1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Blade Forum

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM

Randall #1

What does a Randall #1 go for these days? I met a guy at last gun show that told me Randalls son is now making his knives. Anyone have the sons knife? If so, opinion of the knife?
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Depends on where you go to buy one! Figure anywhere from $450 to about $600, depending on blade length and options. The Wannemacher show in Tulsa has HUNDREDS(no exaggeration) of Randalls every show. Bo's son Gary took over operations in the late 70s, and as I recall, Gary's son is now taking charge. Randall's are what are referred to as bench-made knives these days. The blades are blanked on machines, and then ground and completed by hand. Randall has a number of employees who specialize in different aspects of the finishing, some do handles, some do polishing, etc. The days when you could count on getting a Randall knife actually made by a Randall, start to finish, have been gone since the late 60s, it was the only way to keep up with the demand.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjed View Post
........ Randall's are what are referred to as bench-made knives these days. The blades are blanked on machines, and then ground and completed by hand. Randall has a number of employees who specialize in different aspects of the finishing, some do handles, some do polishing, etc. The days when you could count on getting a Randall knife actually made by a Randall, start to finish, have been gone since the late 60s, it was the only way to keep up with the demand.
Respectfully, you are dead wrong. Randalls are not blanked on a machine. Never have been and likely never will be. They are hand forged from a piece of either O-1 or stainless.

http://www.randallknives.com/construction.php

Blanked on a machine..... Bo Randall is turning over in his grave at the the thought.....

PS....Randall ain't keeping up with demand either. Current waiting period is at 5 years. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 PM

One Randall type is not forged

The only type that is cut and ground from flat stock is the Model 10 Saltwater Fisherman. These used to be "in stock" knives at Randall, but now they are 60 months like all Randall knives.

All the other more famous models are forged. I have both types but my saltwater fishing models get the most use.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:13 AM

The popularity has grown and the war effort has backed them up. Even into the mid-90's and a little later you could call them up and get most of the basic knives (no specifying options) immediately. I think the first Model 1 that I got was in my hand within a week of ordering. Now? Yeah, a long, long wait if you can't find a dealer with what you want.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Old 01-13-2012, 02:01 PM

Lots of #1's on ebay, at all range of prices depending on options and wear.

Yes, I'm waiting until 2014 to get a Randall #5 I ordered custom back in 2009. Turns out I could have paid an extra $100 to a dealer to order it for me, and would have had the knife in six months.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM

The key is to order 1 every year. After 5 years, ya only gotta wait 1 year till the next one comes around.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM

Pricing depends mostly on the era of the knife.Just as any other collectable the age and rarity of the piece commands the price.A wide spacer 5 of World War II vintage will bring in the thousands while a 6 spacer knife of late 60's vintage or early 70's will fetch in the 800.00+. Type of handle(old yellow micarta in vintage spacer knife will command a premium,ect.ect.)Buying Randalls for investmant will demand some serious study just as Early SAA or Military 45's must be correct to justify a premium price. The sheath must match the vintage of the knife to be correct.New Randalls are a soft market right now.This is the time to buy new knives, while the Johnson Roughback sheath era knives and older vintage are holding rather steady in price. Own a piece of history buy a Randall!

Last edited by knifenix; 01-13-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:39 PM

sorry...

My bad, I should know better! The knives are forged, but they use air hammers, and specific sized blanks to minimize waste. And I stand by my comments on the knives being bench-made. Getting a Randall actually MADE by a Randall usually means buying used, not that that's a bad thing, you just have to know what you're looking for. The usual way to tell when a knife was made is the pattern, thickness, and color of the spacers used in the handles. I can't read 'em! In the case of the micarta handles, you might be able to tell by the stamp.

The wait period is a killer for some, but the knives are available. AG Russell has a decent selection, and dealers at the Tulsa shows seem to have no shortage of knives.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM

Some nice new-looking Randalls here:

http://beckscutleryonline.com/randallpage.htm

and here:

http://nordicknives.com/GenTN3.php?c...s%20in%20Stock

Get you that Bo Randall Throwing Spike ball for $2,500!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:07 PM

I like the #1 but not sure what to make of the leather washer handle.
anyway, I ordered a #2 with Micarta handle about four years ago and take delivery this november.
If i had gone through a dealer I would have gotten the knife in 6 months, but paid about 40% more.
plus I got my name on the blade and bragging rights that I got it straight from Randall.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Stacked leather handles are the way to go for a user knife. Gutting a deer you'll get blood on your hands and on the handle. Stag or any type of synthetic material gets slick when wet. But the leather handle just gets tacky and sticky when wet and will not slip out of your hands. All of my Randall users have a leather handle.

Some of mine....

