1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 12-21-2011, 02:54 PM

Value of Bushmaster XM15-E2S

I don't know a lot about AR-15s, but what I do know is I want a Colt 6920!

My question: my girlfriend has given me permission to see what we can get for her Bushmaster XM15-E2S. I have a Blue Book of Gun Values so I went ahead and looked it up... low and behold it's apparently worth a lot. I believe it is the post-ban short carbine since she got it back in 2008 (sometime around then).

But the problem is, I don't think I'd ever find anyone to buy a used Bushmaster for over $600 since they can get a new one for $800 or so, or even less. Can someone tell me if this AR is worth holding onto or should we just sell it for whatever we can get someone to take for it? I'd rather pay $700 for a Colt 6920 with an Aimpoint Pro than $1400 and have two AR-15s.

Here is the listing of value from the book:
Old 12-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Administrator

If you're not in a financial pinch hold onto it. I sold a Bushy a couple of years ago and barely got $700 for it. You'd do better to wait, and then when the next "they're going to take our guns away" panic sets in you can actually sell it for a decent amount.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
If you're not in a financial pinch hold onto it. I sold a Bushy a couple of years ago and barely got $700 for it. You'd do better to wait, and then when the next "they're going to take our guns away" panic sets in you can actually sell it for a decent amount.
^^^ Good Advise.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks. So is this XM15-E2S better than the run of the mill Bushy's? I just really want that Colt BAAAAAAAD.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:17 PM

I paid $600 brand new for a Bushampster in 2006 and sold it after the elections for $2,200.

I wouldn't pay $400 for a used one.

Cameron
Old 12-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
That's my current plan also, I've the same model Bushmaster and plan on getting a Colt 6920 1st chance money permits (I hate X-Mas time, plus I needed a new laptop ).....I'll keep the Bushy till I see which way things got 2012 and worst case sell it next rush on them
Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 PM

put it on gunbroker and set it at the lowest price you'll take, if nobody bids, you just pay the couple bucks for posting the auction. Make sure you get a shipping quote first. Put a buy it now price that's inflated to the high number you'd really want and offer free ship w/ buy it now. There's plenty of people buying who have more money than sense. Sounds crazy but there's plenty of people out there who think bushmaster is the best out there, of course they dont know any better.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:34 PM

On GB you don't pay unless it sales.. unless something has changed.. I would start the bid at the minimum I would sell for and let her rip.. JMO.. Ron
Old 12-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekosROB View Post
Thanks. So is this XM15-E2S better than the run of the mill Bushy's? I just really want that Colt BAAAAAAAD.
I believe most Bushmasters are marked XM15-E2S. If I recall correctly both the 20" HBAR I had 15 years ago and the newer M4 look-alike I sold a couple of years ago were marked that way. The 20" HBAR was a phenominally accurate rifle, and I wish I'd kept it. The M4gery was actually sold unfired, which was a painful financial loss to me since I paid about $1100 for it only a year or two earlier. I bought it during the time of the presidential election, when AR's were selling like hotcakes. Then when I decided it had to go I couldn't even get the dealer I bought it from to take it back on consignment! He told me it would just sit there, because the market was by then awash in AR's and nobody would want a Bushy unles it was dirt cheap. I ended up selling it myself online, but like I said I took a soaking on the price.

At the moment, if you want to buy an AR now is the time. But if you're selling one it's better to hold off. Save up for the Colt 6920 if you can, and make plans to get rid of the Bushmaster after the end of next year. I have a strong feeling we're going to have four more years of Obama, and if the Republicans lose their grip on Congress as well it's going to be another banner year for AR sales in 2013.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM

Thanks dsk and everyone else for y'alls input. DSK, why on earth would they stamp everything XM15-E2S? What would be the easiest way for me to identify my girlfriend's AR? Measure barrel length, look at flash suppressor, etc? If it helps, she bought it at Academy new for about $1,000 - this was back around 2008 so it would make sense why it cost so much.

It really is true to say that Democratic Presidents can sometimes be the best salesperson for a firearms company, eh? Kind of ironic.

