1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 12-30-2011, 02:56 PM

Mark IV Series 80 Enhanced Government Model

I had an old and pretty beat up SA Loaded that was a good shooter, but I couldn't get past the non-standard squared off dust cover and grip from that period, and it just wasn't a Colt. So I put an ad on my local Backpage.com advertising my interest in a trade and within 30 minutes had this deal set-up. I threw in a little cash and it was a win-win. Two 1911 guys left the parking lot of Sportsman's Warehouse happy campers yesterday afternoon. I have not shot it yet, should get to that on Monday. I'll update the thread afterward.

It is bad to have to fight. It is worse to have to fight and lose.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM

You won that round! Now make sure you post a range report!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 PM

I'd take that one over a springfield anyday. Well done!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:27 PM

Great score!
Enhanced Colts are some of the best "dollar values" in the USED 1911 marketplace.
Well built, with undercut trigger-guards and nice barrels. They can still use a tighter bushing, and I hate those duckbill grip safetys, but all-in-all a good Colt for the money.
Colt CCO (1999), Wiley Clapp Commander, Dan Wesson ECO (9x23win), H&K USP .45 Tactical, Sig SAS P220 Compact, Sig P220 in 9mm (now 9x23), Kimber Pro Aegis (9x23win), Springfield LWT GI Champion, Fusion 9x23 CCO build, S&W 329NG .44mag.
It's only lying if someone believes it.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:28 PM

Way to go,too pure!

Haven't seen many of these.

I have a S80 enhanced LW Oacp that has been a great shooter for many years.

Love the flat-tops!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:13 PM

Nice score. Looks just like mine except for the grips and trigger- mine came new with the gold cup style wraparounds and plastic trigger. Most reliable pistol I've ever had. A great workhorse.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM

How about getting black grip screws and index them and then a flush-fitting mag?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 PM

I dunno man... That's the way it came. I do have a Colt magazine but it's in my Commander and it's blue. The rest are 47D's. I used to think the bumper looked better. I don't anymore and some flush magazines are on my want list.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaCommander View Post
How about getting black grip screws and index them and then a flush-fitting mag?
Here. Just for you. Better?

Ultimately I'd like a set of grips like these walnuts but with nickel Colt medallions. I like the look of the wood on the stainless.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:20 PM

Nice buy! I will never part with mine!

They clean up pretty nicely too. Colt sells nice flush SS ones with the good followers.
Attached Thumbnails
cg-side-a3s[1].jpg  
Old 12-31-2011, 10:23 PM

Nice. This is one pistol where I can see a lot of potential for customization. As you apparently did.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_pure View Post
Nice. This is one pistol where I can see a lot of potential for customization. As you apparently did.
I purchased mine back in the 90s new off the shelf. At that time it was the nicest 45 one could buy over the counter. Since then it has eaten a little more than 10K of rounds and even taken a black bear in self defense (Not a single miss-feed). After all that I thought it needed some new life and the Colt Custom Shop answered that pretty dang nicely!

Here are a few more pics of the work just in case you haven't seen them.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=326909
Old 01-01-2012, 12:13 AM

Love it!

Just recently I picked up a Mark IV Enhanced Combat Commander in blue, a gun I'd been looking for casually for a long time. I couldn't be happier, and I definitely agree, the enhanced IV's are good values right now.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civil 45 View Post
I purchased mine back in the 90s new off the shelf. At that time it was the nicest 45 one could buy over the counter. Since then it has eaten a little more than 10K of rounds and even taken a black bear in self defense (Not a single miss-feed). After all that I thought it needed some new life and the Colt Custom Shop answered that pretty dang nicely!

Here are a few more pics of the work just in case you haven't seen them.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=326909
That serrated rib is awesome. One thing that is nice about finally having a stainless gun is I can get things like that done over time and not have to worry about refinishing every time.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Great find! Makes me feel like I'm livin' in the '90s again! Wish she were mine!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:02 AM

I bought an enhanced like that, used in 2002. It had nightsights added to it, and the hogue grips. I ditched the grips finally, and had some feeding issues, as well as accuracy issues. Barrel fit loose as heck when the slide was fully closed. Changed barrel links to a slightly longer one, and it shot like a totally different gun. I like it over my Kimber Eclipse safe queen.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:11 AM

1992 1st year Enhanced. I like mine too.
Dave

SEMPER FI
Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM

Made it to the range today. Very accurate pistol. Made me look good! On the downside, I had a lot of FTF. I'm gonna start a thread with pics of the jam and the ramp/barrel in the GS forum and get it running with help. I knew that Colts from this period are hit or miss so I was ready for the possibility that it was a jam-o-matic. Plus I had my wonderful Commander with me to finish out the session.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69charger View Post
1992 1st year Enhanced. I like mine too.
Dave

Dave,

If you ever change grips, whatcha gonna do with the tattoo????

"I've been up early my whole life, and all that ever did was increase the amount of time during the day something could go wrong." ~ Inspector O
Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 PM

I change them on another one of my 1911s.
I leave the Colt like this.
Dave
SEMPER FI
Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 PM

i got a blue one - i love it. My favorite 1911. I was always surprised that Colt would bother putting those wraparound grips on a pistol that they had an "Enhanced Cut" under trigger guard - there is a slight interference...you solved the problem the same way I did: Wooden Grips - Double Diamonds
Old 02-06-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I saw Colt enhanced just like the Op's just yesterday in a friends safe. It was his brother's and 'may' be interested in selling, but neither of us have an idea of price. A quick search of the auction sites revealed nothing of interest so I thought I'd check here when I ran into this thread. VG condition, been shot, light handling (idiot) mark, no box/papers.

What are your thoughts regarding value? I realize this is somewhat subject by region. Thanks for your help!!

Last edited by Ranger325; 02-06-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Made it to the range today. Very accurate pistol. Made me look good! On the downside, I had a lot of FTF. I'm gonna start a thread with pics of the jam and the ramp/barrel in the GS forum and get it running with help. I knew that Colts from this period are hit or miss so I was ready for the possibility that it was a jam-o-matic. Plus I had my wonderful Commander with me to finish out the session.
Just get a new extractor and have it tuned. Change the recoil spring to a Wolff 18.5 lb. unit while you're at it, and you should be good to go.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger325 View Post
I saw Colt enhanced just like the Op's just yesterday in a friends safe. It was his brother's and 'may' be interested in selling, but neither of us have an idea of price. A quick search of the auction sites revealed nothing of interest so I thought I'd check here when I ran into this thread. VG condition, been shot, light handling (idiot) mark, no box/papers.

What are your thoughts regarding value? I realize this is somewhat subject by region. Thanks for your help!!
Around here it'd be around $700-$750.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Welcome and Congratulations, Nice enhanced COLT.

Last edited by nevada 1911; 02-06-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: mistake.