1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Dan Wesson

Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Has anyone asked Dave for an update ? If not I will....just don't want to flood him with the inquirys
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 PM

e mail from dave today said eco's shipping late April or may.i'm sending him my check tomorrow
put me on the list
pete
nra life member cotep#85
Old 02-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Two questions:

1) Any guesses as to when the reviews will come in on this?

2) ECO vs CCO: Is there any way to guess (or reviews I'm unaware of) comparing how the two shoot compared to each other?

I have been all gung ho about going full- or commander-sized & steel for carry (don't ask me why), but the more I think of it, and the more I look at it (I got the CZ catalog from the evil man behind the counter at my LGS), the more I really like it.

O.k, three questions:

3) 9mm vs. .45 ACP: Is there any way to guess which might be more reliable in the cycling or durable long-term, or should it be a push? My instinct is to go .45, but I don't have a 9mm in anything, and I've got months to wait (likely from what I've heard) so some good old fashioned forum debating seems like a nice way to kill some time.

Any thoughts? Talk me into something.

-Cheers
Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave I View Post
Two questions:

3) 9mm vs. .45 ACP: Is there any way to guess which might be more reliable in the cycling or durable long-term, or should it be a push? My instinct is to go .45, but I don't have a 9mm in anything, and I've got months to wait (likely from what I've heard) so some good old fashioned forum debating seems like a nice way to kill some time.

-Cheers
IF there is any diff in reliability, the nod will go to the .45. It is much easier to scale down a gun and get it to work well with .45 than it is with 9mm. I would think that they will both be great though.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 PM

From Quack's 2012 SHOT Show pictures.

COTEFT #2
Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave I View Post
Two questions:

1) Any guesses as to when the reviews will come in on this?
Patrick Sweeney has already done one.

2) ECO vs CCO: Is there any way to guess (or reviews I'm unaware of) comparing how the two shoot compared to each other?
they should shoot similar, but i would probably give the ECO the edge because of the checkering. The ECO also has a .75" shorter slide, so that will be a factor as well.

I have been all gung ho about going full- or commander-sized & steel for carry (don't ask me why), but the more I think of it, and the more I look at it (I got the CZ catalog from the evil man behind the counter at my LGS), the more I really like it.

O.k, three questions:

if the guns are built correctly, then it should be a push, but the longer OAL of the .45 would make it inherently more reliable.

-Cheers
^^^^^^
Old 02-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Banned

I wonder if the five-sided slide will affect holster fit, or if any holsters for an Officer's Model will fit it.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
I wonder if the five-sided slide will affect holster fit, or if any holsters for an Officer's Model will fit it.
That's a good question. I was just thinking of calling Milt Sparks and getting the ball rolling on a VM2 for one of these. I WILL own an ECO sooner or later.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Patrick Sweeney has already done one.
Oh, duh! I had the CZ catalog on my dinner table and had just looked at the pictures. There is probably some Playboy joke in there. Anyway, I read it, sounds like he was impressed. I'd still like to see a shootout, maybe between a V-Bob, Guardian, CCO, and ECO. I suppose that might be asking a bit much for a gun that is not even released yet though.

Quote:
(The ECO and CCO) should shoot similar, but i would probably give the ECO the edge because of the checkering. The ECO also has a .75" shorter slide, so that will be a factor as well.
Dumb question: Would that be because the checkering on the ECO would help with the grip and thus the overall shooting more than the added (if minimal) weight and length of the CCO? I've never shot an Officer style 1911.

Quote:
if the guns are built correctly, then it should be a push, but the longer OAL of the .45 would make it inherently more reliable.
Sounds great. Thanks for the reply! I put my name on the list at my local gun shop so should be getting a call when they come in and then I'll go check them out.

-Cheers
Old 02-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Checkering (IMO) provides better grip than scallops. Better grip meaning less movement of the gun in hand.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:02 PM

Any idea on price? I want one too!!
Dan Wesson ECO; Dan Wesson matte SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, Ruger 22/45; Hornady LnL Progressive
Old 02-11-2012, 05:01 PM

MSRP is $1662, so street price would probably be ~$1500
Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack View Post
MSRP is $1662, so street price would probably be ~$1500
That's what my LGS told me, around $1,500 (approximately).

