1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Recommendations of 1911 based 9mm pistol for concealed carry

I’m forming my 2012 wish list and looking for some help and/or recommendations on a 1911 style pistol in 9mm. I have a full sized Colt 1911 .45 and I’m going to be taking delivery on an Ed Brown Kobra Carry .45 next month, so I have the those two sizes covered. I also have a little Sig 232 .380 I can drop in my pocket for those times when the .45’s are impractical.

Any input on Makes/Models of 9mm’s would be appreciated. I’m not sure the pocket book is going to be ready for another Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk hit but looking to narrow down the choices. I’m looking more for concealed carry sized pistol that the wife or I could carry more than a full sized target style. To those asking themselves, yes, I will be carrying the Brown most of the time, remember this is a wish list. Thanks in advance…
“Arms in the hands of the citizen may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny, or private self-defense. It’s not the proper role of government to deprive a citizen of his “unalienable right” to defend his life, liberty, or property.” – John Adams
Old 12-17-2011, 12:45 PM

Springfield EMP or the new Dan Wesson ECO that will be coming out this year. Either should fit your needs perfectly......and for far lass than a Brown or Wilson
Old 12-17-2011, 12:58 PM

Wilson Combat Special Ops 9, it has all the ergonomics of the 1911. High capacity magazine to boot, 16 rounds. Been pleased with mine!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Colt:

9mm Defender or Talo New Agent 9mm
Old 12-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Springfield EMP or Kimber Aegis. The Kimber can be had in 3,4 or 5 inch.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:19 PM

STI all the way, pick a model depending on your budget.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:41 PM

Take a good look at Dan Wesson. And look at it last because it's the one you will want to buy.
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/...sson-guardian/
Old 12-17-2011, 07:41 PM

Talo New Agent 9mm, recently purchased the Talo Agent. Excellent pistol, light weight and easily concealed.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:01 PM

Kimber Ultra Aegis II,I have carried it for around a year now with approximately 700 rounds down range with zero problems.
SECONDARY-KIMBER PRO CARRY HD II
Old 12-17-2011, 10:06 PM

Save up and get a Dan Wesson Guardian.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)
Old 12-18-2011, 06:01 AM

All great suggestions, thanks, I now have research material for awhile.
“Arms in the hands of the citizen may be used at individual discretion for the defense of the country, the overthrow of tyranny, or private self-defense. It’s not the proper role of government to deprive a citizen of his “unalienable right” to defend his life, liberty, or property.” – John Adams
Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 AM

9mm 1911 for concealed carry

Any good 1911 Combat Commander length 9mm makes a good concealed carry gun. They have nice balance, allow fast target transitions, and are a good choice for self defense when using +P JHP rounds.

The STI Ranger or even the STI VIP would be my preferred choice, but there are a lot of good 9mm 1911's on the market. A 5" STI Spartan can be purchased in 9mm in the $600 price range, or the more expensive ($1,000) STI Trojan, if you want a full sized gun.

I have a lot of 1911 style guns, but one of my favorite small guns is a M-43 Star "Firestar" in 9mm. They are no longer made, but have all the features of an Officer sized 1911. Mine is very accurate with my pet handloads, and I can place all shots in the head of an IDPA target at 15 yards in my combat shooting position.

The gun is all steel and soaks up recoil better with +P loads than small polymer guns. Even though it is a bit heavier than my Kel Tec PF-9, the trigger is far superior and allows more accurate shot placement. I carry mine in an OWB holster, and it is small and thin enough to conceal easily with a golf shirt. The "Firestar" was ahead of its time as a concealed carry gun, but never got a great deal of awareness nor acceptance by the shooting public. If you can find one, it would make an excellent choice if in good condition.