1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 12-26-2011, 10:41 PM

45 ACP...Accurate Solo 1000 opinions wanted

Ok folks,

I am in need of your opinions on Accurate Solo 1000 powder. I am really having a hard time choosing a powder but so far AA S1000 seems to be super clean, less felt recoil, low flash and adequate muzzle velocity. So if any of you have experience loading 45 ACP with S1000 please tell me your honest opinions and experiences with it including your load data if you would be so kind? Thanks all!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:47 PM

I used it some years ago and wasn't thrilled. My current favorite is Titegroup
Old 12-26-2011, 10:57 PM

clean, less felt recoil, low flash and adequate muzzle velocity
+
and inexpensive, burns cool so less smoke from lead, meters fine.

It's about all I use for gaming loads in .38, 9mm, .40 and .45. I'm working thru my 6th or 7th jug of this, about 50 #s loaded and/or burned.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 PM

I use it for 45 and 40 so far. Will use it in 9mm when I run out of Titegroup.

I use it because it's clean, and cheap. It takes up a lot of case volume, so for lighter loads a double charge would still overflow the case. Seems a little less smokey with moly and lead.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Banned

I, along with my other 2 friends use solo 1000.

Good powder, use use in 9mm, 40, 45acp, 38/357mag, 45 Colt.

Works great, and its a great powder for 45acp.

It is reverse temperature sensitive, so the warmer it gets, the slower it will go... something to keep in mind if your ammo needs to meet a certain power factor for matches or something. Its not bad, but if you are borderline, it will be slower if you chrono in the winter and then chrono in the summer.

MIke.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg1005

It is reverse temperature sensitive, so the warmer it gets, the slower it will go... something to keep in mind if your ammo needs to meet a certain power factor for matches or something. Its not bad, but if you are borderline, it will be slower if you chrono in the winter and then chrono in the summer.
I've tested Solo1000 in taken-from-freezer vs left-on-hot-dash conditions, and could not find a difference greater than normal intergroup variance, which is to say avg diffs of about 5 -10 fps. Are you repeating what you've heard about the rev. temp sens. or have you tested this one?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B. View Post
I've tested Solo1000 in taken-from-freezer vs left-on-hot-dash conditions, and could not find a difference greater than normal intergroup variance, which is to say avg diffs of about 5 -10 fps. Are you repeating what you've heard about the rev. temp sens. or have you tested this one?
Tested it.

I chronoed in 10* weather and then again in around 80-90* whether... to get the same velocity I needed about 0.15-0.2gr more in the hotter whether... like I said it won't make or break anyhting unless you are right on the borderline.

BUT.... I did the same day, when testing in the hot weather, leave 10 rounds in the sun for 30 mins until they were HOT... the same rounds in the shade chronoed in the high 700s/low 800fps range.... the ones left in the sun were in the high mid/high 600fps range.... I didn't believe it so I did it again... same thing happen... now of course that was an "extreme" since chrono stages at major matches are required to keep your ammo in the shade.

As a future Solo 1000 user.. the OP should know this... Just remember to chrono your ammo in warm weather and cold weather so you know your velocity range... you don't want to get screwed on the chrono at a big match. This is coming from a guy who chrono'ed 166pf (using bullseye) at MI section 2010, and now I pay attention to my match ammo a little more.

MIke.

Last edited by mikeg1005; 12-27-2011 at 09:50 AM.