1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 12-30-2011, 05:50 PM

ATI FX Fatboy Thread

Hi all! I bought an ATI Fatboy at a recent gun show (NIB). I had quite a few jams the first time I shot it. I did tear the gun apart and clean it before taking the gun to the range. I oiled the slide and rails with Break Free. I'm not a big fan of the double spring recoil assembly. It appears to be the same as the Titan.

I thought the jams were due to the magazine. Not wanting to spend $50 on a new mag from ATI, I purchased a Para Ordnance P13 mag after finding out that this was the correct length magazine (not the P12 or the P14). However, when I inserted the mag, it stopped 1/4" from home. I slapped the bottom of the mag home and it locked into place. Then I tried to remove it. The magazine had jammed in the gun! I had to use a wooden dowel to punch out the mag through the ejector port by placing the dowel against the lips of the mag while holding the magazine release with the slide racked back under tension. What a pain in the arse.

I guess I'm going to have purchase an ATI mag after all. I've posted pics below of the differences between the Para Ordnance manufactured P13 mag and the ATI Fatboy mag.

Oh and..my gun is a very early serial number. It shows the last three digits as 99 with a bunch of zeros in front of it.

Last edited by Martensite; 02-04-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 PM

For those of you wanting to know what the Fatboy looks like, here's a pic...

Old 12-31-2011, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm wanting one of these in a very bad way as a carry gun. You need to do a range report on your gun and let us know how it shoots.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:20 AM

What type of 'jam'? Stovepipe, FTE, FTF?

I too think it's an interesting piece. Just lack of magazine choices kind of puts me off a little.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XinTX View Post
What type of 'jam'? Stovepipe, FTE, FTF?
I had one stovepipe but most were FTF's. I was using cheap Wally World Federal ammo (small pistol primed). I think if the bullets were jacketed instead of copper plated, I wouldn't have had as many jams. Most of the bullet noses had a crease in them where the tip of the bullet caught between the underside of the barrel and the feed ramp.

I shot about half a box of UMC jacketed ball ammo with no jams whatsoever.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:36 PM

Well...I traded my P13 Para Ordnance magazine for a Mec-Gar P14 mag at the gun show this weekend. Good news! Fits like a glove and releases free of the gun when the magazine release is depressed. As expected it sticks out a bit, but totally ok for the range.

Apparently the P14 mag from Mec-Gar (according to their website) has a "Redesigned tube to improve functionality, heat-treated for strength". Maybe this is why it fits the ATI Fatboy. It also has more similarities to the ATI mag including the large diamond shaped bullet guide (wider) and the crescent relief in the magazine tube at the top of the back of the follower.

Last edited by Martensite; 02-04-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 PM

I too recently purchased a Fatboy and have been very pleased with mine as a carry piece. Very accurate and completely reliable. I hope your experience has been similar.

Boarhunter
Old 02-04-2012, 01:52 PM

I can't say mine has been reliable at all. I've had numerous FTF's and the stock recoil spring assembly is a piece of junk. The slide peened the hell out of the recoil spring backer plate and actually bent it.

I am currently running the Colt Defender recoil spring assembly. I tried it recently and still had jamming issues. I was using the Colt Defender assembly with a Kimber 21 lb outer spring (the large spring). I had a problem with the slide not locking open after the last round was fired, so I have since ordered and replaced the 21 Lb Kimber Ultra Carry spring with an 18 Lb. Kimber Ultra carry spring. I have yet to shoot it with this combo.

I'm not at all happy with the performance of this pistol. Can you load your mag with all 12 rounds and fire them all without a jam? I can't.

I had to fine tune and polish the extractor too. At least now I don't have brass hitting me in the head. I got a pretty nice bleeding smiley cut from one case. I was wondering why the range master was looking at me funny when I left that day.

I can also report that the Mec-Gar P13 magazine DOES NOT WORK in this pistol. The crimps at the top of the mag have different angles and it is a little wider than the stock mag up top which ended up interfering with the operation of the trigger bow (locking up the trigger). If you want an extra mag, you will have to purchase either an ATI stocker or you can use a Para Ordnance P14 mag if you don't mind the magazine extending out past the bottom of the gun.

I haven't given up on this little pistol and really want it to be jam free. However I'm in the middle of tricking out my Norinco 1911 so I really want to get that done before I tinker any more with the Fat Boy.

Glad to hear yours works fine. That means that the platform is good...something is just not right with mine.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:57 PM

In checking the tension of the extractor today, I found that it was too tight. I had polished and deburred the tip, but I hadn't really checked the tension. With the slide removed, I inserted a loaded round between the extractor and the breech face. No matter how much I rotated the slide or shook it the round would not fall out.

