1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 12-09-2011, 06:08 PM

Colt Officer guide rod

Hi,What is the pros and cons of me adding a Wilson Combat 2 piece guide rod w/ reverse plug to my Colt Officers 45 acp,the factory set-up I have been told is not reliable?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Number 1, be careful blindly believing internet tales. For every one tale of shearing the tab on the original plug...one can find more tales of good service.

Number 2, the Wilson unit, and others, require removing material from from the slide, forever altering that slide. Originality is gone. With the price of Officers...I suggest not doing that.

Number 3, search Clarks reverse plug for Officers.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM

I second the recomendation of the Clark's reverse plug if you have to install something other than the factory plug. Order a new recoil spring while you are at it.

I had one of the wilson units in an older champion, and could not get it to stay tight. I found it holding on be a few threads during more than one range session.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the input guys,as I really did not want to alter the pistol in any way.Anymore input will be greatly appreciated......
Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 PM

If I stay with the stock guide rod ,what brand and lb of recoil spring would you guys suggest I replace the factory one with?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:28 PM

Greetings, All,

I had a King's full length recoil setup, complete with stainless bushing, added to my little Officers, back in the 1980's, I believe. A few other things were added, too, like a King's National match trigger and a match ejector from Wilson's, in addition to a trigger job and some refinishing work. The bushing never worked out well for me, but now I'm wondering it I needed to shoot it more, rather than just replacing it with the Colt original. I had thought it was a match bushing all these years, but after perusing King's catalog (those to whomever posted that!), I see it's a stock replacement package for the Officer's, complete with Shok-Buff, which mine also has.

I love the full length recoil setup and have never had a single hiccup with it. Even though the Shok-Buff has fallen in disfavor with most folks, for use in an Officers ACP, mine seems to like them just fine, and it's been perking along without problems ever since I had that installed. I certainly don't wish to fix what isn't broken, and so will leave it that way. But, I do want to go back and make that King's bushing work on my Officers. Hummmm..... We'll see how it all turns out. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Old 12-10-2011, 12:40 PM

I bought a used OACP and the first time I fired it the recoil plug broke off and went down range. I got a Clark reverse plug and it dropped right in. I think in your case I might buy an extra just in case, especially if you can find one reasonably priced. But if you have more than one gun you could wait and see if it breaks.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 AM

So are you saying the Clark plug will drop right in on an unaltered factory Officer acp
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
A few other things were added, too, like a King's National match trigger and a match ejector from Wilson's, in addition to a trigger job and some refinishing work.
Hi, All,

I got a note from a fellow forum member this morning, asking about my "match ejector". In truth, it was not a "match ejector", if such a thing even exists, but rather a match extractor, from WC. Sorry about the mistake. As I told this Gentleman, guess I'm gettin' old and forgetful! SHEESH!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc