9lbs and 4 to 4.5 in SA. As with my other 2 S&W's, the reset for SA is about as short as you'll find on any handgun making follow up shots effortless.

I shot everything @50', 2 handed, unsupported.
In SA the gun was dead on. With slow, deliberate aim the gun shot just a hair under 2" groups with a 5 shot string being my best, and just under 3" being my worst.
I did shoot a couple strings of 5 shots in 5 seconds. I managed to keep all but 2 in the black on a B-16 slow fire pistol target.
Bottom line, I'm pleased with the gun. Recoil was surprisingly easy to manage, but I guess the shear wieght of the pistol helps in that area.

Luckily S&W will have a new decocker assembly for me in about 4 weeks.
I continue to be very impressed with the 3rd generation pistols from S&W. After a little more testing, this 4006 will replace my 5906 for EDC.
I can see myself buying a 1911 single stack in .40 in the near future..

I'll try and shoot the Gold Cup this weekend. I'm sure I won't forget the mags this time!
Old 01-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear of the initial issues with your 4006. I recently picked one up, and the thing is built like a tank. Weighs as much as one too, so I'm surprised you plan to CCW yours (a 1911 is about the same weight, but is much slimmer). Mine has become my current HD gun. I agree that the 3rd gen Smiths have been way underrated for a long time, and of course now the used ones are about the best values to be had currently on the market. Mine also has a smooth DA pull, which I've come to find is pretty much the norm for 3rd gen Smiths.

Once you get it fixed please post a follow-up report. And don't forget the mags.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.

Last edited by dsk; 01-20-2012 at 04:54 PM.