Sooo...I pulled the extractor, placed it in a vice and lightly bent it backwards to relieve some of the tension. Now the round will slip under the extractor and with light shaking and rotation of the slide it will drop out. I should have known the tension was too tight because I had to use a brass punch on the face of the extractor to remove it from the slide everytime I cleaned it. Now the extractor fits in its tunnel with just the right amount of friction. I don't have to force it in or out. We'll see how the pistol performs with this adjustment...
Old 02-06-2012, 06:11 AM

just picked up a fatboy yesterday. i received a 10rd magazine with it. will a 12rd magazine work with it?
or even those 14 rd p14 magazines?
is the only reason there is a 10rd magazine option is because of capacity laws in certain parts of the country?
and its really the exact same pistol except for magazine capacity option?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temtone View Post
just picked up a fatboy yesterday. i received a 10rd magazine with it. will a 12rd magazine work with it?
or even those 14 rd p14 magazines?
is the only reason there is a 10rd magazine option is because of capacity laws in certain parts of the country?
and its really the exact same pistol except for magazine capacity option?
Yes, the ATI Fatboy 12 round mag will work in your gun. You are correct, because of the capacity laws you have a 10-rd mag. ATI offers both. It is the exact same pistol except for the magazine being 10-rd instead of 12-rd.

As I've confirmed at the start of this thread, the P14 Para mag will work. Just don't buy a P12 (too short) or P13 (angles/width are off and interfere with the mag release and trigger).
Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM

I considered one of these, until I heard about the mags and how much ATI wants for spares.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodadek View Post
I considered one of these, until I heard about the mags and how much ATI wants for spares.
Yep...that's definitely a "Debbie-downer" for me. You can pick up a P14 mag for about $20 - $25 though if you don't mind it sticking out the bottom. I prefer the Mec-Gar mags. The quality of stock Para Ordnance manufactured mags is in the ****ter. So much for another "made in the USA" product that is lesser quality than the foreign (Italian) equivalent.

And..don't tell me all Para Ordnance mags are made in Canada. I'm talking about the ones made in Pineville, N.C. and Florida.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:31 AM

Have one I bought back in December and only FTF or jamb I've had was with some junk a$$ tulammo. Everything else I throw in it comes right on out. Bought two extra mags but they somehow hold 13 rounds each versus the one that came with it which only holds 12.

Not sure how this is unless the one that came with it possibly has a half a coil or whole coil more on its spring. No matter to me they all fit flush and every round feeds and ejects fine, and at 15 yards can put'em all in a 2-2.5 inch circle. Just guessing I've never actually measured as I'm not that into taking measurents for target practice. If your within 50 feet of me I'm hitting you if I'm trying lol. Granted this isn't under pressure of a real firefight and hope it never is.

Anyway for a cheap 1911 I'm totally satisfied and if I wore jackets alot id use it as a carry gun, otherwise the little 380 is just fine for conceal carry use and I'm sure if one hit me I wouldn't like it one bit lol. Will post some pics of the gun and mags of I can figure It out lol but until then I can say all three mags look identical and they all have a P14 45 ACP Made in Italy on one side stamped and 12 RDS stamped on the other so I'd say they are cut down P14-45 mags. That of course is a best guess from me.

Also this gun or frame is from Shooters Arms Manufacturing Inc. AKA S.A.M.I. and i cant find any info on parts except maybe mags, springs, and trigger, also cant register my warranty as they dont list this model 1911 in that area on the ATI website. Its actually called a S.A.M. Crusader on Shooters Arms website but looks almost identical.Anyhow hope some of this info was/is helpful and that your experience with the fatboy is as good as mine has been so far.

Attached Thumbnails
2012-02-05_23-23-13_422.jpg   2012-02-09_02-35-01_352.jpg  

Last edited by Fatboy72; 02-09-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 02-09-2012, 07:41 PM

I wish I had good things to say about this pistol. I haven't yet been able to empty a mag without a jam and...I've used several different mags and ammo.

Double stacks are prone to being "jam city" from my experiences.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 PM

I think that I got a good one. I have had very good luck with mine. Shot mine with out cleaning out the shipping grease and had a few ftf. But did not have any problems putting several mags thru it with out problems. Got it cleaned up and going to put about 100 to 150 tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernameinuse View Post
I think that I got a good one. I have had very good luck with mine. Shot mine with out cleaning out the shipping grease and had a few ftf. But did not have any problems putting several mags thru it with out problems. Got it cleaned up and going to put about 100 to 150 tomorrow.
Let me know how it goes. My pistol's serial number is within the first 100 produced. Maybe the higher serial number Fatboy pistols have the bugs worked out.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Yea might be, my serial number is six digits with first being a 1 and last three is 496 and as stated just a few FTL with the junk tulammo and two reloaded cartridges. Everything else has emptied clean from start to finish. There was some small jagged edges from casting process I guess which were on the frame right under the slide near the feed/eject area and I smoothed that out with some fine filing and also on the ejection ???tang??? part of the frame which had a lip on the top and one side of its surface which would have caused premature wear to the slide if not also smoothed out. So far since I've had no issues, but I've used no tulammo either...
Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 AM

