1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 01-11-2012, 10:43 AM

Ruger Red Label discontinued

Our son tried to get on Ruger's website the other day to look at Red Label shotguns. They were taken down. A quick Google search revealed that Ruger did discontinue them. I now wish I bought a 20 gauge model when I had the money.

I currently have two of them. The one I shoot the most started giving me problems during the 2010 waterfowl season. I put it off, until the bottom barrel stopped firing during the 2011 youth waterfowl weekend. I sent the gun in and Ruger repaired it for free.

Monday, I called the Newport, NH factory. I wanted to know if Ruger would continue factory support since the gun has been discontinued. The CSR told me that if my gun broke today or tomorrow, they would repair it. However, there would be no guarantee that they would continue this policy five years down the road. If you have a Ruger Red Label, and it has been giving you trouble, now may be the time to send it in for service.

The CSR did tell me that they were told to inform customers calling about the Red Label to keep an eye on the company website. She did not go into details. I've long since heard rumors of a pump shotgun in the works, but for myself, it won't be the same as an over-under. Plus, I already have a Remington 870. I was also told that if my Red Label becomes unserviceable in the future, Ruger may offer an at-cost replacement in exchange for my shotgun. I would never send in an over-under for a pump or semi-auto. That's just my opinion.

I am afraid to shoot them incase they break down. From what I've been told, plus my experience tells me that the Red Label isn't as robust as a Browning or Beretta. This may account for a lack of sales. Selling or trading the two Red Labels would definitely be out of the question. They both have sentimental value. One I bought off of my dad, and the other my wife bought for me. They will both go to the back of the safe for the time being.

Last edited by maf; 01-11-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Well keep in mind that, up until recently, Ruger still provided service for the AC-556 (factory full auto Mini-14). So 20+ years of service for an out-of-production gun. The Red Labels may now be gone, but they're more popular/plentiful than the AC, so they'll probably continue service for a good while.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 PM

You will always find someone who can make the parts BUT it will cost a lot more than the gun is worth in some cases. Shoot it and don't worry.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:40 PM

Looks like it was gone on or before March 2011.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-shotguns...king-info.html

Look at the date of the first post.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM

Sorry to hear that. They were a nice looking shotgun, but having owned two of them, both with problems, agree they were not up to the standards of Browning or Beretta.

Mine both exhibited ejection problems, rattle trap loose vent rib, and barrels that were misaligned. Both sent back to Ruger, and both continued to have problems.

If I were to buy another, or one to hang on to, it would be one of the earlier fixed choke original 20 gauge models.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 PM

Red Label, not Gold Label...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP9 View Post
Looks like it was gone on or before March 2011.

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-shotguns...king-info.html

Look at the date of the first post.

The Red Label was on the Ruger website a couple of weeks ago. I know, I was lusting after the 20 gauge with the straight stock. As a matter of fact, I know of a gun shop that just got a brand new Red Label in. The Ruger CSR confirmed to me that they just discontinued the Red Label. It was a very recent decision.

I believe they are confused about the Gold Label SXS shotgun in the link you provided. That one was discontinued a few years ago.

Last edited by maf; 01-11-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
The Red Label was on the Ruger website a couple of weeks ago. I know, I was lusting after the 20 gauge with the straight stock. As a matter of fact, I know of a gun shop that just got a brand new Red Label in. The Ruger CSR confirmed to me that they just discontinued the Red Label. It was a very recent decision.

I believe they are confused about the Gold Label SXS shotgun in the link you provided. That one was discontinued a few years ago.
The OP appeared to know what he was talking about.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:40 PM

Post #9 from the link you provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP9 View Post
The OP appeared to know what he was talking about.

"Well, I sent my Red Label .20 off to Ruger today (3/11/2011) after Ruger responded promptly to my e-mail seeking help.They also responded in the e-mail that they still make the Red Label and will continue to make it. I hope I get the repaired .20 back timely, I plan on bringing it to Bolivia for doves in June. Have been bringing Remington 1100's for last 5 years but the heat builds fast w/automatics. Poor ammo last year sealed it to switch from autos, tho."
Old 01-11-2012, 03:55 PM

Very Sad. I am glad that I got the one that I have.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barnette View Post
Sorry to hear that. They were a nice looking shotgun, but having owned two of them, both with problems, agree they were not up to the standards of Browning or Beretta.

Mine both exhibited ejection problems, rattle trap loose vent rib, and barrels that were misaligned. Both sent back to Ruger, and both continued to have problems.

If I were to buy another, or one to hang on to, it would be one of the earlier fixed choke original 20 gauge models.
Well since you brought it up first I have had one and it had the rattle in the vent rib and the barrel selector. The fit and finish was not even close to my friends o/u's Beretta's and Brownings. The "2 hole snob club" as we called it when we could not afford anything but the "sheetmetal special" 1100's back then laughed at the Ruger so it only lasted one dove season before it became a Gran Lightning and the laughing stopped!!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:34 PM

they will always be able to take care of your gun, just shoot it

Also, the red labels are coming, don't worry
Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
"Well, I sent my Red Label .20 off to Ruger today (3/11/2011) after Ruger responded promptly to my e-mail seeking help.They also responded in the e-mail that they still make the Red Label and will continue to make it. I hope I get the repaired .20 back timely, I plan on bringing it to Bolivia for doves in June. Have been bringing Remington 1100's for last 5 years but the heat builds fast w/automatics. Poor ammo last year sealed it to switch from autos, tho."
Companies have been known not to tell the complete truth before.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:27 PM

the red label is fine