I've thought about the gunbroker route but how do you do the shipping to other states and all that if you're an individual without an FFL? You just ship it to an FFL?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
On GB you don't pay unless it sales.. unless something has changed.. I would start the bid at the minimum I would sell for and let her rip.. JMO.. Ron
Thumbnails are $.025 and then preferred listings. so in theory you can pay if it doesnt sell.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks dsk and everyone else for y'alls input. DSK, why on earth would they stamp everything XM15-E2S? What would be the easiest way for me to identify my girlfriend's AR? Measure barrel length, look at flash suppressor, etc? If it helps, she bought it at Academy new for about $1,000 - this was back around 2008 so it would make sense why it cost so much.?
That I don't know. It also doesn't help that Bushmaster sold a lot of stripped lowers and parts kits to build your own. I've seen plenty of Bushy lowers for sale, and IIRC they were also marked the same way. In fact during the AWB days it was prudent to always call Bushmaster (or whoever) with the serial number of any pre-ban rifle you were interested in, to be sure it had been sold as a complete rifle prior to the effective ban date. If it had been sold as a lower only or an incomplete rifle then it wasn't legal in pre-ban configuration, unless the seller had receipts proving it had been assembled into a complete rifle prior to the ban.

Quote:
I've thought about the gunbroker route but how do you do the shipping to other states and all that if you're an individual without an FFL? You just ship it to an FFL?
A private individual can ship directly to a receiving FFL on the buyer's end. However many FFL's prefer to receive from another FFL rather than a private individual. Not only that, but when you ship you have to either go through an FFL (which will cost you $$$ in outgoing transfer fees) or take the rifle directly to a UPS or FedEx hub (places like the UPS Store will not accept firearms).

No matter how you go about it it's a pain in the rear, and it can leave you paying fees that add insult to the injury of selling the rifle for way less than you paid for it in the first place.

Last edited by dsk; 12-22-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
A private individual can ship directly to a receiving FFL on the buyer's end. However many FFL's prefer to receive from another FFL rather than a private individual. Not only that, but when you ship you have to either go through an FFL (which will cost you $$$ in outgoing transfer fees) or take the rifle to a UPS or FedEx hub (places like the UPS store will not accept firearms).

No matter how you go about it it's a pain in the rear, and it can leave you paying fees that add insult to the injury of selling the rifle for way less than you paid for it in the first place.
Thanks again dsk. You know I wouldn't mind putting a classified ad or something like that, but I honestly would not want someone that shouldn't be buying a gun buy a gun, you know? I'd have to do it through FFL. Perhaps I can do a Craigslist ad and have them meet me at a gun shop to do the FFL transfer and have them pay me and then turn around and pay the shop.

That is, assuming we actually get around to selling the thing!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Personally I wouldn't use Craigslist for reasons of personal security. Firearms ads sometimes attract the wrong kind of people so you need to be careful when selling one. I've always sold mine either as a trade or on consignment at the local FFL, or online through a receiving FFL, never face-to-face unless it was somebody I knew. If you do be sure to stipulate requiring a valid CWP in the ad before selling it to him, just to be sure he's one of the good guys.

Last edited by dsk; 12-22-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:19 PM

PekosROB,

Maybe your LGS will take the Bushy in as a trade plus cash for the Colt? Just thinking if you want the Colt really BADDDD.

Best regards,

Joseph

Last edited by joszx67; 12-22-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: sp
Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't use Craigslist for reasons of personal security. Firearms ads sometimes attract the wrong kind of people so you need to be careful when selling one. I've always sold mine either as a trade or on consignment at the local FFL, or online through a receiving FFL, never face-to-face unless it was somebody I knew. If you do be sure to stipulate requiring a valid CWP in the ad before selling it to him, just to be sure he's one of the good guys.
That's why I'm not a big fan of Craigslist for stuff like this. But I suppose if I ever do a private aftermarket transaction I can only sell to people with a valid CHL/CWP, and even make a copy of their driver's license or their CHL/CWP, at least one or the other, in case the police come knocking at my door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joszx67 View Post
PekosROB,

Maybe your LGS will take the Bushy in as a trade plus cash for the Colt? Just thinking if you want the Colt really BADDDD.

Best regards,

Joseph
This is true, I should at least bring it up there and see if they can order it and how much they'd give me on the Bushy.

Honestly, if anything, maybe I should just pay the $200 tax for the SBR and get a 6933. Leave the Bushy for 400+ yards lol.