1911Forum banner

Alumagrips on double stack

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Shootin X's 
#1 ·
I've seen a several threads mentioning the need for better grips for the Rock Island double stacks, so I thought I'd post my experience. I received a pair of Alumagrips for the Para P14 in the mail today, with the hope that they would drop in right of the box. They don't, but it also didn't take much, even for a someone like myself, who is less gunsmith and more ******* with a dremel.

So here's the starting point, my double stack match 5 tactical Arnel special, currently with a Promag 20-rounder.

Immediately clear that the grips aren't going to just fall in, as it sits much too high. The safety transfer bar tunnel appears to be the culprit.

Cue the Dremel. More to remove than I first thought, but I suspect that it could have been done with less work by working at a 45 degree angle rather than flat, as I started out.

And there we go, much better.

Right hand side was a little harder, as the screw holes are off compared to the grips. Not as badly as this picture indicates, though, as the spur pushes them further off than needed.

Fixed...ish. Screws still don't line up perfectly. I could probably improve the fit by trimming the lower screw hole a hair or two, but I was rather short on time tonight.

All set!

All in all, this took me less than 30 minutes with a Dremel and a triangular file. I could probably improve the fit a little on the right side by adjusting the screw hole, but it is already a huge improvement compared to the originals.

I have no experience with the Alumagrips from before, but I'm quite pleased with them at this point. They feel like they just about stick to my hand without me even holding on to the gun. I hope to put a few rounds down range this weekend and will update with impressions then.

Thanks,

Everhome

See less See more
#5 ·
I guess I could update with that range report I mentioned eight months ago...

I have about 1,000 rounds through the gun since I put the grips on it, and I'm officially a fan of the AlumaGrips on this pistol. They're slim enough that they don't change the outline of the gun, which is especially nice on a hi-cap. The checkering is sharp and crisp without being obnoxious, and I love the way the gun stays in the hand. With the original grips, it kind of felt like it could fall out of my hand if I wasn't really paying attention, and with these I don't feel that way at all. I would go so far as to say I'm noticeably more comfortable shooting it, due to the improved grip.

Only negative I see is that with the old plastic grips, the grips were elastic enough that the screws didn't vibrate out, and they do now. Of course, a drop of loctite will take care of that, so it doesn't really count as a negative. Planning to get some nicer looking screws than the standard straight slots, so I've been holding off on that.

Now I wish I could get some AlumaGrips for my P64!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.