Last edited by TRSOtto; 02-12-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned

My Randles

Removed

Last edited by 1911shooter474; 04-16-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Stacked leather handles are the way to go for a user knife. Gutting a deer you'll get blood on your hands and on the handle. Stag or any type of synthetic material gets slick when wet. But the leather handle just gets tacky and sticky when wet and will not slip out of your hands. All of my Randall users have a leather handle.
Nice knives, but the leather washers on my #3 got all twisted and out of alignment after some hard use. I was able to massage them back into place, but basically you can't beat on the butt if you have that handle. That's why I decided to change my custom order to a micarta handle.

Have you had this issue on your "user" Randalls?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:03 PM

The first year I used my model 3-5, the leather started to shrink and the washers got loose. I loosened the nut on the handle, realigned all of the washers and tightened the nut back down. Then I applied some leather conditioner, and now i do that about 2 times a year. Once in the fall when it goes into my bowhunting pack, then again in the spring after turkey season. I haven't had any problems since then and the knife is about 7 years old.

PS....when you tighten the nut back down, you may have a couple of threads exposed on the threaded stud coming up through the cap nut. Just grind the end of the stud back flush with the nut and you're back in business.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:40 PM

Have used Randalls forever it seems like. My model #1 was and is the one that I have with me when I need a knife. When I was young they were 125-150 dollars. Look up their cataloge on the web. I have never had a problem with the 7 inch blade. If I have some fine work to do I just choke up on the blade. Mine is an old micarta handle and it has seen better days. I have had it back at Randall's for reconditioning twice and replaced the sheath several years ago. I also like and use their Model #7 with a 4 1/2 blade. My nephew wouldn't leave home without his #3.

Never had an issue with a Randall Made Knife. If you are ever in the Orlando, Florida area you should stop in and visit them. Gary and Jason Randall are running the show and they are great people to talk to.

And if you need a knife for "going off to war", give them a call and talk to them about it. Bo Randall was known to take care of the Military and I believe they can work with you.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:42 PM

Good tips, thanks for the reply.

You fellows have some good looking knives!

Does anyone have a preference for stainless v. carbon steel?
Old 02-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Carbon Steel for me. I like a blade that seasons into the gray color. On a wilderness canoe trip to the Boundry Waters I used cooking oil to protect the blade. I have waded a lot fly fishing and you have to clean carbon and oil it.

I find it is easier to sharpen on a stone, but with the sharpening systems out there you shouldn't have a problem.

I do have a custom made knife by E.H.Brown that is stainless and it seems harder to sharpen but once I get it sharp its really sharp.

A lot of people don't use their custom made knives. The Randalls like to see them used for the purpose they made them for. (And that's a qoute from Gary Randall.)
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM

Firstly, to correct some expert opinions, they are entirely forged, and from flat barstock, whether by a hand powered hammer or otherwise makes no difference, a guy is standing there at the hammer and moving steel.....if you look at the construction details on their site, you can see the entire blade and tang is kneaded out of that thick bar of steel, including entire shape of blade to about the thickness of a nickle at the edge....a lot of metal getting moved around, which is what you want to gain the advantages of a forged blade....very little final "grinding" when scale still shows on a finished blade and mostly cosmetic polishing, as with Randalls....

As for getting one, you can get one by contacting one of several authorized dealers who charge only catalog price, generally in about 5mths...the 2012 price on a standard #1 is $375...get the same knife in stainless with micarta handle and stainless blade and much heavier tang as the #16-7 SP#1 for $405....compared to the ridiculous prices people are getting for stock removal name brand today, a Randall is a low-med priced knife, and benchmade unlike others, and an incredible bargain for that level of handwork.

they have never claimed to give you anything but the finest knife you can get for the money they charge, and they do that in spades...
"Meanwhile, over on the far side of Hartford, the company that started it all continues to run its own version out the door in considerable quantities. It's the one with the prancing horse on the side. They make the originals. The Colts."

Last edited by mtngunr; 03-06-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:28 PM

mtngunr-

can you post, or pm me who sells Randalls for catalog price for a 5 month wait. I have one that a few years out but could be tempted...
Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 AM

bofe954, I know that you can pay $75 to $100 over catalog to get a Randall knife made to your specifications at Andy Thornal's in Winter Haven, FL. 1-800-499-9890, ask for Ken. He says he has two spaces on this month's order, so if you order now he can get your knife in July!

www.andythornal.com
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks taxvictim
Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM

Here are Randall Made catalogs from 69 (small) 72 (tan) 78 (green). 69 has order confirmations, changes and change confirmation. Originally, cut teeth were included plus other standard features. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332197345.418611.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	78887Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332197384.355208.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	78888Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332197413.658174.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	78889

Blade width, interesting!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332197515.601027.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	78890

I own 17 (12 are early, late 60's and very early 70's all made when W. D. Randall ran the show, most S) many with extras ordered and include, original correct sheaths and stones. Only one, the Bushmaster has been professionally sharpened. Additionally, have paperwork for most orders.

Gotta love Randall Made knives
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332197540.369516.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 AM

I have a #1 stag. I Love it. Just as nice as the the old ones.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM
Banned

Removed

Last edited by 1911shooter474; 04-16-2012 at 08:40 AM.