1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > The Armed Citizen

Old 12-30-2011, 08:56 AM

ThankGod for training

http://news.yahoo.com/florida-marine...172856828.html

Im thankful this man is ok. What a horror show it must have been for the kids.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM

lucky for him but it sounds like he should have "backed out" of the situation when he realized it was not a well populated location but the apartment complex where the low lifes were planning to rip him off.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM

I would have to agree with you on that.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 PM

Maybe his situational awareness wasn't that great. But under the circumstances he felt it was okay. The real issue is the violent thieving bastards that he ran into. We need to bring back hanging.

Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:07 PM

Good for the Lt. Colonel, not many people would be able to keep their head in a similar situation.

Points to ponder:

- When conducting a private sale, even in public, use the armed buddy system. I always take one of my friends from work with me, he sits in the car or steps out placing the vehicle between himself and the person that I am dealing with. At the same time, his sidearm is ready. And of course, I always travel heeled.

- Necklaces aren't worth dying over. I doubt if I would have given chase.

- When engaging in CQB, expect to get hurt.

YMMV,

Fin
Old 12-30-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Maybe his situational awareness wasn't that great. But under the circumstances he felt it was okay. The real issue is the violent thieving bastards that he ran into. We need to bring back hanging.
I so totally agree. Maybe if we had harsher punishments, then crime would be down, some.

Perhaps, if convicted of a violent crime, your hanged for it if found guilty, such crime would be curtailed, somewhat.

For me, I view INTENT to be as sinfull as the actual act. If you set out to kill someone and only wound him, your intent was murder, and your punishment should fit the intent.

LOL, I hope there are no flames on this one.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post
I so totally agree. Maybe if we had harsher punishments, then crime would be down, some.

Perhaps, if convicted of a violent crime, your hanged for it if found guilty, such crime would be curtailed, somewhat.

For me, I view INTENT to be as sinfull as the actual act. If you set out to kill someone and only wound him, your intent was murder, and your punishment should fit the intent.

LOL, I hope there are no flames on this one.

Judge Roy Bean for President!

Old 12-30-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post
I don't know if it would have much impact on violent crime, because this is a whole generation of thugs who don't expect to see 40 anyway. It sure as hell would stop recidivism, though.

The Marine needs to find out if they were gang members, because if they were he and his family may be in more danger now than when the attempted robbery went down.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I don't know if it would have much impact on violent crime, because this is a whole generation of thugs who don't expect to see 40 anyway. It sure as hell would stop recidivism, though.

The Marine needs to find out if they were gang members, because if they were he and his family may be in more danger now than when the attempted robbery went down.
Yep, capital punishment may not be a deterrent, but, at least for the asshat that gets hung, there will be no repeat offending. The Colonel needs a claymore on his front door and an M-60 facing his backyard..and maybe a few members of his old command as neighbors..

COTEP CBOB0523
Old 12-30-2011, 10:07 PM

Im kind of suprised that an Old Salt would even go to Mirimar unarmed to conduct a cash transaction.
I agree with all my philisophical fellows. These thugs deserve capital punishment at the very least some serious corporal punishment followed by a legnthly penal servitude.
Keep up your situational awareness.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-marine...172856828.html

Im thankful this man is ok. What a horror show it must have been for the kids.
(1) I would have not gone to the deal site, after hearing the voice of the potential buyer.

(2) If I had gone to the deal site, I'd have gone well-armed.

(3) Aren't those perps the same guys I see on the evening news every night?

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Surprised in a way that any marine would put himself in that position. Perhaps he was pretty sure that he could handle himself.
As an old geezer with little training in hand to hand I would have shown up with my '11 on my belt or maybe not have even shown up in the first place.
The only advantage to getting older and less mobile is that you don't put yourself in places where a confrontation can occer and if your must, like riding public transportation in a metro area, you have your backup ready to go.
Thank God the perp was a lousy shot with a probably inferior caliber.
Young, mobile and tough can still get you killed.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Sorry to read that a good guy was seriously injured by punks. At least the punks ware caught.

20/20 hindsight being what it is, I wouldn't have gone into their 'hood to do the deal, especially with my kids in the car. Would have called the "buyer" and met on ground more favorable or at least neutral.

Definitely would have been armed, not had my kids with me, and would like to have had a buddy back up. Deal done in the open on neutral ground.

If I was a young tough Marine, I probably would have chased the punk, but not in his neighborhood- on open, flat ground like a shopping mall parking lot. Not worth your life to chase him for blocks and blocks.

Hoping the good guy recovers and soon. Hoping the gangsters spend maximum time behind bars.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Sorry to read that a good guy was seriously injured by punks. At least the punks ware caught.

20/20 hindsight being what it is, I wouldn't have gone into their 'hood to do the deal, especially with my kids in the car. Would have called the "buyer" and met on ground more favorable or at least neutral.

Definitely would have been armed, not had my kids with me, and a buddy back up. Deal done in the open on neutral ground.

If I was a young tough Marine, I probably would have chased the punk, but not in his neighborhood- on open, flat ground like a shopping mall parking lot. Not worth your life to chase him for blocks and blocks.

Hoping the good guy recovers and soon. Hoping the gangsters spend maximum time behind bars.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 PM

Welcome to south florida.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:48 PM

M4Finny mentioned the Armed Buddy System. +1 on that. Back in the days of pagers & newspaper ads a friend met some guys to buy a Snap-on set. I stayed in the background as the Armed Buddy. No specail deal here, I'm always armed anyhow. The sellers noticed me hanging back, then told him that they "forgot" to bring the tools. ---Forgot?? We went into the Carl's Jr to eat. They never came back. A setup? probably.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroman View Post
Welcome to south florida.
Miramar used to be a fairly nice area up till the mid 80s.
I went though there last summer and it has obviously turned into a sh%^thole since.
I admire his grit, but I wouldnt take my kids to meet an unknown person to sell jewerly too.
RIA GI .45- RIA Compact .45 RIA Compact 9mm
GSG 1911 .22