-Cheers
Old 02-12-2012, 12:39 PM

Ya...You guys should call Severns Customs....
Old 02-12-2012, 05:18 PM

thats who i pre ordered thru cant wait,dave is a first class gunsmith and inspects them all prior to shipping.i think this is the third gun i ordered from him.all have been great.usually i have him spruce them up a little but the eco looks good to go
pete
nra life member cotep#85
Old 04-08-2012, 07:22 PM

Hello all. I'd like to order an ECO, but living in a small town. I'm not sure how to acquire one. I don't have an FFL so must I travel to purchase one? Any thoughts?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Try the dealer lookup on the CZ web site to find one closest to you. I used my LGS since they're one of the larger stores in the country. I also emailed Dave Severns, who has a sterling reputation on this board, but required half the purchase price for a deposit and doesn't take plastic. His price was good, but I couldn't bring myself to hand over that much cash without recourse to a dealer I didn't really know. Just my quirky personality, I guess. I'm sure Dave is a stand up guy.

The hard part isn't finding a dealer to place an order for you. The hard part is the wait while DW waits for parts, especially the 9mm version I'm told. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsu11 View Post
Try the dealer lookup on the CZ web site to find one closest to you. I used my LGS since they're one of the larger stores in the country. I also emailed Dave Severns, who has a sterling reputation on this board, but required half the purchase price for a deposit and doesn't take plastic. His price was good, but I couldn't bring myself to hand over that much cash without recourse to a dealer I didn't really know. Just my quirky personality, I guess. I'm sure Dave is a stand up guy.

The hard part isn't finding a dealer to place an order for you. The hard part is the wait while DW waits for parts, especially the 9mm version I'm told. Good luck!
i along with others have ordered from dave ,in my case 2 cbobs 1 in 10mm and another in 45,the 45 he did a reliability job to prior to sending it to me.his reputation is well deserved and i had no problem putting 1/2 down even though we are thousands of miles apart.one advantage if him over a regular ffl is he looks over each gun prior to sending them out.
i have a eco on order with him and cant wait till it gets here
pete
nra life member cotep#85
Old 04-08-2012, 10:55 PM

I want in on this too! Anyone know if Severns Custom will allow a California resident to buy, and have them send it to a FFL for the single shot conversion? then from there to my local FFL.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:58 PM

Only one way to find out. Give 'em a call.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Instead of making a new thread Ill ask here. According to DWs site there isnt much of a weight difference between the ECO and CCO, CCO= 1.6lbs, ECO 25 ounces. Is this accurate from what people know?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmejr View Post
Instead of making a new thread Ill ask here. According to DWs site there isnt much of a weight difference between the ECO and CCO, CCO= 1.6lbs, ECO 25 ounces. Is this accurate from what people know?
Per the catalog CCO 1.6 lbs, ECO 1.56 lbs
Old 04-22-2012, 11:27 AM

So weight really wouldnt be a factor in picking a ECO over a CCO.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:42 PM

They are both designed for carry. 3/4" of ss is the difference. I cant seem to figure out what .04 lbs difference is in ounces. 16 x .04 = .64. But 3/4 ss has to weigh more then that. No?
Dan Wesson ECO; Dan Wesson matte SS VBOB, Custom Stainless TLE II, Pro Tactical .9mm, Colt Defender .45, Ruger LC9, Keltec .32, Walther PPK .380, S&W 6" Stainless M66 .357, Browning Buckmark II Target .22, Ruger 22/45; Hornady LnL Progressive
Old 04-22-2012, 02:43 PM

Pre-ordered from Dave and sent him more than half w/o a second thought. His rep is flawless here. I believe I got the last .45 he had on acquisition. Give him a call.

I'm hearing they are beginning to ship the ECO and I'm wondering if/when Dave will have his arrive. I'd call him but don't think that will make it happen any sooner and from my understanding he's been real busy so I don't want to bug him w/ "when's my ECO coming!"