1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 12-31-2011, 08:18 PM

1st range report - GSG 1911-22 with strange failure

Update: 1/8/12 300 rounds downrange today with zero failure to fire events. I was careful to keep fingers off the slide and sling shot completely to the rear before release. As is often the case, the problem apparently was with the shooter. The GSG is fun to shoot, VERY accurate and continues to make me better with my .45.

Took my GSG to the range today for the first time. 300 rounds down range without FTL or FTE failure. I did, however, have an unusual experience that I wanted to share with the group.
I had 9 instances of first round in the mag failing to fire. First few were not alarming - simple rack the round out and continue firing. All rounds that FTF would fire when reloaded in the mag. There were no other plated Remington rounds, out of 300, that had FTF!
On the next 1st round FTF event, I re-cocked the hammer and the round fired. I did not rotate the round - just cock and fire. Five more times I had 1st round FTF - re-cocked the hammer, and all 5 rounds fired. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Back to the range report. The GSG operated flawlessly and is great fun, and very cheap to shoot! Out of the box (after thorough clean and lube) the gun shoots at POA and handles like a 45ACP. Trigger is excellent and reasonably tight groups are possible with the right person at the trigger .
After 300 .22 rounds I brought out my Kimber PRO CDP and shot the best 50 round group since I owned the gun. The GSG did what I hoped it would do - helped me develop trigger squeeze discipline and front sight focus. I am very pleased with my new gun.

The only negative I can report is the oft mentioned wear on the front corner of the slide lock slot on the slide.

Last edited by c5bob; 01-08-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-01-2012, 01:32 AM

Are you pulling the slide back and letting it slam back into battery. If you're riding the slide with your hand as it goes into battery, maybe its' not fully chambering the round. Could cause light strikes on the first round. Might be something to look at.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5bob View Post
Took my GSG to the range today for the first time. 300 rounds down range without FTL or FTE failure. I did, however, have an unusual experience that I wanted to share with the group.
I had 9 instances of first round in the mag failing to fire. First few were not alarming - simple rack the round out and continue firing. All rounds that FTF would fire when reloaded in the mag. There were no other plated Remington rounds, out of 300, that had FTF!
On the next 1st round FTF event, I re-cocked the hammer and the round fired. I did not rotate the round - just cock and fire. Five more times I had 1st round FTF - re-cocked the hammer, and all 5 rounds fired. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Back to the range report. The GSG operated flawlessly and is great fun, and very cheap to shoot! Out of the box (after thorough clean and lube) the gun shoots at POA and handles like a 45ACP. Trigger is excellent and reasonably tight groups are possible with the right person at the trigger .
After 300 .22 rounds I brought out my Kimber PRO CDP and shot the best 50 round group since I owned the gun. The GSG did what I hoped it would do - helped me develop trigger squeeze discipline and front sight focus. I am very pleased with my new gun.

The only negative I can report is the oft mentioned wear on the front corner of the slide lock slot on the slide.
See here for the fix.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=343805
COTEFT #2
Old 01-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogrider04 View Post
Are you pulling the slide back and letting it slam back into battery. If you're riding the slide with your hand as it goes into battery, maybe its' not fully chambering the round. Could cause light strikes on the first round. Might be something to look at.
I slingshot the slide to chamber the 1st round - full back and release in one motion. Next time I go to the range I will test your theory by checking to see if the slide is in battery before firing first round.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knedrgr View Post
knedrgr,

The Ed Brown plunger spring and ends kit that you used for your fix . . . is that the "rebuild kit" and "plunger tube" from Ed Brown? Is this a job for a gunsmith?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c5bob View Post
knedrgr,

The Ed Brown plunger spring and ends kit that you used for your fix . . . is that the "rebuild kit" and "plunger tube" from Ed Brown? Is this a job for a gunsmith?

Thanks
I just replaced the spring and ends from the rebuilt kit I had laying around. Tube is still stock GSG.

Depending on our comfort level and skills, it can be done at home.
COTEFT #2