Could be, but mine is SN1 and 160. I am going to go get some cheap stuff too and see how it works too. I will try to take some pic of any failures that I have. I do want to find a new recoil spring for mine. I was looking at either the colt or the kimber, will have to ask the gunsmith when I get there if they will fit. One other question, could I replace the slide with a full sized slide?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:13 AM

just did a compleat teardown of the fatboy and gave it a good cleaning and light lube. I found the main spring to be very dirty and gunked up. Every bit of shipping grease and crud was removed and a very light coating of Rem oil place on moving parts. It feels much smoother now. The last time I took a 1911 apart was in the very early 90's so it took me a bit to remember how to do it with out any tools. Have to love how they made the pistol. So simple and easy to work on.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Ok, today at the range was not a very good day. 99% of all issues were FTF and only one where the spent casing was not removed. After each of the FTF could see part of the recoil rod sticking out of the front of the pistol. Field stripped many time only to see the silver part of the recoil assy stuck forward a little on every one. Last one was the recoil rod sticking about 1/2 in out. Brought it home cleaned it and was able repeat the recoil rod sticking out of the pistol. Grabbed the dremal and some 600 grit sanding wheels and started working on the silver part of the recoil assy. It seems much smoother now. So tomorrow I will be taking it to the range again for some testing. Dremal is coming with me and I did order a Colt Defender recoil assy for Colt.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usernameinuse View Post
Ok, today at the range was not a very good day. 99% of all issues were FTF and only one where the spent casing was not removed. After each of the FTF could see part of the recoil rod sticking out of the front of the pistol. Field stripped many time only to see the silver part of the recoil assy stuck forward a little on every one. Last one was the recoil rod sticking about 1/2 in out. Brought it home cleaned it and was able repeat the recoil rod sticking out of the pistol. Grabbed the dremal and some 600 grit sanding wheels and started working on the silver part of the recoil assy. It seems much smoother now. So tomorrow I will be taking it to the range again for some testing. Dremal is coming with me and I did order a Colt Defender recoil assy for Colt.
Sounds like your recoil spring backer plate was getting peened just like mine was. What'll happen is that the peening will plastically deform the metal of the backer plate making the plate deform enough to where it will rub on the side of the slide and frame dustcover, eventually jamming the gun. 99% of my issues are also FTF.

You will be happy with the Colt Defender recoil spring assembly. You will either have to re-use the large diameter recoil spring from ATI or you can order a Colt defender spring...or you can use Kimber recoil springs like I am doing. Keep us posted!
Old 02-11-2012, 07:51 AM

Yes that is whats happening, and I did locate the part that is causing the peening too. Up at the front of the slide where the spring bushing goes, there is a small lip on it. I think that even with the colt recoil spring the same thing will happen. I am going to talk to a gunsmith today to see what can be done about it. Might just need to do a little work with a file to get it level.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM

Well today was a much better day! After smoothing out the recoil backer plate, I had no FTF due to the backer plate catching on the slide at all! The only problem I had was the extractor not catching the brass and only pulling them out about half way. Looking down the hole that the extractor rod is in I noticed a small burr on it(looking from back to front). Hit it with the dremal and after that no more problems. 200 rds (100 rds with no failures) today, with my daughter shooting it for the first time and it was a blast!

Last edited by Usernameinuse; 02-11-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:33 AM

It's great to know I'm not alone.
I bought the gun new and right from the beginning I had jams. Stovepipe, FTE, FTE everything! even one where the spent shell was perfectly turned around and jammed in the chamber backwards! Rounds eject and nail me squarely in the forehead. The recoil rod sticks out 1/2 inch or more every shot (I fixed that by shaving down the backer plate) I now have a small collection of P14 mags (thinking maybe some of the problem might be the mag)....all stick out of the gun except the original.
The last problem was the plunger tube fell off. Under close examination it looks like the plunger tube mounting studs were sticking out slightly and touching the magazine. In fact all my mags have faint marks where the studs were touching. It's still under warranty so back it went!
I bought it thinking it would make a good carry gun, but I have zero confidence in it right now, we'll see once I get it back. I haven't given up on it but I will stick to my Kimber for a carry gun.
I will say once I got through to the company they were very nice.
I believe this will become my project gun